Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just got my tt and pretty happy with it however i have noticed if i ease the boost in gently it seems to boost harder than say if i just stamped on the gas sometimes mainly in higher gears, its not cos its in low revs in a high gear just doesnt seem to pull as hard sometimes any thoughts, btw no cel or anything wrong on dash

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,560 Posts
Hi Tommy, Is this your 1st turbo engine ? Thinking, may be just the different response of a turbo engine compared to N/A.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nick 225TT said:
yep you need to give the turbo a chance to spool up
If you fit a bigger TIP and better airfilter you WILL notice better spool up times :wink:
I've got a 3" badger TiP and mine is like this as well. I've changed the MAF, N75, DV, had a boost leak test and a remap and still no change. I sometimes get a noise like a belt slipping as well. I'll be intrigued to know if this is a common issue and what the remedy is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hoggy said:
Hi Tommy, Is this your 1st turbo engine ? Thinking, may be just the different response of a turbo engine compared to N/A.
Hoggy. :D
thanks hoggy good to see a fellow welshnman on here lol no i have had the same engine in my old cupra so no what to expect its mainly in the higher gears sometimes 3rd upwards seems a bit flat when sometimes it pulls like a train...im sure its sumthing fairly simple ive read a few threads which led me to beilive it maybe a slight vac leak or a dodgy maf

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I think what Tommy says is that he gets a better acceleration with part throttle than WOT. I have same and I don't know whether it should be like this or not, but I do know it's caused by ECU pulling the timing for whatever reason. Never got to the bottom of this...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
nordic said:
I think what Tommy says is that he gets a better acceleration with part throttle than WOT. I have same and I don't know whether it should be like this or not, but I do know it's caused by ECU pulling the timing for whatever reason. Never got to the bottom of this...
Have you replaced any hoses? Possible collapsing or narrowing pipes. But to be honest its a turbo car, you spool up earlier and hold when you need the power you have it there. Soon as you lift on what you have spooled up is gone.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Thanks for that, don't want to hijack Tommy's thread, just a bit more info.
My symptoms are like this. If I go WOT at 3K, when turbo is at its full, it accelerates slowly unless I ease the throttle half way, then it takes off. I just get this crazy timing correction and nothing seems to cure it - same for over a year now, nothing changed to worse or better, only wallet lightened splashing money on sensors, etc. This stopped me from getting a remap, as remapper honestly advised to fix this.

But it's my 1st turbo car as well, with N/A engine the power was always there instantly, really miss that and the simplicity :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nordic said:
yes this is exactly it, you gave a better explanation than me though :oops: lol

what have you tried to cure it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you replaced any hoses? Possible collapsing or narrowing pipes. But to be honest its a turbo car, you spool up earlier and hold when you need the power you have it there. Soon as you lift on what you have spooled up is gone.[/quote]

no the spool up is fine just seems to hold back sometimes, no i havent replaced and hoses yet

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Could be a load of things..... Turbo cars, as much fun as they are, are a real pain in the arse at times!!

Could be something as simple as fueling...... if you notice a dip in performace at WOT it could well be that the car is overfueling massively, so the fueling is spot on when on part throttle but at WOT you are bunging in too much fuel.

Too much fuel is a killer, you'd think the opposite but it is the killer.... Turbo cars run better when they are slightly leaner than normal.. it's not at all safe but they run better.

Get the fueling checked

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Well, in my case, Tommy, I think I get timing corrections through knocking (running lean). Running lean can be caused by crazy amount of things.

Why I think I have knocking, there are 2 knock sensors on 1.8t for each pair of cylinders. If to swap their sockets, it's possible to foul ECU a tad to hear less, because knocking cylinders become a little more distant for respective sensors. That's when I hear my engine pinking. Now why it's pinking I've never found out. Because I have it leak-tested, changed AFR sensors, checked fuel delivery, I can only think of one remaining thing is exhaust blowing causing oxygen sensor to underread exhaust gasses. That's hell of a job to replace these gaskets... that may not even be the cause :(

The result of knocking is reduced boost, timing advance = less power.

If you google, you may witness many people have actually never sorted their timing corrections giving up after a long fight. Some did, but never shared, but many didn't.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nordic said:
Well, in my case, Tommy, I think I get timing corrections through knocking (running lean). Running lean can be caused by crazy amount of things.

Why I think I have knocking, there are 2 knock sensors on 1.8t for each pair of cylinders. If to swap their sockets, it's possible to foul ECU a tad to hear less, because knocking cylinders become a little more distant for respective sensors. That's when I hear my engine pinking. Now why it's pinking I've never found out. Because I have it leak-tested, changed AFR sensors, checked fuel delivery, I can only think of one remaining thing is exhaust blowing causing oxygen sensor to underread exhaust gasses. That's hell of a job to replace these gaskets... that may not even be the cause :(

The result of knocking is reduced boost, timing advance = less power.

If you google, you may witness many people have actually never sorted their timing corrections giving up after a long fight. Some did, but never shared, but many didn't.
hmmm sorry to hear that i hope i dont have the same...

how many miles has your car done? have you maybe tried replacing the fuel pump? i did that on my old cupra and it made a hell of a difference

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
It's 120k now. New pump, new filter, new pressure regulator.

Anyway, I hope you sort yours, good luck with it! Btw, timing corrections are block 020 in vcds :wink:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nordic said:
It's 120k now. New pump, new filter, new pressure regulator.

Anyway, I hope you sort yours, good luck with it! Btw, timing corrections are block 020 in vcds :wink:
hmm fair enough then :(

hope you get it sorted soon mate

thanks for the tip :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.