Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to remove the main front grill (5 bar) with the bumper still in place. After removing the lower grills and shreading my arm I have undone all the top clips and pulled the top of the grill out a bit but I'm struggling with the bottom. I'm not sure if I should be trying to undo the bottom clips and pull the grill out straight or if I should try and get the top completely clear before looking at the bottom. Can anyone give me some advice? I was looking at the 3 bar grill I want to put in and it seems like it wont come out straight because of the lugs on the bottom but the top won't pull right out first because the grill is too deep!

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,560 Posts
Hi Gedward, Give it a pull out & up & the 6 spring clips on the bottom will ping off. No need to replace them.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so do i pull the bottom or get the top out first?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh right, how did you get on with the lugs on the bottom? I can't seem to get them clear

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Fine mate just pulled up and out I did pop the sides if I remember right you can be quite forceful with it mate don't be scared.
It's the clips at the top that more care is needed to not break them .

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,560 Posts
Hi Gedward, As I said pull the top outwards towards you slightly & up & springs clips along bottom will pop off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I'll have another go. I'm more scared of breaking the bumper than anything else! seems to be a lot weaker than the grill

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The top is finally clear but those spring clips are not budging! If I put any harder the bumper will crack as it won't flex any further. Starting to wish I hadn't bothered now lol

Does anyone know how to get the clips off without pulling the grill?

·
Administrator
96,560 Posts
Hi Gedward, Never had any prob removing mine that way, in fact they popped off quite easily. Try a rocking motion from side to side.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THEY'RE OFF!! took a tip from TT4PJ's thread of pulling the grill forward and getting behind it from the top with a screwdriver. Bottom is still caught on something but hopefully it's just a plastic clip thats fallen back into place, I'll find out after the rain shower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.