Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK ! Not Happy!

Noticed this morning after not driving the TT for 5 days that the once shiny new Milltek non res cat back has started rusting quite severely on the left pipe and semi badly on the right pipe. Both inside and on the rim of the pipes.
As I have only had these on for about 5 weeks I am pretty piss*d and I'm thinking I should ring Jabbasport to discuss options!

What do you lot think?

Should I try and clean? I'm thinking why should I mask a problem?
Take back and demand a replacement?
Take back and demand an alternative to be fitted?

Thoughts appreciated and if that has been discussed before, sorry!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Call Jabbasport where I bought & had fitted or call Milltek?

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Bloody hell, don't say that. I've waited almost two years until Milltek had (supposedly) got their quality issues sorted out, now it looks like they're going rusty again. Mine's been on a couple of weeks. We'll see....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll report back when I speak to Jabba. They might not be open tomorrow so this might have to wait till Tuesday.

I will give another exhaust a go and I will ask how long they had mine in stock before it was fitted. I'm not impressed though. Yes the sound and peformance is amazing but a NEW exhaust should not rust in just over 4 weeks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jabba were not helpful.
Dismissed me in fact.
Told them I wanted a replacement or I would go direct to Millek. Backtracked and asked me to email a photo!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
tony_rigby_uk said:
ah the joys of china manufacture :roll:

this problem was the main reason i steered away from miltek.. and went blueflame.. i decided to support UK manufacture :lol: :lol:
how long do u think their Olympic stadium will last?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Jabba has been emailed and I expect a decent response!
That rust in my opinion is awful!

I'm wishing I could go Blueflame but I think I will have to have a replacement.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Jen-TT said:
tony_rigby_uk said:

this problem was the main reason i steered away from miltek.. and went blueflame.. i decided to support UK manufacture :lol: :lol:
Hmm Abit like the dome really.,... but hey... that's construction not industrial manufactoring... :lol: :lol:

at least blue flame IS stainless steel :roll:

on a serious note tough this problem has been up a million times... miltek have a production plant in china, an apparently chineese grades of stainless steel aren't the same as UK.. hense there is a issue.. something light a higher rating needed in china to match UK.. belive it's all been resolved with the factory and i'm sure if you got in touch they'd be reasonable after all miltek are a very well known company and should have good CS.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jen-TT said:
tony_rigby_uk said:

I believe it has a staggering rust problem!!!! :D

G

·
There are different grades of stainless. Grade 304 is the cheaper, everyday type. Grade 316 is the decent stuff. I would want an exhaust to be made from that tbh...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very positive news.

Jabba passed on my complaint direct to Milltek and I following on from that I have a very nice chat with the MD from Milltek last evening.

The rust problem really should not be occuring. All problems in the past were sorted and we believe this might be a minor polishing issue. The exhausts are not manufactured in China, they are Brisish made and Milltek are very proud of this.
I will be popping up to Derby in the next couple of weeks to get it all sorted.

Very impressed with this level of service and I will report back once all done. Well done Milltek.

G

·
In a similar vein, I posted this up on the "Anyone Bought a Milltek Lately?" thread last night:

To summarise, although all the exhaust system parts are made in the U.K., they sub-contract out polishing of the tail pipes (of which they have about 25 different designs) overseas. It appears that some of these have been contaminated with lower grade metal during the polishing process.

They are expecting a new batch of 18/8 stainless tail pipe pieces in about ten days and have invested in a spectrographic analyser to check the quality of the components. I'll be sent a new set of pipes once they are satisfied that the items are of the correct quality and have the right certification.

Regards,

Doug

We need to give these guys a chance to sort out issues and they seem to be taking the matter very seriously indeed which is the mark of a good company. We also need to understand how powerful this forum can be in terms of exercising leverage over companies and be very careful not to abuse that power. In this case, two or three people have had problems, complained in the right way to their retailer and have got a highly satisfactory response from both retailer and original equipment manufacturer.

Doug

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep spot on Doug.
I am going to pop up for a look around and a fitting of the new pipes.

Can't argue with the effort from Phil here.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Well, I dunno. You guys are easily pleased. First off, let me say, my Milltek has only been on about a month, and I'd waited for well over a year while Milltek sorted their problems out - supposedly. Anyway, no signs of rust at the moment, that's good. But look, whichever way you look at it, Milltek have had the opportunity to overcome rust problems, and according to reports, rust is still happening. Who's fault is that? not some polisher abroad, it's Milltek! They choose to work with outside service providers, it is up to THEM to check the service provider's procedures are to the required standard. If I own a restaurant and I serve up poor quality food, who's fault is that? It's mine, not the guy I buy the produce off - it's me who chose him. I'm also struggling to understand the cost effectiveness of manufacturing a product in the UK, and shipping it abroad to be polished! I'm sorry, but a phone call from the MD saying that rust should not be happening is only telling me something that I already know - rust should not be happening! Then another Milltek guy (Phil?) let's the cat out of the bag, and confirms that rust IS happening as a result of contamination with other metals. Which probably means that they use the same polishing wheels on a range of products made from different grades of stainless steel. You would think that that would be a fundamental mistake to make for a polisher with a degree of expertise or knowledge in their field. Hmm. The rusty Milltek saga continues and I got my fingers crossed for mine. Bless its two eyed little face.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.