Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Me and the GF fancy a couple of weeks in Mexico in May - have searched and found a few threads but it never hurts to ask again!

Any specific recommendations? Cancun is the obvious one but don't want anywhere too lively. When's Spring Break by the way?! Playacar looks to be well rated by a few on here? Also the Riu hotels? Would be looking at 5* ideally but budget will be about £3k for the pair of us so don't know if that's feasible?

Looking for a really relaxing 'by the pool' type holiday so don't need any activities, although the GF does want to swim with dolphins.

If anyone can recommend a specific resort and/or hotel complex that would be great.

TIA

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
We stayed in the Riu complex at Playa Car for our honeymoon mate.

Fantastic place, about an hour from Cancun I think. Loved the All Inclusive, as hadn't done that before, but it wasn't queuing for drinks or anything like that.

Dolphins was a fantastic experience, if quite pricey. (£80 for a cd of photos which I think I've looked at once :oops: )

If your interested I've got a few other recommendations of things we did while we were there for the two weeks.

Hope this is of some help.

Mat

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hark said:
We stayed in the Riu complex at Playa Car for our honeymoon mate.

Fantastic place, about an hour from Cancun I think. Loved the All Inclusive, as hadn't done that before, but it wasn't queuing for drinks or anything like that.

Dolphins was a fantastic experience, if quite pricey. (£80 for a cd of photos which I think I've looked at once :oops: )

If your interested I've got a few other recommendations of things we did while we were there for the two weeks.

Hope this is of some help.

Mat
Cheers Mat - sounds like just the kind of thing we're after. Did all inclusive a couple of years back to the Dominican Republic and, while we really enjoyed it, we did it on the cheap and want a bit more luxury this time around. From what I've seen £3k should get us somewhere decent.

Recommendations of other things to do there welcome - we're thinking of 11 nights/2 weeks so will want a couple of days with stuff to do but mainly want pool/beach and excellent food and drink :) .

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Ours was opposite that one, Riu Tequilla

Having said I did walk around there a fair bit as you can use the facilities at the different hotels. Preferred the restaurant at ours, but that one is straight out on to the beach.

Entertainment was a bit ropey on the nights. It kind of alternated so one night there might be an act that was preety good, the second night you would have a really dicey performance from the hotel staff. Day activities were well organised if that's your thing.

Beaches are good, fairly quiet compared to lots of other places, but bare in mind that it was the same year as Swine Flu. :roll: Only thing worth mentioning is that about 200 yards out there are sand bags (they look like rocks from a distance) which you can see at low tide. Didn't bother me in the slightest, because the beaches were lovely. I have some pics if you want/need.

As for trips we went on quite a few. Some booked through Thomson, but lots through a little hut up the road in playacar. Generally worked out alot cheaper than Thomson.

Loved the dolphins.
Did Tulum which are ancient ruins. - alright but wouldn't do it again tbh.
CHICHEN ITZA - Definitely worth a look if you like history. One of the ancient wonders of the world.
XEL-HA - This was probably my favourite. It's a huge lagoon. Around the edge are bars/lockers etc but in the middle the snorkelling is amazing. Saw more there than when I went Scuba Diving. There is also a cliff jump, donuts down a slow river etc.

We also did a quad bike/caving thing. Quad bikes for a bout 3 hours with stops through the jungle. The caves were utterly amazing, not good if your claustrophobic, but better than any other caves I'd been down.

:p

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mat - really appreciated :D

All those hotels in the Riu complex look good - just can't see what the difference between 4* and 5* would be and whether it's worth paying the extra?

Any photos you've got would be great to see - thanks again.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We are off to Mexico this day 5 weeks, 3rd May. Booked Dreams Tulum, in Tulum obviously.
Cant recommend it to you as we havent been yet but accomodation is a big thing for us when we go away, nice room in a nice hotel in a reasonably quiet resort. seems to rate highly on Trip advisor, and I have been in touch with the hotel requesting specific rooms in specific parts of the hotel :lol: and they have replied in the affirmative.

