Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new to the site and seeking a bit of advice as looking to buy my first TT. Basically i dont have a big budget as i am house hunting at the moment and the car will be a weekend toy. What i am after is a 1.8T 225 mk1 and my budget is only around £2500. I have found quite a few within this price range on a 2000/2001 plate but with pretty high mileage (around 120K). I would just like a bit of info regarding the engines/gearboxes on these and if they are reliable with the high mileage, also i would be getting it re-mapped and wondering how the high mileage would affect this? Never owned an audi so dont have much of a clue about this, any info will be great, thanks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
First of all. Welcome to the forum. For that sort of money you might not find much. My advice when buying was to get one with great service history and looks like it has been looked after. Don't go with your heart go with your head! Any engine that has good service history should be fine with higher miles. Clutch might need changing if its on original with a remap. Good luck with the house and car!
 

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
Joined
·
96,582 Posts
Hi northdud, Welcome to the TTF.
Service history is very important. cambelt/water pump every 65k miles or 5 years which ever comes first, dash instruments (dashpod) read correctly, coolant temp reaches 90 within a couple of miles & stays there.
Get written confirmation of cambelt/water pump change or reduce price by £500 & get it replaced ASAP.
3.2 V6 no turbo or cambelt to worry about, so should be more reliable, DSG may be weak link, unless you can find a manual.& a nicer exhaust note.
Don't rush into it. A good TT is a wonderful car, a bad un can be a money pit.
Plenty of good uns out there, but probably more bad uns, so as I said don't rush into it
Hoggy. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,647 Posts
Sorry to be blunt but I wouldn't even bother looking at cars in that price range as they are likely to require work and nothing is cheap on a TT.

Sorry to be so down on your plan but that's how I see it. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replys :D To be honest i was just going to wait till i got sorted out and get a bit more cash saved once i find a house and then get a car but looking on the net one night a came accross TTs and never dreamed i would even be able to pick one up for that sort of money so since then my heart is set on picking one up and having something else to drive apart from the flat VW caddy i spend my working days in. Yer its not a lot of money to spend on one but there are still bargains to be had especially in this recession, its more about finding a seller who is pretty desperate to get it sold and get the price down to my price range. Thanks for the pointers :D I have something to go on now, will keep you guys posted and no doubt will be askin the best way to tune it next lol, Thanks again!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
I spent that on a car, and half that putting it right. There are cheap TT however these are more likely the ones that need the expensive wear and tear parts replaced at the age this car now is. I had to replace all bushes on car, new cat, drop links, anti roll bars 4x allingment, tyres, few Niggle bits, new rear shocks. I knew I was going to have to spend this, so remember to factor these in when buying a cheap car at an old age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yer i undrstand that, the ones i have been looking at do have full service history (whether that is all good i dont know), i think at the minute i just want to get my hands on one and realize that it might need a bit of work doing to it, i quite enjoy a project as long as theres nothing major going on which is going to kill my wallet, i am willing to put a bit of cash into it week by week as i make it i just dont have enough spare to get a low mileage one as they are going between £3200 and £4000. Like i say i use a van every day so its only going to be used like once or twice a week so cant really justify pulling the stops out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,260 Posts
jamman said:
Sorry to be blunt but I wouldn't even bother looking at cars in that price range as they are likely to require work and nothing is cheap on a TT.

Sorry to be so down on your plan but that's how I see it. :(
+1

Get your house sorted then spend a bit more on a TT later on, you'll be glad you did :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,754 Posts
If the gap between your £2500 budget and £3200 lower mileage ones seems in reachable I'd wait and sort the house first.

