Audi TT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Where are you based? I have some 19" OEM S-Line 'Peelers' in the garage you're welcome to try on to see how it sits. I'm near the Humber Bridge if you're not too far away.
They might be coming up for sale at some point in the near future too. :)
Eta: Just noticed the foreign plates so it looks like you're pretty far away :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah I'm all the way from Belgium kinda sucks :cry: I'm still thinking about 18 or 19 inch, don't think from 17 to 18 will be worth the cost though, I have no idea about ride quality between the 2, if theres not a huge difference 19 will be my choice and the rims you are talking about look soooo good on a TT, I'm jealous haha

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The ride quality from 17" to 19" is very different. I loved mine on the 19"s as it corners like it's on rails and of course looks so much better but I must admit the ride on the 17"s I'm on now is so much more comfortable and smoother.
It depends what you're after for everyday driving.
Of course, 18"s may well be a happy medium between the two but I've no experience of a TT on 18"s.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmm yea got to say though even with the 17's I'm on I still feel every bump in the road, it's still a 'sporty' car after all so I don't expect it to ride like a new A6 or anything like that, I just don't want to spend a ton of money on rims + wheels and then be like 'damn the car drives like crap now' :lol:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Minulon said:
Hmm yea got to say though even with the 17's I'm on I still feel every bump in the road, it's still a 'sporty' car after all so I don't expect it to ride like a new A6 or anything like that, I just don't want to spend a ton of money on rims + wheels and then be like 'damn the car drives like crap now' :lol:
Even if someone did spend a ton of mney on big wheels and tyres most convince themselves its fine and dont think " damn the car feels like crap now"

I went from genuine 18" oem TT alloys to genuine oem 19" RS amplified edition alloys and the ride has improved significantly.

May well be that the amplified edition alloys were limited run and made to a better standard than the 18" which are on loads of Audis. My new amplified alloys possibly made from better material which transfers less road noise to car, probably more perfectly symetrical also.

I am running Audi TT OEM amplified/RS 19" alloys on a facelift TT S-line and they look perfect.

Aspect Ratio: 35 Offset: 52
Rim Structure: One Piece Reference OE/OEM Number: 8J0 601 025 CP
Number of Studs: 5 Rim Diameter: 19
Metal Type: Aluminium Rim Width: 9J
Tyre Width: 255 Stud Diameter: 112
Manufacturer Part Number: 8J0 601 025 C

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea I made up my mind, going to buy some 19 inch rims, most likely silver ones since the Dakota gray is a pain to match with anything else other than silver hehe, thanks for the anwsers all ! :)

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I've recently moved from the OEM 18" TTS wheels to aftermarket 19" wheels.

The ride has definitely suffered slightly going to the larger wheels but they look much better, and being 3.6kgs lighter per corner over the OEM wheels they offer a genuine performance advantage.

Need to be careful if you are going for OEM 19" wheels as they are much heavier than a performance orientated aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Raffe said:
I've recently moved from the OEM 18" TTS wheels to aftermarket 19" wheels.

The ride has definitely suffered slightly going to the larger wheels but they look much better, and being 3.6kgs lighter per corner over the OEM wheels they offer a genuine performance advantage.

Need to be careful if you are going for OEM 19" wheels as they are much heavier than a performance orientated aftermarket wheels.
"Definitely suffered slightly" sounds significant. Have you noticed any road noise difference

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Tyre noise no worse, but ride is definitely firmer.

I have kept the same tyre width/rolling radius with the change in wheels so wouldn't expect there to be.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Raffe said:

I have kept the same tyre width/rolling radius with the change in wheels so wouldn't expect there to be.
Tyres on the 19"s are like rubber bands (well, in effect, I guess they all are) and there's very little, if any sidewall flex.
19"s to 17"s are like night and day so I imagine 18"s to 19"s to be noticeably firmer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea I do expect the ride to be quite a bit harder, my previous car was a Mini Cooper with aftermarket 17 inch rims with 215/40 R17 tyres the sidewall on that was 3.4" inches (86 mm), if I would go on 19 inch rims on the TT with 245/35 R19 tyres the sidewall would be the exact same, so I'm exprecting the ride to be quite similar, am I wrong in doing so ?