Hope you get away and also get somewhere nice.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
We stayed in the bahia principe in tulum. Fabulous place but that was in 2002 so not exactly recent.

Hope you have a nice time.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
WozzaTT said:
Thanks Mat - really appreciated :D

All those hotels in the Riu complex look good - just can't see what the difference between 4* and 5* would be and whether it's worth paying the extra?

Any photos you've got would be great to see - thanks again.
We stayed in The Riu Yucatan Hotel,Playacar right on the beach,got to say it was the mutts nuts.We had heard how good the Riu chain was before we left and def weren't dissapointed.You can use about three or four other hotels on the complex for drinks but must take your main meal at your own hotel if I remember correctly.We met a couple who were staying at the Riu Palace and they spent nearly every night in our hotel for the entertainment and atmosphere.As good as the Riu Palace was they found it lacked atmosphere in the nights and most of the guests were in bed early or in our hotel or others on the complex.As said about the sandbags in a previous post they didn't bother us either.Apparently the beach has undergone a bit of a makeover in the last 12 months.We are thinking of returning very soon so would definately recommend it :D

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies and recommendations [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Going to get something booked up over Easter and then the countdown begins - only 6 weeks though and I've got a week off in April anyway. Good times!! :p

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm - we're still umming and ahhing on this.

Anyone any experience of the Sensatori resort? I think it's the one Jamie Redknapp advertises, which is obviously off-putting, but it does look very nice.

It's either this one or the Riu Yucatan.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Woz Playa Carr is very nice passed through a couple of times bit quieter then Cancun. I love Cancun been 4 times now. Any way some friends stayed at the RIU in Playa Carr and loved it. Have a nice time buddy :p

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
We went to Moon Palace in 1999 there was only one side of it built back then (its doubled in size now) we were staying at the Cancun Palace and could use all the other hotels within the group. It does not suit me as I like to be right in the heart of things the Moon Palace is just a little to far out for me plus I thought the Moon Palace while nice was just to big and impersonal

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
We went in Nov 08' paid £3200 for 2 weeks AI the hotel is amazing yes it is large!! but if your feeling lazy one of the many golf carts will drive you where you want to go, staff were so friendly and couldn't do enought for you, as for choice i think there are 13 restaurants some buffet some a la carte......They were too a great standard. Even the BBQ's during the day were sooo good on top of that you could drink ANYTHING you wanted!!
Yes its a bit far down the strip but they provide a bus service or jump in a cab.
Im definatly going to go back again :p

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
moon palace (Cancun) is a bit out of the way but great in its own right, stay in one of the hotels close "the strip" they all are good due to the American influence, stay WELL away during American spring break they are MENTAL, Chitchen Itza is soooo interesting , the DO NOT FEED THE ALLIGATORS sign in the lagoon are for real....the buses are fantastic well worth at least one ride they will stop even if you even "look" like you wanna get on
Cancun is a great place for all inc hol...dont forget the hurrican season we went during one they even took down the flag flying from the 8ft in diameter flagpole no real danger so it was "fun"

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Wozza, have you been to Mexico yet :roll: If you have please tell me you enjoyed :)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jamo8 said:
Wozza, have you been to Mexico yet :roll: If you have please tell me you enjoyed :)
Hi Jamo - yes got back on Tuesday morning and had a superb time so thanks again for the recommendation!!

Can't really fault anything to be the honest - the beach, pools, room (free upgrade to a suite when we arrived for no apparent reason!), food, drinks, entertainment, people - all fantastic!

Just gutted to be back working in dirty Brum city centre today after 2 weeks of dozing on a sunlounger and gazing at that perfect turquoise blue sea. Would certainly go there again - we swam with dolphins and went on a snorkelling trip but there's loads more we wanted to do. Only slight complaint - it was too bloody hot!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.