Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2001 TT180 today, all good except that the windows have a mind of their own. Typically, if you leave the passenger door open for >30 seconds, the passenger window will fully open and so probably will the driver's window. Dealer says they will get it fixed, but was wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows what problem might be.

Nic

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
sorry don't know how to fix and dealer never has but it has happened several times with the TT and numerous times with my S3 over last 7 years and never managed to solve problem.
It happened once when car was in car park so was lucky mostly when at home in the garage or on drive.

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Try resetting them by turning on the ignition. Draw down both the passenger and drivers windows at the same time, hold for 20 seconds then close them all the way up at the same time and hold for another 20 seconds. See if that works :).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone one know if there is a control box for window operation. I'm thinking there must be something that receives an input from the door switch to drop the window when the door is opened/closed and also which gives window fully opened when window switch is operated momentarily?

·
Registered
84,232 Posts
trophy160 said:
Car didn't come with owners manual!
You can get them from the dealers for about £7

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
southjj said:
theres something in the owners manual about windows opening when unlocking(key remote section)
Yes, what you are alluding to is a setting that can be configured which will allow the windows to be opened by unlocking with the remote and holding the unlock button down... the reverse is true - lock with remote and holding the lock button down will close the windows. It has often been surmised that the 'windows opening on their own' issue was as a result of 'keys in the pocket' syndrome, but I deconfigured this function on mine and the windows still occasionally open by themselves albeit far less frequently (in fact I cant recall the last time they did now). As as first step I'd find someoen with VAGCOM to deconfigure this function - its not that useful.

There was another view that there were issues with the windows mechtronic software (the 'microcontroller' in the window motor) and that a later revision cured the issue but this has never, AFAIK, been confirmed, although some people have reported the problem reduced afer a change of motor for other reasons...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So are you saying that each window motor has its own micro controller? Odd thing is, that as soon as the passenger window does its opening trick, the driver's side does so as well. So if there are two micro controllers, then they appear to be communicating, I had assumed there was a single control unit for the two windows.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
trophy160 said:
So are you saying that each window motor has its own micro controller? Odd thing is, that as soon as the passenger window does its opening trick, the driver's side does so as well. So if there are two micro controllers, then they appear to be communicating, I had assumed there was a single control unit for the two windows.
yes they are seperate, but the common element is the connection to the central locking unit... its that communication that causes the issue...

Here is the window wiring diagram...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So if I read this correctly, if all else fails, knocking out the connection J429 to the control module central locking should solve the problem as the spurious signal telling the windows to open must be coming down that wire.

By the way, what manual are these pages extracted from, looks like I need to get a copy of it for future reference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.