Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making the final move to the dark side & selling both my Windows machines (HP Laptop i use for work & HP Touchsmart for home use).

Question is, are their any deals about at the moment as the Apple Store want £2500 & the best price i can see on eBay is around £2100 but i'm fearful of such a high value purchase on eBay & don't want to end up with a non UK machine.

Ideally as i'll put it through my business to claim the VAT back, i'd prefer to buy from a retailer who can provide a genuine VAT receipt/invoice.

Also, is the transition across to Mac O/S a diificult one for someone that's been using Windows since the year dot? Already got MS Office 2011 Mac ready to install & a couple of other pieces of Software that i needed to get Mac versions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
The g/f has just bought a Macbook Pro together with a course of tuition at the Apple Store. Wasn't much and provides a number of sessions plus they'll help you whip all your data across.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Check out the refurb section of the Apple store. They're often better than eBay prices, despite being nearly new condition. When I've bought stuff from there, it's always looked brand new, apart from being in plain packaging.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Don't get rid of all of your Windows software as you can still use it in a 'Windows Shell' (Boot Camp on a Mac) type of environment on a Mac by using 'VMWare Fusion' or similar.

I also forked out for the Mac version of Office before finding out about VMWare.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Call or email your nearest apple store and tell them you are a business customer, they have business teams and ask about discount, dependant on product and it's release cycle you should get a discount not massive but you will also get priority service.

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
YoungOldUn said:
Don't get rid of all of your Windows software as you can still use it in a 'Windows Shell' (Boot Camp on a Mac) type of environment on a Mac by using 'VMWare Fusion' or similar.

I also forked out for the Mac version of Office before finding out about VMWare.
Parallels is better. :wink:

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
W7 PMC said:
Also, is the transition across to Mac O/S a diificult one for someone that's been using Windows since the year dot? Already got MS Office 2011 Mac ready to install & a couple of other pieces of Software that i needed to get Mac versions.

Thanks in advance.
I should imagine this is largely down to what you did on your PC and what you intend to do on the Mac. Would you care to enlarge?

Regarding software for the Mac - again that depends on the answers above. Happy to help if I can!

As far as buying is concerned then as Spandy mentioned, the Refurb Store is a good source for for discounted machines. If you'd consider a good used machine and have a spec. and budget in mind, I might be able to help.

http://www.adamandeveit.co.uk

Cheers,

Rich :p

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have a search for refurbished Macbooks on Apple UK site. You'de be surprised...Good discounts and machines fully rebuild. They are not new and can not be sold as such, but hey are very much the same. You get full warranty as well with the option to extend...

May be worthwhile...

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the answers/advice.

Apple Refurb Store doesn't stock the new Retina Macbook Pro's yet & that's what i'm after. Spec will be Retina display, 512SSD, 16GB ram & the 2.6 mhz proc. This retails on the Apple Store at just shy of £2500, so was hoping other sources may exist, but with more searching it appears not.

Will be putting it through my business so could really do with it being from a legit retailer as i'd reclaim the VAT.

As for what it will be used for, it will be replacing 2 Windows machines (one for work & one for home use) & the idea is i'll get a Thunderbolt display as a follow up purchase to provide enhanced desktop functionality. Usage will be normal stuff, light photo editing, web browsing, the odd Powerpoint presentation, work & home email & maybe the odd movie view. Got an iPad 3 & iPhone 4 so will be fully Appled :D

I've not got a non OEM Windows 7 license as both are locked to the HP machines they came with & thus will be sold with. May be quite nice to get a Win7 license so at least some of the software i'm used to such as PowerDVD & Roxio Media Creator could still be used. How would sourcing a suitable license & installing on a Macbook be done?

I'm sure the Macbook & O/S is pretty intuative & i know my way around iTunes & Office, so i'm not expecting any shocks.

Spec i'm after is probably a tad OTT for requirements, but i intend to keep this machine for a good 2-4yrs so want it as future proof as possible & although it won't be performing heavy duties, it will be used daily.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
W7 PMC said:
Apple Refurb Store doesn't stock the new Retina Macbook Pro's yet & that's what i'm after. Spec will be Retina display, 512SSD, 16GB ram & the 2.6 mhz proc. This retails on the Apple Store at just shy of £2500, so was hoping other sources may exist, but with more searching it appears not.
Apple have gone to great lengths to make being an independent vendor unviable. Welcome to the land of free competition.

No laptop is ever worth £2500. Apple don't even do decent discounts on old models so you don't stand a chance unless you can convince them that you're a business or educational establishment looking to buy a decent volume.

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
W7 PMC said:
As for what it will be used for, it will be replacing 2 Windows machines (one for work & one for home use) & the idea is i'll get a Thunderbolt display as a follow up purchase to provide enhanced desktop functionality. Usage will be normal stuff, light photo editing, web browsing, the odd Powerpoint presentation, work & home email & maybe the odd movie view. Got an iPad 3 & iPhone 4 so will be fully Appled :D
The Apple OS plus iWork and iLife will do all you ask. Pages (part of iWork) opens, edits and saves Office documents in Word format. Keynote (also part of iWork) makes presentations far slicker than Powerpoint.

