Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a think and looking at getting this done. Anyone had it done on here with stage 1 mods or more? How is the car and is there much of a difference in power/drivability on gas opposed to normal fuel? And does the servicing schedule need adjusted?

And what rough cost would it be to get done? Saw a place on google charges £870 or so but seems cheap. Just looking to the future with petrol prices rising constantly. No brainer really as lpg is 102ron iirc compared to 99ron v-power but around half the cost.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Was thinking about this today my self actually. Mate of mine had a VXR on LPG and had no noticeable drop in performance on LPG than when he switched to fuel. if anything it was slightly better, would be interesting to see what the tt takes to the Lpg and costs.

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
redsilverblue had this on her old TT that got mashed in a head on, she had it on the RR day in tewkesbury and it did well as a standard 225 car in all fairness. modded i havn't a clue, probably best to ask Wak on that score.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
You should budget more like £1400 for a decent drive in drive out solution, most of teh cost is fitting. My mate did a 4 cylinder conversion with top of teh range parts for £400, alot of time went into doing it right tho! (So thats where your £1k goes)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I ran an lpg'd Monaro VXR for a couple of years. The car always ran fine and power-wise I couldn't tell the difference - but the post cat O2 sensors could. I got endless EML lights accompanied by irritating warning bongs everywhere I drove. Eventually I had the O2 sensors disabled and all was well after that. I know the car is still going strong, having now done about 30k miles with lpg and the O2 sensors switched off.
I'm not sure I'd do it to a TT esp a 225. They're really not that bad on fuel (compared to a 6 litre V8), so it'll take you longer to recoupe the cost of conversion. Also lpg and blown cars - it's an added level of complexity. A V6 maybe, but I don't think I'll do mine, it's really not that bad on juice.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Less than 5k a year and there's no point in having a TT! I know they are good looking cars but get out and drive the thing FFS! :lol:

Maybe I should consider LPG then as I do around 18k a year in mine :eek:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Don't even bother. You will hardly recoup your money unless you do big mileages. You have the hassle of finding places that stock it and the cylinder takes up an enormous of room, in an already minute boot. Additionally when you want to sell the car the buyer may not want it and it becomes a less attractive proposition. Driven sensibly the TT is quite an economical car. If you want to step up buy a diesel.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had an ST205 WRC GT-Four on LPG and it was great.

Unless you are doing 20-30,000 miles a year I wouldn't really bother.

If you do do it get a proper conversion. My BRC system with electronic valve lubrication came in at £1800 with a 2 year warranty.

If you don't drive like a loon then a remap may free up a few extra MPG. They normally do.

John

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kazinak said:
Make sure it's worth it , if you do less than 5k a year it will be waist of money and boot space .

Send from my Android using Tapatalk 2
My TT is my daily so does more like 15000miles a year. Looked at the cost figures on a website for savings and doing 15000miles I'd look at saving nearly £1800 so it would pay for itself within a year :wink:

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
poor1 said:
If you want to step up buy a diesel.
Oh please :)

Torque said:
kazinak said:
Make sure it's worth it , if you do less than 5k a year it will be waist of money and boot space .

My TT is my daily so does more like 15000miles a year. Looked at the cost figures on a website for savings and doing 15000miles I'd look at saving nearly £1800 so it would pay for itself within a year :wink:
PM pensive666, he has a 'real life' calculator if you're interested in a payback mileage.

Mine either paid for itself by the time I crashed my previous TT or I was really really close to that point. Bought the car with 65k on the odo in May 2011, on the day of the accident (Feb 2012) it had just over 81k. I obviously drove lots back then, it made sense to use LPG. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
redsilverblue said:
poor1 said:
If you want to step up buy a diesel.
Oh please :)

Torque said:
kazinak said:

PM pensive666, he has a 'real life' calculator if you're interested in a payback mileage.

Mine either paid for itself by the time I crashed my previous TT or I was really really close to that point. Bought the car with 65k on the odo in May 2011, on the day of the accident (Feb 2012) it had just over 81k. I obviously drove lots back then, it made sense to use LPG. :)
Much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Torque said:
Much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
I paid £995, pretty cheap that was (not a single point conversion!). If you're interested in converting your car it probably is worth giving your insurer a ring to ask if they would increase the price of your insurance. Mine did, even today I'm not sure why that happened, never had a clear answer to that. Also bear in mind that you would need to service the car every 10-12k, I think I paid 40 odd quid for that :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts