Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone definitively say, or point me to research, that even if you install a non-Isofox seat correctly, Isofix is still actually safer.

All of the articles I have read suggest that Isofix is safer because 70% of non-Isofix seats are installed incorrectly etc, and Isofix makes it almost idiot-proof to install properly, but assuming that you do install a non-Isofix seat 100% correctly, are they then all as "safe" as each other.

I could see an argument that says Isofix is safer as the seat is then effectively fixed to the chassis of the car, but no-one seems to mention that.

(ps. if you don't know what Isofix is, you are unlikely to know the answer to my question :wink: )

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
Neil - I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can relate to you what we were told when we bought ours.

ISOFIX makes it, like you said, idiot proof to to install. So, assuming everything else was the same (seat design), an ISOFIX seat is likely to be 'better'. The problem is that because ISOFIX has this additional feature, it can artificially inflate the rating of a particular seat.

So, if you had two seats, with a similar rating (but of different design), it's possible that the ISOFIX version had been given a higher rating due to the fixing rather than the safety of the seat. And that in the event of an impact, it may be worse for a baby than a correctly fitted non-ISOFIX seat. [smiley=dizzy2.gif]

In the end, we looked at both, but took the advice given and ended up with a very well designed, non-ISOFIX seat. When correctly installed, there was really no movement.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kell said:
Does that make sense?
Yes, it does, thanks Kell.

Like you say...
Kell said:
In the end, we looked at both, but took the advice given and ended up with a very well designed, non-ISOFIX seat. When correctly installed, there was really no movement.
... this is where I am leaning at the moment, as I can't see how Isofix is "better", notwithstanding the "easier to fit" theory, but if it was actually "safer" overall then I would go with Isofix, regardless of the additional cost (not insignificant, when buying 3). Once they are in the cars, they'll stay in there for about 3 yrs, so I'm not bothered about the ease of moving / fitting them in different cars on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
We have ISOFIX and to be honest it isn't as rock solid as I expected, and I have checked to make sure it is fitted properly. We use it with a maxi cosy at the moment. It is however really simple to lift the car seat in and out one simple lever and the seat lifts out.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cuTTsy said:
We use it with a maxi cosy at the moment. It is however really simple to lift the car seat in and out one simple lever and the seat lifts out.
We've got a maxi-cosi cabriofix now, and I agree it's great, dead easy, and I wouldn't be without it, it would be a nightmare (well, much more time consuming) using the belt each time we put him in the car. But with a Group 1 seat, I don't know that I would really see the benefit of Isofix if's just easier fitting, as I'll put the seat in the car on day 1, and it won't leave the car unless I sell the car, or when he moves on to the next level seat (3 yrs time I guess).

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think the isofix seats seem more solidly installed, and there is less dependence on the seatbelt system - anchoring directly to the car wins my vote.. although maybe there's less shock absorbsion/slow deceleration?

We have a seatbelt type in my wife's Leon, and its pretty solid, but takes some physical effort to get it locked in tight, whilst I have the isofix (but slightly updated) version of the same seat in my M3 and it's absolutley rock solid..

...so solid infact I don't think I'll ever be able to remove it! the release catches are down the side of the seat and you have to have very, very small fingers to reach them due to the way the seats bucket a bit.

I went for isofix in the M3 as it's a convertible and by my logic that would hold it in much better should the worst to happen and we end up on the roof or side (god forbid!)

With hindsight think we would have gone for an isofix for my wife's car too, as she can't figure out the seatbelt routing or doesn't have enough strength to lock it in properly... bless ;) so if you have to take it in/out a lot go isofix!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
It is generally accepted that isofix is better, however since being released it is also accepted that the two point isofix seats have the propensity for the seat to tip forward in an accident. To combat this there is now a 3 point isofix system which resolves this issue.

What is slightly annoying is that group 2/3 seats that have isofix genarally use the standard seatbelt to secure the child where I certainly prefer the 5 point locking system on group 0/1 seats.

I have experienced both types for group 0 and 1 seats and in all honestly they've been as good as each other, the isofix seat being far easier to put in and take out and far less time consuming than the other. The standard fitting seat was prefered by the litlun because he could see out of the window easier due to it sitting higher than the isofix seat.

If you have isofix installed in your car which you should if it was manufactured after 2002, then I personally would use it.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The Might Tite is the dogs if you're worried about loose fit with seats anchored with the seat belt - once tightened the seat doesn't budge at all. Been particularly useful when hiring cars abroad - I'm not sure where they get those child seats from as they're hard to fit and almost impossible to stop them moving.

http://www.babysecurity.co.uk/p/333240/ ... ener-.html

Took delivery of two of these Britax seats this morning - chose this as rated Best Buy for 2-3 seats in Which? in March and ISOFIX prevents it moving around on the back seat when empty. Installed in a few minutes without any need to call out Mrs B to help - great product!

http://www.childcarseatsdirect.com/File ... zurich.asp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.