Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own a V6 Mk1 TT and looking to upgrade to a newer model Mk2. Have come across a couple of modified versions (pics below) with stage 2 tune including full exhaust, intake and IC. I don't have all the details but wondering if there is anything to look at with this model especially if its above 135km on odo.

Looks like both are quite tidy and have FSH incl engine, DSG, Haldex & diffs. I do all my own maintenance so familiar with general repairs, etc.

Anything to look out for apart from normal used car things?
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Hood Grille Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yeah even though I like modding cars, I don't like buying modded cars. Over here, mods on cars typically tank the resale value, and for good reason. Personally I find "nonsense mods" like intakes and catch cans unappealing on top of that, which would turn me away even more.

That said I see you've got two different 2.0T examples pictured. The upper one is an EA888 and the lower one is an EA113. Also that particular EA888 looks like a CESA (or similar) variant, meaning it's a "Gen 2" and has the VL system. It has about 50lb*ft more output than the other (non-S) 2.0Ts.

Both the EA888 and the EA113 have their own sets of quirks and issues, some of which are more major than others. I'd say the EA888 has more major issues than the earlier EA113 but it's also more mod friendly as adding moderate power doesn't involve the added expense of upgrading injectors and fueling.

Anyway there's a whole buyers guide on here you should check out:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the valuable info. Didn't even realise they were two different engines. I need to read though the buyers guide posted and do some homework.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,474 Posts
benckj said:
Thanks for the valuable info. Didn't even realise they were two different engines.
:p Depending on the year and location, MK2's could have a 1.8l, 2.0l TSFI, 2.0l TFSI-HO (TTS), 2.0l FSI, 2.0l TDI (diesel), 3.2 V6 (naturally aspirated) or a 2.5l (TTRS) motor.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The models I’ve been looking at have the 2.0 TFSI as I’d like to go with forced induction. Been running the V6 and while its a great engine the thought of replacing the timing chain and duel mass flywheel has put me off.
I did read through the helpful links above which opened my eyes to to oil burning issue. Might just look at something newer than 2012 and avoid this potential problem. Not in a great rush to upgrade so have a bit of time to look & learn.
Once again, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not many options with anything newer than 2012 unless I jump into the Mk3 range. Quattro is a must have so all the 1.8l models are eliminated from the search. Jumping to a Mk3 is a bit rich for my blood just now but defintely on the radar.

Out of interest, how bad is this oil burning issue? Limited chance for any dealer warranty repairs as most imports don't come with FSH. There seem to be plenty of cars around with 135km or more on clock.

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,474 Posts
FWIW, the high-output EA113 used in the TTS (all years) did not suffer from excessive oil consumption or chain tensioner failures (belt driven). Quattro come with the package.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, I sorted lumped that together with the EA888. Is there an easy way to tell the two engines apart? Generally I'm only looking at a blurry engine pic from a web photo.

For example, which one is this?
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Light

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,474 Posts
The EA113 is an older engine predating the EA888, however Audi modified the older engine specifically used in the TTS to handle more power. This engine is not available on other TT models.

Some of the upgrades:
Reinforced cylinder block & mains bearing cap
Upgraded piston rings, wrist pins and connecting rods
Improved high flow cylinder head
Larger K04 turbo
Larger intercooler
Diverter valve relocated for access

Additionally, a TTS comes standard with Quattro, larger 340mm front brakes, Magride, quad exhaust tips, lowered suspension and generally most all available options (TTS positioned as Audi's top-end luxury-sport model, where as the TTRS was positioned as Audi's full-on performance model).

You will likely pay a premium for a TTS over a TT but should still be considerably cheaper than stepping up to a MK3

The TTS 2.0l TFSI looks like this:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, starting to understand. Haven't seen anything like the example shown. Gets a little confusing as I'm guessing the TTS is not the TT S-line or high spec TTRS?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,474 Posts
No, a TT S-line is a TT with the S-line option package. A TTS is a TTS and will be advertised as such.

A TTRS is the only model with a 2.5l 5 cylinder engine (giving it a leg-up on displacement). The TTRS is Audi's top-end model but often comes with less options than the TTS (since it target audience is more concerned with power / reduced weight).

Additional note: Both the TTS and the TTRS share more aggressively styled sideskirts (compared to the TT) and each has it's own distinctive grill.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coming from a Mk1 TT I have a decent understanding about the model designation but when sellers list the cars they often don't. The TTS and RS versions are quite rare here and are out of my price range at 2+ the price.
How can I distinguish between the EA888 and EA113 engines from a picture?

