Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have just bought a 2001 TT 225. It drove like a dream on the test drive so I bought it. However on the way the check engine light came on but still drove great.
I took at to a friends house and got the fault code read. It came back with P0171 (system too lean bank 1). He cleared the fault and I took it for a drive back home and the car hesitated/misfired when accelerating breifly then it was fine for the next 10 miles with no CEL.

Any ideas? MAF? o2 sensor?

Thanks,
Barry.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
FerryScoob said:
ashmo said:
Exactly the same as mine, is it modified in any way?
No bog standard with a full service history. Am a bit gutted because the car is mint.
This got me when i bought mine,, car was mint drove fantastic within a couple of
months i was absolutely broke for a long time through issues.. :?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TT SMITHY said:
FerryScoob said:
ashmo said:
No bog standard with a full service history. Am a bit gutted because the car is mint.
This got me when i bought mine,, car was mint drove fantastic within a couple of
months i was absolutely broke for a long time through issues.. :?
Not filling me with a huge amount of confidence. sorry yours ended up a money pit

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
im sure yours wont be to bad like anything you get the good ones and then the money pits
for the money i spent i should of been driving around in a Nissan GTR :lol:

this forum is very helpful so dont worry might save you a few quid :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TT SMITHY said:
im sure yours wont be to bad like anything you get the good ones and then the money pits
for the money i spent i should of been driving around in a Nissan GTR :lol:

this forum is very helpful so dont worry might save you a few quid :)
Yeah I had a similar experience with an Impreza. Bought it for 5grand in 2004 and and with 3 months I had spent the same again keeping it on the road and then it went steadily up from there. Ended up hating it and giving the thing away.

·
Registered
710 Posts
hi there
had this problem twice on my wifes tt. 1st time it was breather hoses split. 2nd time it was a vacume pipe off at the plenum. bothe times it came up with bank 1 fuel to lean. have a check of your breather system of hoses and your vacume pipes. easy fix if it is but i would get new ones asap. otherwise could cause more probs in the future.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
FerryScoob said:
ashmo said:
could be something simple buddy.... just check everything methodically.... and you'll find the problem + you'll know the engine bsy inside out :D :D :D thats half the fun....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: checked for leaks, nothing obvious. Tried swappin maf from a 180 but thats a smaller diameter. So have unplugged the maf and the car has boost again but now the traction light has come on.
So I think it needs a new maf and then erase the codes and see how it goes.
Any other advice?

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,889 Posts
Hi, As I suggested replace the MAF with genuine Bosch, fault light should clear after a couple of runs.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hoggy said:
Hi, As I suggested replace the MAF with genuine Bosch, fault light should clear after a couple of runs.
Hoggy. :D
Many thanks hoggy. Next question where is cheapest for a maf. I checked euro carparts last night and they listed them for £68 but now I can't find them on there site.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.