Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I install iTunes on a new PC, is it possible to copy all the music from my Ipod across to the PC or do I need to copy all my CDs across from the original discs.

I know its a noob question, but I dont use iTunes much.
Also I dont need the anticipated apple stuff is rubbish arguements, I only bought it whilst waiting for my TT to be delivered.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You can copy your tunes off your Ipod, you will need some software like podutil to do so. The Ipod on windows stores music in a funny way, one album will be split into several different folders.

To see them, you will also need to view hidden folders, can't remember how to do it though, as been using a mac for to long..

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
i'm finding the whole ipod and itunes not as easy as i thought.

my previous archos was easier as it can input/ edit names, folders etc. on the unit itself or change when plugged in

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
idump- build 27 is free to download from download.com

Its a piece of piss to use and copies very quick.
Just have to make sure your ipod is set so you manage your own tunes - but the help tab on the software will show you.
Oh and if it asks you to reformat your ipod for windows then just cancel it.

Regds

Matt

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
yamipod http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/downloads/ will copy all the music from your iPod to a folder on your computer.
They will then have to be copied to iTunes so they can end up in your iTunes Music folder. This folder is what iTunes actually displays.
Excellent stand alone programme. Open it, plug in your iPod and all the music on it is shown and ready to select and copy.
It saved my life when my then 10,000 track iTunes Music folder corrupted and I lost it.

BUT...If you have all the music on another PC in the iTunes Music folder then the easiest way is to copy that folder
(copy the whole folder and not just the music inside it) to an external drive and then replace the new PCs iTunes Music folder with that one
and when you open iTunes on the new PC it will display all the music exactly as it was before.

Sorry if I don't make myself perfectly clear but I find all of iTunes dead easy to use but harder to explain. :oops:
I've put 20,000+ tracks of all kinds into my iTunes and if I don't know how it works by now, then I might as well give up. :wink:

A word of caution/warning.
It can take years of work to build up a large iTunes music library
and iTunes is well known for corrupting and losing the library, so it is best to regularly back up the library to another drive/disk.
This applies to all valuable data you have on your computer.
All data should be backed up to a drive/disk that does not contain the windows operating system because if Windows corrupts you can also lose everything. :evil:

John.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions.

John - Ive found out from recent experience it is to lose all the data on a HDD. I am usless at backing up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.