Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The remote for my AV system has a bizarre issue where it chews a set of batteries overnight. It can act as a learning remote to control a number of devices but having tried this and a Pronto years ago, I've found these to be a bit of a faff. It's quicker just to pick up the right remote than it it to fiddle about changing to another device and back again. Simple things make the universal remote idea fiddly: like not always wanting TV audio to go through the amplifier.

I've been looking at Logitech Harmony controllers, perhaps the 600 or 650, but can't tell whether these solve the fiddly device switching issue in any decent way. Reading the manual, it seems like you still have to press a few buttons to do it. They also have "activities", or what used to be called macros, but in my experience these can be flaky if something gets out of step. Indeed the Harmony seems to have onboard help to deal with such things. Faff! Also these seem to need you to set up an account with Logitech in order to download device IR profiles. I'm not really interested in receiving more spam or setting up an account just to do something simple like setting up a remote.

So, what alternatives are there? Who's got what, and is it any good?

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
It's impossible to avoid devices getting out of sync sometimes, as the remote has no feedback on their status and IR isn't 100% reliable. If its an issue (its never really bothered me when using my harmony 1000), then you're never going to find a universal remote you like so just stick to separate ones.

If you're still considering one, the Logitech 'help' algorithms are pretty effective and the online setup is the easiest I've ever used. I've never received any spam, but if you're concerned about that sort of thing, I'm sure you've already got a special spam email address for times when you don't want to give out your standard one.. Just use that.

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
big syd has the harmony and scoob and sang its praises to the effect that i got one to run the front room appliances. all work well with just the one........once you understand the settings etc and end of night just drop it on the docking station to re-charge. no probs so far and is a nice solid handset imho

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
I have had a Harmony for over 3 years and as Gazzer has said as long as it is placed back in the docking station no problems.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've had an harmony 1000 - Excellent bit of kit!!

When i bought it was looking at £500+ rivals and the cheaper harmony out performed them easily.

The online database is very good and saves you having to learn commands its not a spam site but a great product.

My advice get one and then you can ditch all the remotes.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spandex said:
It's impossible to avoid devices getting out of sync sometimes, as the remote has no feedback on their status and IR isn't 100% reliable. If its an issue (its never really bothered me when using my harmony 1000), then you're never going to find a universal remote you like so just stick to separate ones.
Yeah I know. I know why it happens, and I know the harmony (or some of them) do try to keep track of state but I personally find stuff getting out of sync to be a pain. Macros on the Pronto were nice, when they worked, but if one step got missed out in the middle the whole lots gets buggered :D

Spandex said:
If you're still considering one, the Logitech 'help' algorithms are pretty effective and the online setup is the easiest I've ever used. I've never received any spam, but if you're concerned about that sort of thing, I'm sure you've already got a special spam email address for times when you don't want to give out your standard one.. Just use that.
That doesn't sound too bad.

For £35 I'll give it a go I think (no, I'm not spending out on a One or a 1100 just for a punt :lol: ). It's either that or try and get a replacement for the amp. The only reason I need it really it to change volume on the amp when I sling the TV through it. Mostly it takes music and video from the HTPC but the output from that is quieter so when I switch to TV I have to turn it right down. It's not worth spending hundreds to achieve that. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts