Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new here and was just wondering if some of you guys could help me out, basically I'm looking to purchase as 2002 225 Audi TT, ive seen one with about 100k on the clock, I was just wondering if there was anything I should look out when buying a TT, I have seen one in silver bt the cam belt hasn't been done but has full service history, the owner also mentioned a slight knocking noise coming from the suspension/bushes, 1) are these big jobs to do? 2) are the expensive jobs to do.
Please help as I don't want to buy a lemon!

Ps. Great forum

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
How 'full' is the service history if it's on a 100k and no camblet change. I'd bet it's not as full as it could be.

Think cambelt is about £400 but sure someone on here will have up to date prices.

Suspension bushes isn't a huge job, but I guess it depends what it is?

It's good the vendor is being honest and up front, but unless it's CHEAP why buy a car with known issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hark said:
How 'full' is the service history if it's on a 100k and no camblet change. I'd bet it's not as full as it could be.

Think cambelt is about £400 but sure someone on here will have up to date prices.

Suspension bushes isn't a huge job, but I guess it depends what it is?

It's good the vendor is being honest and up front, but unless it's CHEAP why buy a car with known issues.
Well the mileage is 98k I just rounded it up and that is a very good point u made about the service not being very full.
The car is relatively cheap and I was considering a car without the belt done that way if I do it I have peace of mind, if the cam belt is around the £400 mark that mean the price would be in line with other 2002 TT I have seen for sale although they have slightly higher mileage at about 115-120k

·
Registered
278 Posts
Your going to have to replace most bushes as they will be well work at 100k. Cambelt from tts is 300. As long as the service history is there to back up the car then fingers crossed. The best advice I was given was to possibly hold out for a good one with lower miliage.

But, good luck!

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,337 Posts
Hi tiggstar, Welcome to the TTF..
Service history is very important. cambelt/water pump every 65k miles or 5 years which ever comes first, dash instruments (dashpod) read correctly, coolant temp reaches 90 within a couple of miles & stays there.
Get written confirmation of cambelt/water pump change or reduce price by £500 & get it replaced ASAP.
3.2 V6 no turbo or cambelt to worry about, so should be more reliable, DSG may be weak link, unless you can find a manual.& a nicer exhaust note.
Don't rush into it. A good TT is a wonderful car, a bad un can be a money pit.
Plenty of good uns out there, but probably more bad uns, so as I said don't rush into it.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Hark said:
For a 2002 car the service schedule doesn't require the cambelt change until some time after 100k miles. You have to remember that the recommendation to get it done at 65k miles is one developed through experience and use and is still not Audi's official stance. So just because the cambelt hasn't been done does not mean the rest of the servicing is somewhat lacking.

To get the cambelt changed and replace the suspension bushes (presuming that's the cause of the knocking - it could possibly be ARB droplinks too) is likely to be anything from £500 to £750, depending on what sort of labour rates you'll be paying. Just factor it into the price you pay. One advantage of doing this yourself is having the confidence of knowing it has been done. The other alternative is to look for a car that comes with the bills showing that this work has been done already - always worth paying a little bit more for a car that has demonstrably been well looked after.

And as I always say, don't get hung up on the mileage. It's just a number on a dashboard and in isolation means very little. A 100k car that's just had months of work lavished on it with no expense spared (se Garth's restoration project) is going to be a far better buy than a 70k car that's had nothing done since it was bought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark Davies said:
Hark said:
For a 2002 car the service schedule doesn't require the cambelt change until some time after 100k miles. You have to remember that the recommendation to get it done at 65k miles is one developed through experience and use and is still not Audi's official stance. So just because the cambelt hasn't been done does not mean the rest of the servicing is somewhat lacking.

To get the cambelt changed and replace the suspension bushes (presuming that's the cause of the knocking - it could possibly be ARB droplinks too) is likely to be anything from £500 to £750, depending on what sort of labour rates you'll be paying. Just factor it into the price you pay. One advantage of doing this yourself is having the confidence of knowing it has been done. The other alternative is to look for a car that comes with the bills showing that this work has been done already - always worth paying a little bit more for a car that has demonstrably been well looked after.

And as I always say, don't get hung up on the mileage. It's just a number on a dashboard and in isolation means very little. A 100k car that's just had months of work lavished on it with no expense spared (se Garth's restoration project) is going to be a far better buy than a 70k car that's had nothing done since it was bought.
I think I'd prefer to carry out the repairs myself simply for the fact of having piece of mind, the car I looked at has full Audi history n other paperwork to go with it but it was just the cam belt service that was worrying me a bit

Thank for the wise words mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts