Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I need to replace my locking wheel nuts, the previous owner/garage has completely knackered the wheel nut key and I've only just managed to get all four off successfully. Does anyone have recommendations for a brand (eg. McGard?) and what are the measurements to ensure I'm getting the correct fitment? Thanks in advance.
Simon

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
torque value is 120 Nm, for what concerning their brand, no big differences among OEM and aftermarket, at the end it's just a wheel bolt…

·
Registered
715 Posts
Unless wheel theft is common where you live, I suggest throwing any "lock lugs" in the garbage where they belong, and just using standard lugs. Over here these are largely considered a relic of the 90s, and even then the main things these do is frustrate and hamper the owner when they legitimately need to take the wheels off. More "serious" people that would steal wheels know how to get wheel "locks" off with little to no effort as well, so they are largely pointless. Things like losing/misplacing the key, key getting damaged, nut getting damaged, etc. are all just sources of headache.

They're also known to be a stealer markup/profit trick, adding these onto the bill when you buy a new car and charging like $200-300 for the "privilege" when they're worth all of like $40-50 :rolleyes: Lots of unsuspecting people fall for this, so many cars still have them but the headaches for the owner will come later lol.

Reactions: simonwooTTon
1 - 5 of 5 Posts