Audi TT Forum banner
641 - 657 of 657 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
What a fantastic piece of kit the Ignitron is.
Many thanks to Balázs Farkas and the team behind Ignitron ECU . Spent some time playing with the boost by gear and Launch control maps to tweak the launch on the TT. Made so much easier by the fact that the whole process is really devoid of human input after the brake pedal is lifted. With the fantastic logging facilities you can look at ABS wheel speeds on launch and see whats going on. I have found by optimising the RPM and throttle position along with limiting the boost in 1st and seconds gears you can very much get the best launch possible with the available traction. The best launch seems to occur when the wheel slip is small and wheel speeds across all 4 wheels are within a few mph of each other.
Also upped the boost to 2.2 bar in the midrange it has improved the 0-100mph figure and a 10 second quarter should easily be done now. Unfortunately I lifted off early on my private test road and only managed an 11.05 quarter at 102mph. That would easily have been a 10.9 something around 124-25 mph.
Wonder how much quicker it would be without the big wing on the back.

Screenshot_2021-07-10-21-11.05 speeds.png

Screenshot_2021-07-10-21-11.05 graph.png

Screenshot_2021-07-10-21-6.76s 0-100 graph.png

Screenshot_2021-07-10-21-2.99s 0-60 speeds.png

Screenshot_2021-07-10-21-2.99s 0-60 graph.png

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Very cool! Love seeing what you've done. [smiley=cheers.gif]

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Sub 3 seconds to 60MPH is pretty brutal! I would fear for my clutch and drive shafts with launches like that! Aware your on a DSG box now, but have you upgraded the Haldex mechanically? Just wondering what torque that can cope with...

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
drmotorsport said:
Sub 3 seconds to 60MPH is pretty brutal! I would fear for my clutch and drive shafts with launches like that! Aware your on a DSG box now, but have you upgraded the Haldex mechanically? Just wondering what torque that can cope with...
I don't think it's as brutal as it might seem. The beauty of having the Ignitron ECU is the fantastic logging facilities it has. If you log an event it will log every sensor , status bit etc on the ECU and also probably another 40 parameters from other modules such as the ABS wheel speed sensors, steering angle, brake pedal pressure, fuel level etc etc.
You can look at things like the ABS wheel speeds to see whats happening with wheel slip and spin and correct boost and throttle settings to give the required result. Because the DSG launch process is fairly consistent the differences you would get with human involvement is removed.
The launch I have now doing a 3 second 0-60 is no more harsh on the transmission and car as the one I did to do a 3.67s 0-60 with a manual gearbox.
This was 3.67s 0-60 with the manual box.

You can see from the logs that the launch control set up at 4500rpm only makes about 0.4bar of boost. Any more than this and it just spins the wheels. Boost gradually increases upto 1.8 bar in first gear. The Boost by gear mapping helps to progressively increase the power and torque to stop uncontrolled wheel spin. This is how modern high performance cars manage to achieve such great performance.With such control over the transmission and engine you can optimise the package.

6.76s 0-100 log.JPG

These are the wheel speed sensor readings from the 0-60 part of that 2.99s run. You can see it actually takes about 70ms before the rears start rotating after the fronts have moved.

0-60 ABS wheel sensor.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
As the saying goes, power means nothing without control, are you not tempted to remove the wing just to see how much time can be shaved off when you next go up the strip.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
The front wheels are spinning up a little on launch, the wheel speed may be 10 mph but the car isn't going that fast. It's only when everything settles down a bit that you get moving. There may still be a bit in it by launching at a slightly lower RPM the problem then is that the car seems to bog a bit. There isn't much in between getting a great launch and lighting all the tyres up and just leaving two black stripes on the road.

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
Just a quick question regarding BAM to DSG, did it have a special DMF which the input shaft goes into? I havnt seen a decent picture online when visualising how they fit together.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
The DMF is the one used on the donor car that I got the gearbox off a 2012 TTS. These have exactly the same 6 bolt crankshaft mounting as the 1.8T. Later 2.0 engines switched to an 8 bolt mount for the DMF. You just need to fit a spigot bearing in the centre of the crank to support the input shaft of the DSG box. This is the same part as used in the 2.0 TFSI engine used in the TTS, and just presses in.

DSC_6271.JPG

You can see the DMF in the bottom right of the picture.

DSC_6060.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am aware of the various mods you can make to hopefully improve the reliability of the 02m .
Another mod you can do with the input shaft is press a steel insert into the hollow shaft.
This probably does as much to stop deflection of the input shaft which causes the teeth to partially mesh and overload thus causing them to break. The shaft support needs regular adjustment to make sure the slipper block is in the correct position.

https://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/vollwell ... illetshaft

For now I have just ammended the boost by gear maps for 4th and 6th gear. Doesn't make very much difference to the performance of the car as 1.8 bar will still be around 460bhp plus.