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,474 Posts
benckj said:
How can I distinguish between the EA888 and EA113 engines from a picture?
First off, when it comes to 2.0l motors, if the car was built before 2009 it is a EA113.

Using a pics posted earlier, I've highlighted some differences that are obvious with the engine cover off.
  1. On the EA888 the dipstick (circle in orange) is on side of the motor. On the EA113 it is in the front.
  2. The EA888 had the oil filter located up top (circled in red) The EA113 has the filter located underneath the vehicle (not shown).
  3. The EA888 PCV (circled in white) is a more complex design (known as an “African” plate due to it's shape) and is mounted on top of the valve cover. On the EA113 the PCV is mounted on the side and there is a flex hose that runs from the valve to the intake manifold.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

Additionally, the engine cover shown in post #10 is a EA888

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perfect, thank you. Oil dipstick or filter is the easiest to spot.

Cheers,

Reactions: TT'sRevenge

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,995 Posts
Not to be over looked, the 3.2 VR6 is a pretty reliable engine and is rarely modified. In the Mk2 the VR6 was available from 2006 until 2010 so a newer one would be the way to go.

As you already know from your Mk1, it's a bit more thirsty and will have a higher road tax, but it avoids all the drama associated with turbo plumbing which is why I specifically looked for one when shopping around for my Roadster. Obviously it's not exactly a cost effective daily commuter (given what fuel prices are these days) but IMHO it's worth a test drive if you can find one.

Regardless of which engine you go with, be sure to get all the features and options you want; bi-Xenon headlights (...a must have feature over halogens!) electric folding mirrors, heated seats, RNS-E Satnav, etc,. Pretty much every option can be retrofitted, but it will be a major PITA and will be a lot more expensive after the fact.

We have a few brochures and tech data (linked below). They may not all be UK models but they'll give you a good idea of what was available in various years. A Google search for a Mk2 UK brochure might come in handy for the specific year and model you're interested in.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't completely ruled out the V6. Its the reason I bought my Mk1 which was a prime example with only 53k on the clock. I managed to learn alot about the engine, drive train and TT in general. Fuel prices don't really worry me as I don't do many miles and the car is basically my wifes run around vehicle plus used for trips away. Not too fussed on the Mk1 looks or interior design which is why I'd like to migrate into a Mk2 or 3 now that prices have dropped

As far as features go;
Essential
Quattro
Heated leather seats
Must be tidy with some service history.

Would like;
S Line model
Stock or nice 18" wheels
HU with touch screen and steering wheel controls.
TPMS
Metalic paint with preference to Grey, blue, red, orange or maybe black
Below 120k (kms) on clock.

Reactions: SwissJetPilot

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,474 Posts
Following up on SJP's advice concerning options, Audi offered a few option packages over the years but for the most part options needed to be added to the build list. You can't assume the car has an option unless you verify its existence.

Additionally, Audi does not install 'universal' wiring harnesses, one that allows you to plug in options after the fact. If the option wasn't installed when new there won't be wiring pulled for that option. Adding options after the fact can be expensive and time consuming.

A couple of other quick notes:
  1. MK2 TT's came with 17, 18, 19 and even a few 20” wheels (depending on the year and option pack).
  2. All factory wheels start with p/n 8J0601025 with the suffix indicating the size & design.
  3. No factory HU has a touch screen
  4. Audi offered both direct or indirect TPMS (Country dependent). Not sure about Australia but TPMS has been mandatory here in the US since 2007 (covering all MK2's)
  5. Orange was a very rare color option, likely impossible to find. Gray & blue are easier to find than red (but still possible). Black is the most common out of your preferred choices but be advised that black shows rock chips due to a light undercoating / primer (in addition to black just being a hard color to maintain).

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting info. As you stated the options will need to be verified during inspection. I try and pick up any clues from provided pics as often sellers don't really know what they have. TPMS has been very rare to find but I run an aftermarket unit on my TT now as it doesn't have a spare and by the time you detect an issue with a low profile tyre its generally too late to save sidewall. Driving mountain roads with limited service requires you really need to look after yourself or be prepared to sleep in car. Prefer 18" as this allows some cushioning of tyre and a little more time to react to a pressure leak.
On the HU almost all cars I've seen have a touch screen. Maybe because we deal with many Jap imports the HU's are upgraded when arriving in country?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts