Audi TT Forum banner

Mark one roadster roof problems

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  droopsnoot 
#1 ·
Hello I’m new to the forum – and I have a mark one TT roadster and the roof refuses to close- It has a replacement pump and realise but still won’t work opens okay but will not close-are there some relays elsewhere that I need to be looking at and also is there a mobile TT expert in my area I live on the Northants stroke but border for any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
Trevor

#4 ·
There are two relays, one for "open" and the other for "close". They are mounted on the pump, and are the same as each other, standard 5-pin relays. An easy way to see if it's the relay is to exchange them and see if the problem moves, but decent relays aren't expensive so it might be easiest to just put two new ones in.

ETA - Ah, I see you probably meant "it has had a brand new pump and relays" - in which case the above doesn't help. I can't delete it, though.

Does it do anything at all to try to close? If it tries but the roof doesn't move far enough, that might point to it needing to be filled with the appropriate fluid.

#12 ·
I don't think there is a fuse for it - there's nothing listed in the handbook, at least. If the windows drop and the light comes on it can't be the microswitch. When you operate the "open" button, can you hear the relay clicking from the back? If not, it might be a dodgy relay. If you can hear it click but it doesn't operate, it might be the broken supply wire - so the relay is working, but it has no power to switch. The relays are mounted on the motor in the back, and the broken wire that I found was on the connector that is on the side of the motor. Access (if it can be called that) is through the little access panel on the rear shelf on the passenger side of the car, if it's RHD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.