Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, does putting the TTS in sport mode then manual make a difference? Because it just says M on the cockpit. It's the first time I've really used them and it seemed a bit muted compared to automatic sport mode. To be honest I'm probably doing it wrong and need to be more aggressive with the accelerator. It does take a bit of getting used rather than just mashing it into kickdown, which incidentally is fun.

Cheers,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Funny i've been wondering the same thing about my RS, it feels like leaving it in sport mode produces more pops and bangs than if i switch it to manual. I do find the overall noise of the mk3 a lot more muted than my old mk2, the mk3s must have a lot more sound deadening.

·
Registered
184 Posts
To be honest, the relationship between the mode the car is in and then the mode you can change the gearbox to is one of the most confusing things I've ever come across, especially when (whatever mode you are in) it goes back to the "normal" mode whenever you turn off the ignition.

I think, however (and I'm talking from an RS point of view) once you go to manual, I think it doesn't seem to matter what mode you were in previously for the gearbox. Also, remember that the RS (in proper manual mode) won't change up if you hit the rev limiter, whereas the rest of the range do. I thought it was when I booted it to pass a couple of cars and went past them bouncing off the rev limiter lol. Lesson learned :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
To be honest, the relationship between the mode the car is in and then the mode you can change the gearbox to is one of the most confusing things I've ever come across, especially when (whatever mode you are in) it goes back to the "normal" mode whenever you turn off the ignition.

I think, however (and I'm talking from an RS point of view) once you go to manual, I think it doesn't seem to matter what mode you were in previously for the gearbox. Also, remember that the RS (in proper manual mode) won't change up if you hit the rev limiter, whereas the rest of the range do. I thought it was when I booted it to pass a couple of cars and went past them bouncing off the rev limiter lol. Lesson learned :)
I'm toying with buying one of these Audi TT RS 8S Klappenmodul über original Abgasklappentaste to resolve the going to back normal after restart thing, which is rather annoying. Basically shelling out £400 to have the car behave as it should have in the first place. Haven't used the manual mode much in the mk3 due to my perception that it doesn't produce the same noises as when left in Sport mode, so haven't noticed that it doesn't auto shift at the limiter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yeah I think you're right about sport/drive having no effect. I think there may be a knack to getting more noise with the paddles, I'll have to experiment with them. At first I couldn't get the change up thump noise I get in sport until I was nearer the red line but I couldn't get the kickdown howl, maybe you need to floor it then shift down?

Also I get a green up arrow telling me to change up, but it's very low, about 2k rpm, like it's in drive more. I'm guessing that's set by drive select?

Cheers,

·
Registered
844 Posts
Speaking from the perspective of the 2018 TTRS.

If I engage "SPORT" mode it increases the engine RPM. If I then enter manual mode, pushing to the left, the manual is engaged but keeps the RPM hike and keeps all the noises normally associated with "SPORT."

Also if you pull and hold the downshift going into tight corners the gearbox will pull the lowest gear possible for your the exit - avoiding the sequential 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 and giving you the lowest gear very quickly.

The bit that does still confuse me is the auto upshift at the rev limit when in manual. Sometimes the car bounces off the limiter, but sometimes it shifts! I haven't quite worked out this bit yet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
In manual, it shifts from first to second. Limiter for the other gears.

Reactions: kevin#34

·
Registered
48 Posts

If I engage "SPORT" mode it increases the engine RPM. If I then enter manual mode, pushing to the left, the manual is engaged but keeps the RPM hike and keeps all the noises normally associated with "SPORT."

Also if you pull and hold the downshift going into tight corners the gearbox will pull the lowest gear possible for your the exit - avoiding the sequential 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 and giving you the lowest gear very quickly.

The bit that does still confuse me is the auto upshift at the rev limit when in manual. Sometimes the car bounces off the limiter, but sometimes it shifts! I haven't quite worked out this bit yet.
Does your car always produce the pops/bangs on the downshift? I really only notice it on going from 3rd to 2nd (around 2k) and it's hit and miss whether it does it at all.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Similar frequency to being in sports mode I would say. Every so often, when being driven enthusiastically, the car can decide to be extremely noisy. I guess it's the AK-47 noise that some have spoken about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

That's interesting I'm going to try that. There's a very tight banked bend getting onto the a64 from askham bar so it's ideal to try.

I also noticed using the paddles that sometimes it doesn't upshift if the revs are too low.

On to ours do you get the green arrow to upshift? On mine it does this around 2k which is a bit weird.

·
Registered
844 Posts
That's interesting I'm going to try that. There's a very tight banked bend getting onto the a64 from askham bar so it's ideal to try.

I also noticed using the paddles that sometimes it doesn't upshift if the revs are too low.

On to ours do you get the green arrow to upshift? On mine it does this around 2k which is a bit weird.
Funny how I know exactly where you mean, not far from my old School and 6th form college!

It would be far more entertaining on the roads to the north of the 64 to test the upshifts. I took my nephew for a run out in that area and used the feature into some tight bends. He was shocked and impressed with his run out.

I do get the shift lights, but not sure if it's in all modes. I will take a look when the car comes out again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
. Also, remember that the RS (in proper manual mode) won't change up if you hit the rev limiter, whereas the rest of the range do. I thought it was when I booted it to pass a couple of cars and went past them bouncing off the rev limiter lol. Lesson learned :)
Easily done on any TT mk3. Kickdown removal and change up removal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny how I know exactly where you mean, not far from my old School and 6th form college!

It would be far more entertaining on the roads to the north of the 64 to test the upshifts. I took my nephew for a run out in that area and used the feature into some tight bends. He was shocked and impressed with his run out.

I do get the shift lights, but not sure if it's in all modes. I will take a look when the car comes out again.
Ha, small world. I work in York but live in Leeds. Yeah that's a feature which will come in handy when I'm feeling brave coming out of the car park.

Cheers,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello, does putting the TTS in sport mode then manual make a difference? Because it just says M on the cockpit. It's the first time I've really used them and it seemed a bit muted compared to automatic sport mode.
I think the same , mine is definitely louder in Sport gearbox that using manual mode

1 - 16 of 16 Posts