Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my keys are looking old...What about these keys from ebay? Are they easy to programme (vagcom) or do you have to go to the dealer to get it activated? What about getting the blade cut? Local locksmith/key cutter?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
I bought some new cases with the buttons for about £6 delivered off eBay

Swapped out the insides, swapped over the key blade (they come with a fresh one if you want to have it cut) and put the Audi badge on (they don't ship with them for copyright reasons apparently!)

Bobs your uncle - new keys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
olivarrr said:
I bought some new cases with the buttons for about £6 delivered off eBay

Swapped out the insides, swapped over the key blade (they come with a fresh one if you want to have it cut) and put the Audi badge on (they don't ship with them for copyright reasons apparently!)

Bobs your uncle - new keys.
Have you got a link?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
I bought the same one, started taking mine apart but couldn't get the chip out or the top section apart. I was about to take a saw to it then realised mines a double battery fob not a single! Good job I realised first. The double battery fobs are £14.99 though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ruddie1 said:
I bought the same one, started taking mine apart but couldn't get the chip out or the top section apart. I was about to take a saw to it then realised mines a double battery fob not a single! Good job I realised first. The double battery fobs are £14.99 though.
Ah crap. Just taken mine apart and its a solid top and bottom and have ordered the other ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ruddie1 said:
I bought the same one, started taking mine apart but couldn't get the chip out or the top section apart. I was about to take a saw to it then realised mines a double battery fob not a single! Good job I realised first. The double battery fobs are £14.99 though.
Hi Ruddie1. Would you have a link to one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
You might still have the right one, have you checked how many batteries you have?

Pry the top bit apart (the half without the key blade) with your hands, or a small flat-head screwdriver. In there should be your battery. If you have 1 battery, then you've ordered the right part. As far as I know most TT's have 1!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
olivarrr said:
You might still have the right one, have you checked how many batteries you have?

Pry the top bit apart (the half without the key blade) with your hands, or a small flat-head screwdriver. In there should be your battery. If you have 1 battery, then you've ordered the right part. As far as I know most TT's have 1!
Thanks ok so I'll try that today. What about the transponder part where the key is. How do I get that apart and how do I get the transponder goodies out?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
I am also going to tackle this over the weekend :)

How did you all get the main Circuit board out? I seem to remember you may have to heat up the two pins that hold it in place, or even do some careful sawing?

Be good to hear how you all achieved it.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I got the key apart. The bottom half has one battery, and a circuit board. Is there anything in the top half? Can't seem to get it to part.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,514 Posts
silverbadger said:
If you mean the part with the 4 rings logo on.
Under the logo when peeled off you will find a screw. Just unscrew to take apart the blade section. In that half of the fob is the imobilser reed. You need to prize that out to put in a new fob housing with the circuit board and blade. The reed is glass and easily broken. It's glued in - some suggest using thinners or alcohol to dissolve the glue. I never tried that, I just carefully cut the glue with a scalpel blade. I found getting the board out intact the real pain - ended up hacking the old fob to get the two brass rivets out.
Hope this helps.

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
i bought a case from ebay as the 2 halfs were held together with gaffa tape.
first i couldn't get the circuit board out due to the brass lugs and wasn't brave enough to drill or break them. The wife using her logic simply replaced the rest of the case and the only but that didn't change was the front bit with the circuit board attached. she then swapped the 3 buttons as they just pop out and also switched the blank key fob for the old cut one.
it looks pretty new with the mix. and is now in one piece too. Good wifey!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top