Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently replaced my turbo as I was having boost issues with the stock k03. I changed it out with a 20g Mitsubishi Turbo. Everything I have put into it so far has been custom. The parts list includes but is not limited to: 2.5" Intercooler Piping, Custom Schedule 40 Log Manifold, 20g Mitsu Turbo with bored out turbine exhaust port, Front Mount Intercooler, Custom 2.5" Intake Piping, 36" steel braided oil feed line with banjo connections, and an AEM Tru Boost. I was able to utilize the stock water lines and the oil return line. I have no tuning done so far but I am running a diode on the MAP so it will at least allow for the pressure. The car is running and boosts with no codes but I still need some tuning and I need to get a 3" exhaust set up.

Check out pics on my Facebook Album http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=170073&id=616975794&l=cf3e19d7c0

Vid of the First Run (No Tuning, 9 psi, Not at Full Throttle)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Cracking turbo this one. I assume TD05/06 20G??

Bit laggy to start with on the 1.8 but when it comes on boost.... Wow!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
candyman13 said:
Ya, it is a TD05. It is pretty laggy lol. It doesn't start to brag until about 4k. I can't wait to turn it up.
shouldn't be too laggy if it's a 7cm housing?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It starts to spool around 3k but it hits peek, about 9psi, at 4 - 4.5k. I won't really know it's potential until I start the tuning process. I haven't really romped on it yet.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Er somthing seriously wrong if it only hits 9psi, should be 25psi ish!
Can you not post a vid to show how fast she is?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would personally of put an TD05/06 18G on mate, less trade off and still a fantastic turbo.

But get it mapped properly otherwise you will have problems ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So just a little follow up story in case any of you are interested...

After posting this things went down hill fast...

When installing a custom turbo setup of course things are going to go wrong and they did! I had to modify the water line running to the turbo from the coolant reservoir. Luckily the banjo bolts that mitsubishi used on the 20g were the same size as the lines running to the k03 so everything bolted up well. I used a plastic coolant T from Autozone to tie the modified line into the old hoses. First MAJOR mistake...

In Audi's brilliance they use a reverse flow cooling system, so instead of coolant flowing from top to bottom in the radiator it comes from the bottom to the top so that it fills the entire radiator evenly which is Genius... I didn't know this when I hooked the coolant lines up, so the line I thought was going into the turbo was really coming out. So this SUPER heated coolant via SUPER HOT turbo was melting my coolant T. So I over heated on the freeway and warped my head...

I purchased a used AEB head and had it race ported and polished in hopes it would help spool the 20g, and it did! After the new head install I went for a nice saturday drive. The turbo went from max spool at 6000rpm down to 4000rpm! Unfortunately I was being dumb and did not get the car tuned... That night on the way home I was racing on the freeway and my check engine light flashed and I felt a cylinder drop. After pulling the head again I found that I burned 2 exhaust valves. I had the valve seats and valves replaced and reinstalled the head. This round I installed 4 Bosch Green Giant 440cc injectors. It ran very rich but I was ok with it since I was more concerned about burning a valve at this point, but the car ran horribly...

2 more times the coolant T broke after this and I warped my head both times. Right before the last time I warped the head I went to get my car tuned finally and spent a grand on it... After the tune I found out that I had a lack of compression thanks to my piston rings loosing tension from overheating all the time... So the last time I putted around before it over heated again and I finally through in the towel...

Very expensive lesson I learned with that car... I could have spent $75 and replaced the plastic coolant T with a metal one. it would have saved thousands of dollars and a lot of heart ache. In the end I spent over $12k building that car and I did all the labor... What a waste...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
candyman13 said:
So just a little follow up story in case any of you are interested...

After posting this things went down hill fast...

When installing a custom turbo setup of course things are going to go wrong and they did! I had to modify the water line running to the turbo from the coolant reservoir. Luckily the banjo bolts that mitsubishi used on the 20g were the same size as the lines running to the k03 so everything bolted up well. I used a plastic coolant T from Autozone to tie the modified line into the old hoses. First MAJOR mistake...

In Audi's brilliance they use a reverse flow cooling system, so instead of coolant flowing from top to bottom in the radiator it comes from the bottom to the top so that it fills the entire radiator evenly which is Genius... I didn't know this when I hooked the coolant lines up, so the line I thought was going into the turbo was really coming out. So this SUPER heated coolant via SUPER HOT turbo was melting my coolant T. So I over heated on the freeway and warped my head...

I purchased a used AEB head and had it race ported and polished in hopes it would help spool the 20g, and it did! After the new head install I went for a nice saturday drive. The turbo went from max spool at 6000rpm down to 4000rpm! Unfortunately I was being dumb and did not get the car tuned... That night on the way home I was racing on the freeway and my check engine light flashed and I felt a cylinder drop. After pulling the head again I found that I burned 2 exhaust valves. I had the valve seats and valves replaced and reinstalled the head. This round I installed 4 Bosch Green Giant 440cc injectors. It ran very rich but I was ok with it since I was more concerned about burning a valve at this point, but the car ran horribly...

2 more times the coolant T broke after this and I warped my head both times. Right before the last time I warped the head I went to get my car tuned finally and spent a grand on it... After the tune I found out that I had a lack of compression thanks to my piston rings loosing tension from overheating all the time... So the last time I putted around before it over heated again and I finally through in the towel...

Very expensive lesson I learned with that car... I could have spent $75 and replaced the plastic coolant T with a metal one. it would have saved thousands of dollars and a lot of heart ache. In the end I spent over $12k building that car and I did all the labor... What a waste...
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Least your man enough to post up what went wrong.. plenty of people on here disappear when faults or issues occur.

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
Couldn't agree more good on you for being so open about your issues, hope they are all just a painful memory now and the car is running better :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.