Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 series which has a really fast steering rack and so if the back steps out then its easy to catch. the TT is so heavy and slow in comparrison i feel if the back end did come out then it would be difficult to catch.

therefore is there any way it can be made faster and lighter ?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If the backend is stepping out on the TT then you have done something drastically wrong given that they are FWD or predominently FWD baised for the quattro models and chances of getting it back are slim LOL

If the backend steps out, stamp on the accelerator :)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Stay away from huge spacers on your front axle...they can slow steering a tad, and make the steering less precise and woolly. Then its all about the balance and physics of chassis stiffness front to rear.
Keeping the rear ride height slightly higher than the front can help steering feel. Also a front ARB that is to stiff compared to the rear can take away steering feel.....

Im looking forward to having my pss9's fitted, because i will be able to adjust the damping rates front and rear. Which will be interesting. The rear always more harder set than the front. Im looking forward to experimenting. :)

I think rear wheel drive cars will always have the edge on steering feel. Bmw do this so well. Come to think of it the performance haldex should also help steering feel on our bugs, due to a tad more power being sent to the rear.
Damien.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
TTSPORT666 said:
. Come to think of it the performance haldex should also help steering feel on our bugs, due to a tad more power being sent to the rear.
Damien.
Oooohhh yes. Sure does. Cornering power balance, Four wheel braking, Roundabouts a pleasure.....all subtle but good :D

Brian

·
Registered
332 Posts
audi_tt 83 said:
I have a 1 series which has a really fast steering rack and so if the back steps out then its easy to catch. the TT is so heavy and slow in comparrison i feel if the back end did come out then it would be difficult to catch.

There are afew things you could look at, in order of expense;

1. Check tyre pressures first thing in the morning, when the tyres are stone cold. Add 0.1 bar above recommended pressure.

2. Get a 4 wheel alignment, and ask for the front camber to be set at -1.4 to -1.5 degrees. This is a "fast road" set up.

3. Replace old OEM front top strut mounts with Leon Cupra R top mounts. Stiffer and more precise.

4. Fit defcon front suspension bushes. These return the steering characteristics to something approaching the original 1998 design. The original design was changed after a few high-speed prangs, to introduce a significant degree of understeer. Probably the best version for fast road use would be the defcon 3.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ragnar said:
audi_tt 83 said:

There are afew things you could look at, in order of expense;

1. Check tyre pressures first thing in the morning, when the tyres are stone cold. Add 0.1 bar above recommended pressure.

2. Get a 4 wheel alignment, and ask for the front camber to be set at -1.4 to -1.5 degrees. This is a "fast road" set up.

3. Replace old OEM front top strut mounts with Leon Cupra R top mounts. Stiffer and more precise.

4. Fit defcon front suspension bushes. These return the steering characteristics to something approaching the original 1998 design. The original design was changed after a few high-speed prangs, to introduce a significant degree of understeer. Probably the best version for fast road use would be the defcon 3.

Hope this helps. :)
i think this could help, i will certainly try the first 3. i already have the blue haldex which has made it more neutral rather than understeer.

do you have a part number for the top mounts ?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
TTSPORT666 said:
The rear always more harder set than the front. Im looking forward to experimenting. :)
Agreed with everything, bar this! For fast laps rear should be softer as far less weight. Yes wont make you feel like vin deisel but is faster!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Bikerz said:
TTSPORT666 said:
The rear always more harder set than the front. Im looking forward to experimenting. :)
Agreed with everything, bar this! For fast laps rear should be softer as far less weight. Yes wont make you feel like vin deisel but is faster!
Ok fair enough.. i personally don't do soggy rear ends....ARB set to stiffest , will be fun experimenting though when i get my pss9's. :) Thanks for agreeing with everything everybody has said though, its honor to have your blessing ....you overlooking over you kingdom? [smiley=help.gif]

Damien.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
TTSPORT666 said:
Bikerz said:
TTSPORT666 said:
Ok fair enough.. i personally don't do soggy rear ends....ARB set to stiffest , will be fun experimenting though when i get my pss9's. :) Thanks for agreeing with everything everybody has said though, its honor to have your blessing ....you overlooking over you kingdom? [smiley=help.gif]

Damien.
:lol:

There is a tradae off with it, stiffer rear will give you oversteer characteristics more point and squirt due to weight transfer

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Agreed with everything, bar this! For fast laps rear should be softer as far less weight. Yes wont make you feel like vin deisel but is faster![/quote]

Damien.[/quote]

:lol:

There is a tradae off with it, stiffer rear will give you oversteer characteristics more point and squirt due to weight transfer[/quote]

:p But lets be honest getting the rear out on the TT is tough, and if it starts twitching i will back off the stiffness a tad. My qs's rear gripped like a bastard when i had the rear H&R set to stiffest setting, same principle with my alfa's. I'm wondering what the stiffest setting will be like on the pss9's? There is a middle ground and compromise though. :) I feel an over stiff front induces under steer and loss of steering feel. I would rather have over steer than under steer any day of the week. :D
Damien.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I know you dont like my voicing opions (Im sure thats what a forum is for). But your probally find you want to reduce ARB stiff not alot as you increase stiffness of coilovers. I still run stock ARB!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Not at all brother... :) standard ARB's? pourquoi? Even with the standard qs shocks and springs my qs was literally transformed with the h&R ARB's? Do appreciate your point on the stiffness relation between coilovers and ARB setup. :)

Damien.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Im a beliver in trying and after playing with race cars (Motorsport engineering at uni) Its far better to have a stiff chassis and suspension and use ARB as complimentary items (Hence not used on many race cars). Road cars that are now raced tend to have their ARB removed...... So keen to sort everything else out and play with ARB later. (Not rich enough to have loads of ARB to swap in and out)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts