Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
MK3 TTRS Roadster in Ara Blue Crystal.
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question on Rear Anti-Roll Bars.
What is considered the better/more suitable rear ARB for the 2.0 fwd. I'm looking for an improvement in body control and a sharper steering feel.
I have already decided on having the W.A.L.K set up fitted along side the lower engine mount, and all to be done whilst at the garage. This will be followed up with a full geo wheel alignment to get the best out of the new kit installation.

Any advice you guys can give would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jase.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Not sure what your asking. Is it what ARB's are available? If so there are a lot's of ARB's on the market, most lowering spring manufacturers make ARB's. If you want you can have a look through my build thread as has some information on bushings, ARB's and the walk kit, also some info on strut bar's too.

Bushings, and Walk kit - http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=232583&hilit=2.0tfsi+project&start=45

Rear ARB- http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=232583&hilit=2.0tfsi+project&start=90

If you do want some more advice, just give me a shout :)

·
Premium Member
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
McKenzie said:
Not sure what your asking. Is it what ARB's are available? If so there are a lot's of ARB's on the market, most lowering spring manufacturers make ARB's. If you want you can have a look through my build thread as has some information on bushings, ARB's and the walk kit, also some info on strut bar's too.

Bushings, and Walk kit - http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=232583&hilit=2.0tfsi+project&start=45

Rear ARB- http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=232583&hilit=2.0tfsi+project&start=90

If you do want some more advice, just give me a shout :)
Wow McKenzie you've been a busy boy. Have been following your thread off and on for a while and some fantastic modifications been done each time I visit. Well done there. :)

My question in a nutshell is.. I would like to fit a stiffer arb at the rear because I think its a bit soft when you press on a bit on the B roads. Ideally it needs to work well with the W.A.L.Kit that's to be fitted but there are several different diameter arb's on the market.
Is it worth picking one up that has adjustability rather than buy adjustable drop links ? Heard any reviews on the Whiteline arb's.

If I've confused you more now, I apologise in advance.

Cheers,
Jase.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Not at all Jase, I fully understand what your getting at. Most ARB's on the market are 2 or 3 point adjustable. Generally they will all be exactly the same shape but will vary in thickness and rigidity at the blade part of the bar (where the drop links connect into the ARB). I was going to go with the Whiteline ARB myself as seems a decent price and liked the way they have a neutral thickness on both the front and rear ARBs and believe for a FWD TT you need the rear to be as thick as the front where 90% of the ARB's are available in a thicker front bar to rear bar ratio.

In short you can really go wrong with an aftermarket ARB if you buy a decent make, Whiteline ARB's would be in my top 2-3 for choice. The reason I went with Autotech was for the weight saving as it's a hollow bar compared to most that are solid. However they are a bit more expensive to import. I also went for the Whiteline rear drop links as they adjustable but the main reason is they are heavier duty which will cope with the added stress of a stiffer bar, I would recommended these. I think they retail around £100 so not too pricey.

I found upgrading the rear ARB to transform completely how planted the rear of car feel and yet being stiffer seems to help with front end grip relatively. If I ever buy a FWD car again it will be my first handling modification. The ability to change the droplink position with the added 2 or 3 points on the ARB helps to fine tune how stiff you want the bar to be, however I have gone full stiff and seems to work very well.

Hope all of this has made sense and give you a better idea of what direction to go in. Again if you do need any more pointers then let me know :)

And yes I certainly have been a busy boy with the TT :lol: Plenty more to come yet!

·
Premium Member
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
McKenzie said:
Not at all Jase, I fully understand what your getting at. Most ARB's on the market are 2 or 3 point adjustable. Generally they will all be exactly the same shape but will vary in thickness and rigidity at the blade part of the bar (where the drop links connect into the ARB). I was going to go with the Whiteline ARB myself as seems a decent price and liked the way they have a neutral thickness on both the front and rear ARBs and believe for a FWD TT you need the rear to be as thick as the front where 90% of the ARB's are available in a thicker front bar to rear bar ratio.

In short you can really go wrong with an aftermarket ARB if you buy a decent make, Whiteline ARB's would be in my top 2-3 for choice. The reason I went with Autotech was for the weight saving as it's a hollow bar compared to most that are solid. However they are a bit more expensive to import. I also went for the Whiteline rear drop links as they adjustable but the main reason is they are heavier duty which will cope with the added stress of a stiffer bar, I would recommended these. I think they retail around £100 so not too pricey.

I found upgrading the rear ARB to transform completely how planted the rear of car feel and yet being stiffer seems to help with front end grip relatively. If I ever buy a FWD car again it will be my first handling modification. The ability to change the droplink position with the added 2 or 3 points on the ARB helps to fine tune how stiff you want the bar to be, however I have gone full stiff and seems to work very well.

Hope all of this has made sense and give you a better idea of what direction to go in. Again if you do need any more pointers then let me know :)

And yes I certainly have been a busy boy with the TT :lol: Plenty more to come yet!
Excellent stuff, seems to sum up what I was thinking tbh. Just needed to know how much stiffening up the rear
would make to the overall balance of the TT. And I always thought that there was a better handling car to be had with a few choice suspension tweaks and which doesn't destroy the every day ride quality completely.

Thanks for your guidance and keep up the good work on your ride.

Jase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts