Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a bit of youtube rabbithole journey this morning an ended up watching an electric powersteering conversion to VW caddy and then on to a silly powered Mk1 MX5 which had it steering upgraded to a Mk2s.

It got me thinking about the weight of the TT steering, which is a bit of heavy side (although not unbearable). The TT doesnt really get that much 'feel' through the wheel so i cant see it being a detrimental modification. I wondered if the MK2s hadit and it appears that they do.

Comparing MK1 to MK2 they look fairly similar - has anyone attempted a mk1 to mk2 steering conversion?

Cant say i'm looking to do it any time soon (if at all) but wondered with a few posts of steering recently if its worth a go when/if my steering inevitably crumbles away.

Sports equipment Road surface Tool Asphalt Wood
Road surface Grey Asphalt Floor Event

·
Registered
348 Posts
Highly doubt that is doable, Mk2 has kinda of sensor. Don't mention those mounting points hard to match.

Rebuild is another way to go.

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah ok, cheers. Optimistic viewing on my part!

I guess the next option then if the rack cant be powered would be through the column, which seems to be fairly common in classics.
I see that Corsa EPS columns can be had for £200ish and apparently corsa weight between 980 - 1530kg(!?) which the mk1 sits within so not a huge weight disparity there.

Im sure its been considered previously and theres pobably a huge list of reasons why its not more common (if completed at all) on a Mk1, just interested to know why.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its nowhere near as heavy as unpowered, sure, but not as light as EPS.

There are quite a few posts about heavy steering in the mk1 section so evidently one persons 'not heavy at all' is another persons 'heavy'. I cant say i personally have an issue with it in anyway other than it feels heavier than my other car. Its not detrimental to my experience of the car and i hardly think about it after 30seconds of driving but with some posts recently talking about replacements etc I was wondering if it woudl be worth consideration.

its more of conversation if its possible / has anyone done it rather than why would you.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,702 Posts
Hi, It's heavier than my Nurburg VXR, but much much lighter than my XR3. Never a problem & after a mile or so I wouldn't even notice it.
Makes it much more stable at speed.
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually think it's too light at speed
I was talking about this with someone yesterday as I think i experience the same thing. I dont know if its lack of weight or lack of feeling but i think i get what you mean.

We concluded that unless you have driven a car with proper steering (which, personally I don't think i have ever really done) it comes down to a case of personal preference. The MX5 video I was watching originally had the driver (who was chassis engineer) talking about how he could feel every part of what the chassis, suspension etc was doing as he drove it - no idea even where to begin on that level of understanding and how that translates to a feeling within the car!

If the steering suddenly goes wrong on mine I'll look into it a bit more, then probably realise the reality of the work involved and buy a standard replacement part.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,702 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Hi, At speed it's more likely understeer than lightness of the steering.
Hoggy. :)
I was mainly refering to motorway driving. I think the increased castor mod would improve the feel on motorways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts