Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fitted rear number plate LED bulbs 'error free' ? If so which are best? :)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
Do you have the red or white DIS?

White DIS cars will not work with ANY KIND of LED bulb in the numberplate lights without an error, the only way round it is to add another bulb or resistor into the system.

All covered here:
http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=276672
Gizmo I have a MY12 TDi with a white DIS and factory fitted LED number plate lights, and as factory fitted units definitely don't produce any errors :?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
YoungOldUn said:
Gizmo68 said:
Do you have the red or white DIS?

White DIS cars will not work with ANY KIND of LED bulb in the numberplate lights without an error, the only way round it is to add another bulb or resistor into the system.

All covered here:
http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=276672
Gizmo I have a MY12 TDi with a white DIS and factory fitted LED number plate lights, and as factory fitted units definitely don't produce any errors :?
+1 :p

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Yes that's because they are FACTORY FITTED, the controller is different, do you really think Audi would send out a car from the factory with know errors?

Anything with the white DIS that has retro-fitted LED numberplate lights will give an error (so 2009 to 2011 / 2012 IIRC)

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Indeed, even if you retrofit the factory ones they will throw an error. On a 2009 car the OP might just get away with it though. You can alwaŷs get the warning light mapped out, but it's a remap, not a VCDS job. I did this for my reversing light LEDs a la McKenzie because they are fabulous with my reversing camera and I'll notice very quickly if one's not working.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
wja96 said:
Indeed, even if you retrofit the factory ones they will throw an error. On a 2009 car the OP might just get away with it though.
My car late 2009 registered so MY2010 and gave the error after retro fitting the genuine Audi LED number plate lamps. However in the thread linked above I gave the value of the resistor required to suppress the lamp out warning and a brief description of how I fitted them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My TTS is a June 2009 car making it a MY10 model code?

1. If so i understand there are no aftermarket error free bulbs that would work for a MY10 -onwards
2. The later Audi OEM LED MY12 bulbs don't work either for a MY10 without errors?

So the only fix is to do some wiring amends as I've read in the posts? :?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is my TTS A MY10 or MY09 being a June 2009 car, I'm confused.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
TTS_SPRINT said:
Is my TTS A MY10 or MY09 being a June 2009 car, I'm confused.
Most likely a MY09 as it would have been built several months prior to being registered

Punch in your complete VIN number here to make sure

http://igorweb.org/vindec/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It says it a 2009 which we knew that already, so does this mean it's a MY09?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, thanks for your help, I'll hopefully be ok with the led bulbs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With my TTS MY09 (June 2009) I was able to get just replacement bulbs for £7.98 with free delivery from Alltronix Ltd.

Looks really good, a small modification but makes a big difference. 8)

·
Registered
442 Posts
TTS_SPRINT said:
With my TTS MY09 (June 2009) I was able to get just replacement bulbs for £7.98 with free delivery from Alltronix Ltd.

Looks really good, a small modification but makes a big difference. 8)

Looks great what size did you go for 36mm or 38mm.

Hopefully I can do the same I have a red DIS so shouldnt have any errors right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks great what size did you go for 36mm or 38mm.

Hopefully I can do the same I have a red DIS so shouldnt have any errors right?[/quote]

I reckon yes. The ones I have are the 38mm High Power SMD Festoons and have 6 leds per bub with 3 chips per led.

See link http://www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php?ma ... cts_id=210

1 - 20 of 21 Posts