Regarding Windows licences am I right in thinking that you can elect to remove a licenced copy from a machine and move it to another? If you can do that then you can install from the original disk using Parallels. This will give you full Windows functionality on the Mac at the same time as the Mac OS. You flick from one OS to the other just like you would one program to another.

There is another way to install Windows but I'm not at liberty to tell you on an open forum... :wink:

Regarding a Retina laptop. If you go to the US buy one there. Warranty is effective worldwide. You'll have a slightly different keyboard but that's the only difference.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm looking at upgrading from my iMac to a mac pro (tower unit) and although the apple monitors will be good, for £899 I'm looking at alternatives, one being 2 x 27" iiyama monitors that can be bought for almost have the price! Not sure what the quality is like in comparison but might do me as an alternative and thought I'd mention it

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
rustyintegrale said:
Regarding a Retina laptop. If you go to the US buy one there. Warranty is effective worldwide. You'll have a slightly different keyboard but that's the only difference.
20% plus savings to be made but of course, everyone will declare their purchases at Customs for extra duty and VAT when they get back to the UK :wink:

I specced up my preferred model below - even at £1 to $1.5, thats just under 20% saving....I may ask my brother to bring one back from the States the next time he travels to the UK - I could sell my existing US spec i7 Macbook Air and recoup more than 1/2 the purchase cost

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
W7 PMC said:
Cheers for the answers/advice.

Will be putting it through my business so could really do with it being from a legit retailer as i'd reclaim the VAT.

I've not got a non OEM Windows 7 license as both are locked to the HP machines they came with & thus will be sold with. May be quite nice to get a Win7 license so at least some of the software i'm used to such as PowerDVD & Roxio Media Creator could still be used. How would sourcing a suitable license & installing on a Macbook be done?

I'm sure the Macbook & O/S is pretty intuative & i know my way around iTunes & Office, so i'm not expecting any shocks.

Spec i'm after is probably a tad OTT for requirements, but i intend to keep this machine for a good 2-4yrs so want it as future proof as possible & although it won't be performing heavy duties, it will be used daily.
Can you get access to the Apple Education Store? If so the spec you want comes out at £2089.20 Inc Vat delivered

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As usual, impatience got the better of me & having one of my Windows machines already sold, i purchased my new Macbook Pro yesterday & have been setting it up last/night & today.

Couldn't find any discounts (thanks for the suggestions) & wasn't able to use the Apple Education. Unit was a little less than i'd planned as in-store you can only get 8GB RAM so that saved me £200 & used a bit of that for the USB SuperDrive & a case.

So far so good on the set-up, although i feel it will take a little time to get used to the new environment having been Windows since year dot. Bit pi$$ed off that iCloud doesn't support MS Office Mac (although oddly enough it does support Office for Windows), also i can get Samnsug Kies to work on Mac, even though Samsung offer a Mac version. Need this to Sync my Galaxy SIII but it's hardly a huge issue.

Not really noticed the Retina display yet & can't think of anything to put on the screen yet to take full advantage, as i'm sure Videos won't use the Retina resolution, although i guess photos will. Hey ho, i'll suss all this out soon enough.

Look & feel of the machine is another level though & i expected that from Apple, being used to the iPad 3 & iPhone 4.

Defo need to investigate having a copy of Windows 7 on this machine, as i feel i'll benefit from having that 2nd environment for such times as Mac O/S not being supported, as in the 2 cases above.

Also need to look at my external hard drive environments for backup & usage, as even with the 512GB SSD i'm up to 70% full with most of that being my iTunes folder as that's 240GB :eek:

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Interestingly enough, I've been offered a couple of ways through my employer today to get a Macbook Pro Retina, as our flexible benefits annual renewal was launched today.

1st is a 3 year deal with tax and NI savings through https://lets-connect.com/index.php on the base spec Retina with 8Gb RAM, and the spec can't be changed at all, so no RAM upgrade is available this way - this fixed spec works out to be a little restrictive, and for a machine that would normally retail at £1799, ends up costing me around £2100 over the 3 years - not a great deal in my opinion

2nd way is through Employee Purchase Pricing on the Apple Store - some employers have been able to negotiate preferential pricing with Apple, and using our discount code, the £1799 price for the base spec drops to £1654.80, a discount of 8%

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
phope said:
Interestingly enough, I've been offered a couple of ways through my employer today to get a Macbook Pro Retina, as our flexible benefits annual renewal was launched today.

1st is a 3 year deal with tax and NI savings through https://lets-connect.com/index.php on the base spec Retina with 8Gb RAM, and the spec can't be changed at all, so no RAM upgrade is available this way - this fixed spec works out to be a little restrictive, and for a machine that would normally retail at £1799, ends up costing me around £2100 over the 3 years - not a great deal in my opinion

2nd way is through Employee Purchase Pricing on the Apple Store - some employers have been able to negotiate preferential pricing with Apple, and using our discount code, the £1799 price for the base spec drops to £1654.80, a discount of 8%

That's very good. Working for a very small company, we have no such benefits :(

I went for the next spec up which is £2299 inc vat. Glad i did as the smaller SSD would have annoyed me & meant lugging an external drive around with me.

Will be looking for a Thunderbolt display next month so my search starts now for anyone in an EPP? :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts