Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Motul 8100 x-lite, nectar of the gods

"Specifically designed for powerful and recent cars, diesel direct injection or gasoline engines and catalytic converters. Recommended for Audi TT and S3 and all W engines from Volkswagen group. Suitable for leaded or unleaded gasoline, Diesel fuels and LPG. ACEA A3 / B4 API SL / CF VW 502 00 / 505 00 / 503.01 Mercedes Benz 229.3. BMW LL-098."

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
triplefan said:
Motul 8100 x-lite, nectar of the gods

"Specifically designed for powerful and recent cars, diesel direct injection or gasoline engines and catalytic converters. Recommended for Audi TT and S3 and all W engines from Volkswagen group. Suitable for leaded or unleaded gasoline, Diesel fuels and LPG. ACEA A3 / B4 API SL / CF VW 502 00 / 505 00 / 503.01 Mercedes Benz 229.3. BMW LL-098."
Thanks for that, i've been looking at some Castrol Edge sport which is 0w-40 whereas the motul is 0w-30 so is the Castrol a better spec oil ?

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
The range of numbers indicates the relative viscosity at low and high temperatures.

So a 0-30W will be like a 0 grade when cold and a 30 grade when hot.

The higher the number the thicker the oil

The Castrol would effectively be thicker at higher temperatures, only you know how hard you drive the car and whether you need a thicker oil.

But it is when cold that the most wear occurs, and the Motul is ester based, which gives added protection when cold

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts
You've got a 225 so it needs to be VW 503.01 or 504.00 spec. The Motul 8100 X-lite 0W-30 Ester based product has the advantage of both Ester base and meeting the spec.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank for the help guys, So John what's the advantage of it being ester based ? also i have half a bottle of the castrol stuff i have been using for top ups would it still be ok to top up with this if i used the Motul ?

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts
Aircraft engines exclusively specify Ester based oils because of their superior properties. The molecules are polarised and stick to bearing surfaces so the oil doesn't all drain back to the sump and leave the bearings dry. It's a bit like having a thicker oil with a higher surface tension (or a wax additive with electrostatic polarisation) there's more of it to initially lubricate the engine on startup where most wear occurs. But the oil isn't thicker, as that's the first number in the viscosity multigrade spec, (e.g. 0W30) so doesn't give extra drag for cold starting on a cold morning like a higher number would give.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
So the best of both worlds, plus you can sleep easy knowing you given you baby the very best in liquid lubrication

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.