If the ride gets firmer I don't really mind, I'm just scared about more road noise at highway speeds, but from the previous post that doesn't seem to be the case that much?

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
All the tyre manufacturers have a db rating for their tyres so you can compare.

I have gone from Michelin PS4 245/40 R18 with 71db to GY F1 Supersport 245/35 R19 with 72db so in theory the new tyres should be louder but can't say I have noticed.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Minulon said:
... if I would go on 19 inch rims on the TT with 245/35 R19 tyres the sidewall would be the exact same, so I'm exprecting the ride to be quite similar, am I wrong in doing so ?
Not sure what the TT tyre is from factory but RS is:

255 30 20
255 35 19
245 40 18

Generally if the wheels the same width (7.5j, 8.5j, 9j etc) and you want to keep same rolling radius you drop 5 from the profile every inch you increase. So 18" wheel will come with a 40 profile tyre, 19" wheels with a 35 profile. So as your wheel diameter increases your sidewall height decreases to keep overall tyre diameter the same.

Use

https://www.willtheyfit.com/wheels/

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
255/35 R19 is the standard 19" OEM size, I kept the 245 as I am low on coilovers and this is actually closer to the 18" wheels rolling circumference than the 255.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea I have already done my research on all of this a while back, now my 245/45 R17 tyres have a circumference of 80.6" (2047mm), 245/35 R19 tyres have a circumference of 80.9" (2055mm).
The difference is neglectable (+ the diameter stays the same so will still look good in proportion to the car), used this site for all that https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I also went to a tyrecenter and they were going to sell me 245/45 R19 tyres which would be completely wrong, hence I'm doing all the research myself now haha :lol:

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
1,978 Posts
I posted this before, but worth bringing up again...

Stick to OEM rims or well-known / highly rated aftermarket companies (BBS, Enkei, OZ) even if they cost more.
Forged rims are preferable (but expensive) They are lighter and stronger (best choice for sports cars), but cast rims can be acceptable if made correctly.

Cheap / no-name brands are a liability. I personally know someone who rolled their car at freeway speed when one of his cheap knock-off rims shattered after hitting a pothole (forged rims typically bend on impact). Luckily he survived but his car was destroyed.

Nothing wrong with changing your rims to alter your car's look, but don't 'de-rate' your car's safety by replacing perfectly good factory rims for 'good-looking' crap. Form follows function.

Here is a quick read: http://speed.academy/why-wheel-manufacturing-method-load-rating-matter/

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Stiff said:
Raffe said:

Tyres on the 19"s are like rubber bands (well, in effect, I guess they all are) and there's very little, if any sidewall flex.
19"s to 17"s are like night and day so I imagine 18"s to 19"s to be noticeably firmer.
Not to me, ride has improve going from 18 to 19" and looks o much suited to a sports car.

Small wheels for pansies :lol:

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Minulon said:
Comfort vs looks is very subjective. But if you notice every bump in the road on 17s - on 19s you will notice there are actually 20x the number of bumps you thought there were :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Tyres on my 18" rims were 245/40/18 tyres on my 19 are 255/35/19

5mm less tyre wall width hasn't made any difference to my ride, in fact like I said feel ride improved due to better quality/construction of alloy wheels.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
carlsicesilverTT said:
Tyres on my 18" rims were 245/40/18 tyres on my 19 are 255/35/19

5mm less tyre wall width hasn't made any difference to my ride, in fact like I said feel ride improved due to better quality/construction of alloy wheels.
I think your slightly confused, the 40 & 35 in the tyre size refers to the aspect ratio (Height of the Tyre) and it's expressed as a percentage not in mm. Therefore the difference in height will be closer to 10mm.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts