Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im on the look out for a 3.2 , and really cant decide if gettin one with magnetic ride is really worth it or not ?

any advice or anyone whose got it etc would be gratefull

thanks

Lee

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Worth it for me, its like two cars in one. You have the good comfy ride and the sporty ride. Car is fully controlled in both modes and very very flat no matter what you do.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm riding on 19" rims with 35 aspect ratio tyres. Haven't driven that far yet and I was afraid that the 'sport' mode might be a little too harsh. No need to have worried, in fact I think I prefer the tighter control of the 'sport' mode over the 'normal' mode under most conditions such is the more noticeable body control. TBH the car takes the speed bumps in our village better in sport mode than normal mode which I definitely wasn't expecting :eek: However, I've no idea how the 'normally' sprung car compares to either of the two settings available with magnetic ride. If it is closer to the 'sport' mode than the 'normal' mode then I might just have wated a few bob :(

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rebel said:
what about trying it yourselve during a testdrive?
becuse a test drive last a 30 mins maybe an hour , whereas asking people who have been driving the experience will , i would have thought, give me even more advisory opinions ?

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
If you want to buy a car like a MK2 with some option's you should ask the demo-car for a weekend.

second, even in a 30 minute testdrive you will feel and experience the difference from Magnetic Ride.

except if you are a woman or "polisher" like some people over here on the forum, than you should go for sat-navigation-option with park-distance-control and leave the magnetic ride.

·
Registered
98 Posts
luciferlee said:
Rebel said:
becuse a test drive last a 30 mins maybe an hour , whereas asking people who have been driving the experience will , i would have thought, give me even more advisory opinions ?
Try and get your dealer to arrange back to back tests with and without - anyone who has it will now take it for granted anyway (i.e. has nothing but none too fresh memories to compare it to) so I would suggest that the best way is to experience the contrast yourself. My dealer did this - I had each car for 45 - 60 mins but had made my mind up within 5 minutes of getting back into a standard car - I have MR btw.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sisttr said:
luciferlee said:
Rebel said:
Try and get your dealer to arrange back to back tests with and without - anyone who has it will now take it for granted anyway (i.e. has nothing but none too fresh memories to compare it to) so I would suggest that the best way is to experience the contrast yourself. My dealer did this - I had each car for 45 - 60 mins but had made my mind up within 5 minutes of getting back into a standard car - I have MR btw.
good idea, will do that :wink:

cheers

Lee

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Rebel said:
If you want to buy a car like a MK2 with some option's you should ask the demo-car for a weekend.

second, even in a 30 minute testdrive you will feel and experience the difference from Magnetic Ride.

except if you are a woman or "polisher" like some people over here on the forum, than you should go for sat-navigation-option with park-distance-control and leave the magnetic ride.
Hi! I'm a "polisher" with SatNav, park distance control AND magnetic ride. As I focus on the instructions from the SatNav and reverse into the parking space at the salon where I work as a hairdresser, the magnetic ride provides a firm (ooooohhhh) ride.

Actually - it makes a major difference if you drive at speed on twisties - even where the surface is bad. The confidence you get from the sense of sure-footedness is impressive. If you mostly do in city or motorway driving, you'll not get your money's worth. If you drive like Rebel, you'll go through "dempers" every three months. I believe "demper" is Dutch for a form of adult diaper, but I'm not sure. :wink:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wish I had had it on my MK2 2.0ltr ( Now sold - TTS on order )
I test drove a 3.2 with MR and it was great.
As Tosh says 2 cars in one - in sport mode you can feel the car firm up.
It constantly monitors road conditions and adjusts suspension accordingly in both normal and sport modes.
Cant wait nor the new car now - missing the old one.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Try before you buy as per usual. I didn't try an MR car so didn't feel I was missing anything so did not spec. Still happy 7 months on - sports suspension with 19" is good enough for my needs. Just drove to Newcastle and back to Edinburgh the other day (1st long drive) and it was generally quite comfortable.

Just be mindful that MR is never in a million years going to turn a TT into a GT3 RS / Lotus Exige type car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I see only one issue with the otherwise sound advice given here - I couldn't get hold of a MR-equipped car to test. The dealer (Manchester) had never even seen one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
penfold said:
I see only one issue with the otherwise sound advice given here - I couldn't get hold of a MR-equipped car to test. The dealer (Manchester) had never even seen one.
Preston Audi currently have a 3.2 S-Tronic Roadster demonstrator that has MR. I drove it last week.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have to agree with Singletrack.

The point is, it works but the question is, do you need/want it. A bit like SatNav or parking sensors really.

Phil

Singletrack said:
Actually - it makes a major difference if you drive at speed on twisties - even where the surface is bad. The confidence you get from the sense of sure-footedness is impressive. If you mostly do in city or motorway driving, you'll not get your money's worth. If you drive like Rebel, you'll go through "dempers" every three months. I believe "demper" is Dutch for a form of adult diaper, but I'm not sure. :wink:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.