Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading about the launch control feature on the 3.2's, I decided at a set of lights to do the same process. Stick it into 'S', turn ESP off, left foot brake, bury the throttle...

It went to just over 2000rpm and held it there, lights turn green, release the brake and it flew! I didn't think these had launch control? But I haven't been able to launch like this any other way!?

Baffled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,514 Posts
L0z said:
From reading about the launch control feature on the 3.2's, I decided at a set of lights to do the same process. Stick it into 'S', turn ESP off, left foot brake, bury the throttle...

It went to just over 2000rpm and held it there, lights turn green, release the brake and it flew! I didn't think these had launch control? But I haven't been able to launch like this any other way!?

Baffled.
So far as I am aware launch control only applies to the DSG box.
So, and I might be a mile out here but....I think all your process is doing is 'winding up' the torque converter to the point where friction restriction equals the engines ability to overcome the torque converter . Not a practise I think is wise in the long run for the health of your box. The DSG box on the other hand can sense the brake pedal being depressed and does not engage the same as your clutch - DSG being a wet (oil bathed) version of a normal clutch and no torque converter. Hence the full drive is not there till the brake releases and the clutch is used.

Again, other my correct my assumptions above. - Anyone confirm or deny ?

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
What youre doing there is reaching whats called the 'stall point' of the gearbox torque converter.
Its not technically a launch control as such but a very similar scenario.

In the DSG, the launch control is just that, a controlled launch. With the foot on the brake, the clutches are disengaged and the revs are limited to 3200 rpm until the brake is released and then the clutches engage with full rpm restored - and then off you go.

Doing this too often with an auto box might shag the torque converter.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wasn't sure what to call it as I know it's just the DSG box that has the launch control. It works very well though!

However, I don't think I shall be launching it like that every time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
When I did my apprenticeship at Land Rover, we used to put the auto Range Rovers in low range, foot on the brakes and floor the accelerator to get them to wheelspin!! 8)
You couldn't hold them at stand still because of the torque they produced!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,514 Posts
antcole said:
What youre doing there is reaching whats called the 'stall point' of the gearbox torque converter.
Its not technically a launch control as such but a very similar scenario.

In the DSG, the launch control is just that, a controlled launch. With the foot on the brake, the clutches are disengaged and the revs are limited to 3200 rpm until the brake is released and then the clutches engage with full rpm restored - and then off you go.

Doing this too often with an auto box might shag the torque converter.....
Umm think I said most of that Ant :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
Tritium said:
antcole said:
What youre doing there is reaching whats called the 'stall point' of the gearbox torque converter.
Its not technically a launch control as such but a very similar scenario.

In the DSG, the launch control is just that, a controlled launch. With the foot on the brake, the clutches are disengaged and the revs are limited to 3200 rpm until the brake is released and then the clutches engage with full rpm restored - and then off you go.

Doing this too often with an auto box might shag the torque converter.....
Umm think I said most of that Ant :?
Ooops sorry mate.... i realise that... i was interrupted and came back later to post it finally but didnt check the replies..... great minds and all that hehehee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the replies guys.

I was just amazed that with esp off and in s mode, no wheel spin whatsoever, it just pulled!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
L0z said:
Cheers for the replies guys.

I was just amazed that with esp off and in s mode, no wheel spin whatsoever, it just pulled!
It is class being able to just stamp the floor and leave anything behind!
In some ways i really miss the auto gearbox over the DSG, sounds wrong but the DSG has that annoying 1 second delay and can sometimes make you launch like youve forgotten and then realised youve got to put yer foot down...
DSG is fab but a torque converter is much more responsive on take off.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top