View attachment 449891
Hello .. new to the forum .. have been searching for any possible upgrades to the 6 spd transmission as I have just blown my 4th gear .. DSG is not really an option for me but interested in any upgrades that can make the 02M transmission hold more power.. any more info would be appreciated..

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
Havn't you already got a thread discussing your gearbox? What sort of torque do you have? There's a shim that can be fitted on the output shaft (but that's to help gear selection) and there's also a support plate that can be fitted externally.. but I assume you're not 400+ft/lb..

I think the transfer box might go before a looked after gearbox. And I know "StaceyS3" on ASN was snapping driveshafts when drag racing his modified S3.

I think BWSTT changed one of Badger5s customer's gearboxes after that was broken (excessive launching?) But would have been high torque...

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·
Hi, There are a few ways of improving the strength of the 02m box. The main way people do this is using the 4th gear support. This supports the input shaft and helps to stop it from flexing and moving away from the 4th gear which then stops the teeth from fully meshing and causes them to break off. You can also get an insert pressed into the shaft which will reduce flex.
You can get uprated steel selector forks that don't have issues with rivets failing, you can of course replace the rivets with bolts.
A monster gears gearset is a very good upgrade but costs as much as a DSG box would.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Havn't you already got a thread discussing your gearbox? What sort of torque do you have? There's a shim that can be fitted on the output shaft (but that's to help gear selection) and there's also a support plate that can be fitted externally.. but I assume you're not 400+ft/lb..

I think the transfer box might go before a looked after gearbox. And I know "StaceyS3" on ASN was snapping driveshafts when drag racing his modified S3.

I think BWSTT changed one of Badger5s customer's gearboxes after that was broken (excessive launching?) But would have been high torque...
Sorry new to the forum… and not sure if this was directed to me .. I started a thread but no responses… not trying to highjack this thread but figured might be easier to get more info … I am running over 500hp not sure of torque .. but probably close to the 400 lbs.. I bought a tuned car that was built to show off tuners abilities … and now trying to make the car drivable with this power.. hoping to make the 6 spd transmission last a bit .. i appreciate any help ..

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #655 ·
A little bit late as these videos were from a trackday at the end of July. Surprised to see Lee Whitehead there and nice to finally meet him. Nice to get some feedback from somebody with a "serious" track TT. The day was a bit of a test for the DSG gearbox. On the previous track day at Mallory I didn't do that much running before the car had an issue with the wheel bearing and the DSG cooling wasn't good.
So here I was running with modified cooling for the DSG and only running 1.5bar boost 95% of the time, going to 1.8bar on the long straights with the push to pass.
Car is plenty fast enough at this. With the top map running 2 bar probably would have been close to 150mph on the 1km straight.
Car ran really well, DSG oil temps seemed to be pretty good with a maximum reading seen all day around 124 degrees, but typically around 100-110 degrees which I am happy with.
Extra exhaust silencer seemed to work, never got pinged at all for a noisy exhaust.
Bought a cheap Nextbase reconditioned camera off Fleabay. Has built in GPS speed and is time stamped so you can easily work out lap times to the nearest second. Also you don't have to remember to turn it on and off . Seems to work well, the pictures on this are a bit dark as the camera is looking through the tint at the top of the screen.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113867505225?
Uploaded some videos .
Following Lee around the track for a bit .
https://youtu.be/b7-Ij15DiaE
Overtook this Factory Leon Cupra race car a few times, think he was trying a little too hard to stop it happening again. It was a Pukka car on full slicks so surprised it spun that easily.
https://youtu.be/ihP5NgikAwg
Overtaking queues of cars is quite easy even when the one at the front is an M3.
https://youtu.be/wbGEXI9GR98
And caught this M4 with an older full track spec M3 in front. Thought the M4 was going to let me through when he ran out wide. Good job I hung back a bit. Easy overtake on the straight .
https://youtu.be/1DIcb-qs68A

Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood Car

Lee Whiteheads track TT.
Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire Sky

Sky Cloud Vehicle Wheel Tire

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #657 ·
Not been back on the dyno since I fitted the gearbox. There is a possibility of a dyno day being organised at Badger 5 through the forum. I run the car in Tiptronic/ manual mode and use Ignitron to control the change up points, If I want to change earlier I just use the paddles or use the gearchange to change. Sometimes when you have a good amount of lock on it's difficult to get to the correct flappy paddle so just push or pull the gearchange for a shift.

641 - 657 of 657 Posts