Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so I'm brand new to the forum and have come in search of guidance. recently all the multi-function controls on my steering wheel have stopped functioning as well as the shifter paddles for the DSG transmission. I will say that i had had some issues with some of the controls being a little in and out but now all the controls are completely gone. i checked the main fuse box on driver side and all the fuses are good. the horn does function. the airbag light also came on once a while back but turned off rather soon after. anyone have any ideas I'm kind of stuck ?

also total side note if anyone has a link for a good downloadable shop manual (free or Paid) i could really use it. sadly my computer doesn't have a disc driver for the one you buy from like ECS tuning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your then why does the horn work and the airbag 98% of the time? Also if you have a good write up from a shop manual on this it would be very much appreciated because I may try this.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The suspect is part No 4 in this diagram

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+tt+tt ... 05-905080/

The workshop manuals are all in the KB but not that easy to find (I've suggested the moderators make a sticky link to them). Try searching the archives for '005TT01320 - Electrical System.pdf'.

Just to clear up a bit of teminology, this unit has been given various names and unfortunately a lot of them are misleading. It actually contains two separate rotating connectors, one for the airbag igniter and one for the data connection to the various switches.

The airbag connection is a slip ring i.e. it is two circular metal tracks attached to the wheel with two spring-loaded contacting pins on the fixed part of the column. As the wheel rotates these pins maintain electricl contact with the circular tracks.

The other conector is often called a 'clock spring', this is a bit of a misnomer because it isn't wound like a clock spring at all - a spiral wind would jamb. It is a flexible circuit ribbon that is wound one way on the fixed half and the other way on the moving half. It folds back on itself where the two winds meet. It probably helps to see it but you should be able to see that this way only a very small section of the ribbon moves as you turn the wheel and there is no risk of jambing.

The downside is that 'fold' is quite tight and can lead to failure of the ribbon cable. The picture below is from a VW Polo Mk7. There's more information in the thread linked below -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-y ... grade.html

FYI - The word 'squib' is an old word for a firework and usually refers to the airbag igniter.
Automotive tire Toy Automotive lighting Finger Rim

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,580 Posts
Here's a link to the workshop manuals which are kept in the Mk2 TT Knowledge Base.

As requested, I've created a link in the Mk2 TT Stickies section as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am from Salt Lake City, UT in the US. I have a 2008 Audi TT Quattro in black. No mods done to it just bone stock. And I also have an almost 300hp turbo fully built mx5 Miata.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am from Salt Lake City, UT in the US. I have a 2008 Audi TT Quattro in black. No mods done to it just bone stock. And I also have an almost 300hp turbo fully built mx5 Miata.
I’m from slc as well and am having the same problem. Did you ever figure it out and if so will you please message me on Facebook @Kvaughn Kvaughn. I’m trying to sell it and the buyer really only wants it for the things that aren’t working. This would be very very helpful if you can help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there. The workshop manuals in the KB are good, but if you want the latest version of everything (including the data printout from Audi as to the exact details of your car from factory including option codes, engine codes, literally everything), check out Erwin - it's the official workshop repair and information service from Audi. You can pay about 7 Euros for an hour's access, and you can download all the manuals you want for your Audi model and even the dealer repair manual system.

Well worth the money.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,363 Posts
I’m from slc as well and am having the same problem. Did you ever figure it out and if so will you please message me on Facebook @Kvaughn Kvaughn. I’m trying to sell it and the buyer really only wants it for the things that aren’t working. This would be very very helpful if you can help
What have you checked so far?

Why join a forum just to ask for replies on facebook? That isn't really how forums work :rolleyes:

Reactions: BauhausBrick

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,580 Posts
Bad Clock Spring Symptoms -

1. Airbag Warning Light
2. Steering wheel buttons don’t work
3. Horn or other functions intermittent function
4. Steering wheel or traction control warning light
5. Airbags Won’t Deploy

It would be a good idea to run an OBDII fault scan to see if there's a fault related to this issue. You might have something like this from the Ross Tech Wiki -
01426 - Controls in Steering Wheel (E221).

This post is worth a read as it has some additional information and a link to a couple of helpful YouTube videos on this topic -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts