Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my TTR is rattle-free again, I thought you might appreciate me sharing... two areas of intervention:

1) the wind deflectors supports under the rear shocks might crack open, and the deflector itself will clutter about on bumpy roads. I would have never guessed, even after emptying the whole boot. Changed under warranty, 10 mins. of work. Now the ride is smooth as silk!

2) the door lock cable rattling against the door inner panel itself, passenger side only. A little padding, new clips all over the door panel and the rattle is gone. p.s. one disappointment (proving that ignorance is bliss indeed): non-Bose cars have only two-way door speakers, with a very sad-looking empty space beneath the midrange grille... but then the only thing we want is more bass, right? :twisted:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Glad its all sorted.

I seem to have a rattle (or 2 ) on mine but it does seem to move dpeending on driving conditions but I have tracked the little bugger down.

I thought it was from the passenger door panel, this door does seem to be "slightly" noisier when closing with window down than drivers door.

BUT, the big rattle is coming fromt he handbrake - If I hold the handbrake and press the release button in it stops dead - maybe the spring is too loose or something but it needs atttention - only bad on really poor road surfaces.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is the rattle in the drivers door a tinny sort of noise that resonates at about 40 mph on unsmooth surface? Also the rear spoiler noise is that like a clunk when you go over bumps? I'll take this post when I go to the dealers I am suffering with all these symptoms (and more). It's been in once but the dealer didn't manage to sort the issues, infact the car seems worse now !

Good post, good advice....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Good post nippo - cheers!

I have one which seems to come from the passenger corner of the car either the glove box or the passenger door. Seems to be infrequent too.

I'm not that sure on where the lock cable is on the passenger door - could you post a bit more detail on how you fixed please mate? I will give it a try.

Cheers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Fac51 said:

I have one which seems to come from the passenger corner of the car either the glove box or the passenger door. Seems to be infrequent too.

I'm not that sure on where the lock cable is on the passenger door - could you post a bit more detail on how you fixed please mate? I will give it a try.

Cheers.
I thought my main rattle was form fornt of passenger door / glove box - - - until I held the handbrake and pressed the button -

·
Registered
379 Posts
huggy said:
Fac51 said:

Cheers.
I thought my main rattle was form fornt of passenger door / glove box - - - until I held the handbrake and pressed the button -
Cheers for that. I'm taking the car out in half an hour or so I will give it try. Disappointing to hear so many of us are having these rattles. Of all the things I expected of Audi I thought solid build would be a pre-requisite.

Will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Glad to hear you got that rattle sorted, can be infuriating :twisted: Like already said disappointed to hear about build issues with AUDI. Their rock solid build was one of the things that attracted me to them. Hope I don't regret getting mine :x

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lossyman said:
Is the rattle in the drivers door a tinny sort of noise that resonates at about 40 mph on unsmooth surface? Also the rear spoiler noise is that like a clunk when you go over bumps?
Exactly. The door noise was also noticeable listening to classical music...

I must say, being there when the door was taken apart, the car is remarkably well built under the skin... after all you can hear little noises in a sportscar (which means the thing is quite anyway, and that's good build to me); the problems are caused by tiny bits of plastic here and there, and so far my dealer has been just impeccable with everything (noisy brakes, missing centre armrest, rattles, service). That is much more valuable to me than any audi-badged umbrella can ever be.

Now that I'll be moving to Essex, after reading all your horrible stories of bad service and general incompetence, I am worried about who will take care of my TT in the UK.
Recommendations welcome :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I've had both rattles for a while now and the car has been in for the best part of 2 weeks while the dealers best rattles guy has tried to find the problem. But these sound exactly the same as mine.

May also explain why the doors on mine sound like they are about to fall off when you close them and why the dealers car I borrowed when mine was in sounded more like a premium car when closing the doors!

I've printed off this thread and will hand it to the dealer next time I am in!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.