Maintenance on a high mileage TT could eat that up easily. These were £30k plus new so even through an independent garage things can add up quite quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,475 Posts
Even at 4k you will need to do work unless you are willing to drive it with it feeling like a dog , Most older ones need new suspension and brakes now, Full service history doesnt all mean everything has been done and most owners of these cars in the early years seem to have neglected them. My mates missus is looking for one at the moment and is looking at spending 6k and all the ones ive looked at for her have been dogs and need alsorts doing including cambelt,Tyres, paintwork, iteriour rough, brakes, engine lights on and so on, I Payed £5800 for mine 2 years ago, 51 plate and have spent a fair bit to get it right and it came with full dealer history and low miles, But its still a much better than the dogs ive seen on a 53 plate, Good luck finding a nice one though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,336 Posts
corradoman said:
Even at 4k you will need to do work unless you are willing to drive it with it feeling like a dog , Most older ones need new suspension and brakes now, Full service history doesnt all mean everything has been done and most owners of these cars in the early years seem to have neglected them. My mates missus is looking for one at the moment and is looking at spending 6k and all the ones ive looked at for her have been dogs and need alsorts doing including cambelt,Tyres, paintwork, iteriour rough, brakes, engine lights on and so on, I Payed £5800 for mine 2 years ago, 51 plate and have spent a fair bit to get it right and it came with full dealer history and low miles, But its still a much better than the dogs ive seen on a 53 plate, Good luck finding a nice one though...
If your mate's missus is looking to spend up to £6k, she can buy mine for £5k, needs NOTHING doing to it at all and it's as good as mint ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
Hoggy said:
Hi northdud, Welcome to the TTF.
Service history is very important. cambelt/water pump every 65k miles or 5 years which ever comes first, dash instruments (dashpod) read correctly, coolant temp reaches 90 within a couple of miles & stays there.
Get written confirmation of cambelt/water pump change or reduce price by £500 & get it replaced ASAP.
3.2 V6 no turbo or cambelt to worry about, so should be more reliable, DSG may be weak link, unless you can find a manual.& a nicer exhaust note.
Don't rush into it. A good TT is a wonderful car, a bad un can be a money pit.
Plenty of good uns out there, but probably more bad uns, so as I said don't rush into it
Hoggy. :D
V6? For £2500?

:roll: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,709 Posts
Got mine with 70 on the clock... managed to get it up to 130'000 still on origional turbo and engine, as long as it's serviced... anything over 100'00k first job for me would be to drop the sub and change the oil pickup pipe.. (they tend to block) obviously forget cambelt history.. just get it changed.. make sure that gets done at the same time as the pick up pipe.. don't care if the seller says it was done last week.. CHANGE IT FOR YOUR OWN SANITY !!! if all that gets done and there isn't a underlining issue, then you should have happy motoring !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,475 Posts
Garth said:
corradoman said:
Even at 4k you will need to do work unless you are willing to drive it with it feeling like a dog , Most older ones need new suspension and brakes now, Full service history doesnt all mean everything has been done and most owners of these cars in the early years seem to have neglected them. My mates missus is looking for one at the moment and is looking at spending 6k and all the ones ive looked at for her have been dogs and need alsorts doing including cambelt,Tyres, paintwork, iteriour rough, brakes, engine lights on and so on, I Payed £5800 for mine 2 years ago, 51 plate and have spent a fair bit to get it right and it came with full dealer history and low miles, But its still a much better than the dogs ive seen on a 53 plate, Good luck finding a nice one though...
If your mate's missus is looking to spend up to £6k, she can buy mine for £5k, needs NOTHING doing to it at all and it's as good as mint ;-)
Trust me Garth you would not want her to buy your car mate :lol: as much work as you have done to it she wouldnt be happy, she thinks 6k buys a mk2 TT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,336 Posts
corradoman said:
Garth said:
corradoman said:
Even at 4k you will need to do work unless you are willing to drive it with it feeling like a dog , Most older ones need new suspension and brakes now, Full service history doesnt all mean everything has been done and most owners of these cars in the early years seem to have neglected them. My mates missus is looking for one at the moment and is looking at spending 6k and all the ones ive looked at for her have been dogs and need alsorts doing including cambelt,Tyres, paintwork, iteriour rough, brakes, engine lights on and so on, I Payed £5800 for mine 2 years ago, 51 plate and have spent a fair bit to get it right and it came with full dealer history and low miles, But its still a much better than the dogs ive seen on a 53 plate, Good luck finding a nice one though...
If your mate's missus is looking to spend up to £6k, she can buy mine for £5k, needs NOTHING doing to it at all and it's as good as mint ;-)
Trust me Garth you would not want her to buy your car mate :lol: as much work as you have done to it she wouldnt be happy, she thinks 6k buys a mk2 TT
Ah, I know the type :grin:
That's ok though because I'm not selling mine until I'm happy it's finished and looking like new ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replys :p Much appreciated! I have found a 225 which i am in two minds about buying, it has done 118k, full service history by audi, 2000 plate and is pretty much immaculate condition has also had cambelt replaced at 115k, the only problem i can see is the ABS light flickers on and off (dont know if this is a common problem), realize i should go with my head and not my heart and maybe hold on for one with lower miles but i really am in two minds! :? Anyhow i will keep you posted, thanks again!!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top