Audi TT Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
No one is confused, like you said 5-10mm is nothing.

My new wheels have improved the ride, like I have said now many times the wheels must be of better quality than my previous Audi wheels.

Also, bigger wheels handle larger pot holes better, small wheels are more likely to drop right inside a hole, bigger wheels ride over top.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
carlsicesilverTT said:
My new wheels have improved the ride, like I have said now many times the wheels must be of better quality than my previous Audi wheels.
I would doubt very much that the 'quality' of wheels have anything do with it. Metals don't absorb impacts/vibrations etc in the same way that tyres do as tyres are made of rubber.

carlsicesilverTT said:
Also, bigger wheels handle larger pot holes better, small wheels are more likely to drop right inside a hole, bigger wheels ride over top.
No. No they don't. Larger wheels should have the same rolling radius as smaller ones but the smaller ones will have more 'rubber' to absorb any shocks.
You don't see too many Defender workhorses on 22" Overfinch alloys. For a reason.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Stiff said:
I would doubt very much that the 'quality' of wheels have anything do with it. Metals don't absorb impacts/vibrations etc in the same way that tyres do as tyres are made of rubber.

Larger wheels should have the same rolling radius as smaller ones but the smaller ones will have more 'rubber' to absorb any shocks.
You don't see too many Defender workhorses on 22" Overfinch alloys. For a reason.
Yes, I understand what your saying, I'm glad I found someone with brains was throwing a line out there hahah!

I will knock this on the head because its a major exaggeration to say the ride changes significantly when you change wheel size.

It is another one of those please the masses type thing motoring magazines write in articles and everyone one goes along with it. Most people have smaller wheels i.e 14-17" wheels on their cars so it pleases them.

In reality, larger wheels look nicer and have only marginally harsher ride than smaller wheels.

I still 100% feel the ride improved slightly after installing my new set of wheels though, I am very happy.

If your running 17" wheels with your tyres at 40 psi then the ride will be worse than 19" running tyres at 30psi.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here I'm, still looking for new rims [smiley=bigcry.gif]
I found some very nice ones for sale not far from me. It are 8.5J 19 inch rims with ET 43, currently there are 255/35 R19 tyres on there.
I'm really tempted to buy them since they look incredibe with the MK2 TT imo, I was looking around on forums to see if 8.5 rims with 255/35 would rub but found mixed anwsers.

Anyone on this thread has experience with 8.5J R19 with 255/35 tyres ?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The TT looks best with 9J rims, thats what come from factory in 18 and 19" sizes on facelift vehicles.

You want wheels that fill most of the wheel arch otherwise looks weak.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Minulon said:
I found some very nice ones for sale not far from me. It are 8.5J 19 inch rims with ET 43, currently there are 255/35 R19 tyres on there.
I'm really tempted to buy them since they look incredibe with the MK2 TT imo, I was looking around on forums to see if 8.5 rims with 255/35 would rub but found mixed anwsers.

These tyres will stick out just over 2mm more than the genuine Audi wheel combo. No problems.

The only things I'd be worried about is how bulbous a 255 section tyre looks on a 8j wheel. Ideally a 235 or a 245 tyre would be used. Not a safety issue tho to use a 255 just an aesthetic one. Also aftermarket (cheap) wheels are heavier and that'll affect acceleration and steering feel. That might be a side issue for you tho..

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Minulon said:

Where are you based? I have a spare set of OEM 19" Peelers that you could try on and see what you think of the ride and look.
I'm a few miles west of the Humber Bridge north bank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stiff said:
Minulon said:

Where are you based? I have a spare set of OEM 19" Peelers that you could try on and see what you think of the ride and look.
I'm a few miles west of the Humber Bridge north bank.
I'm all the way from Belgium so that won't be possible, not really any active forums out here, thanks anyway !

Funny thing is the rims I'm going to look at are OEM 19" Peelers :lol: So the quality in theory should be better than replica's I hope. For the price they are advertised I can buy a new set of replica's + tyres so still have to make a choice about OEM or new replica's

They look very good on the MK2 TT imo. My car is also dakota gray so this picture is pretty much exactly how it will look.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Doh! I've already asked you that earlier in the thread! I must keep up. My senile dementia is creeping in fast nowadays and I'm losing my way.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
gutsu said:
My old tt facelift with 255 35 19 wheels.8.5j
The key with the big wheels is to have the s line suspension or coilovers, on my facelift 2013 I have s-line suspension so its sets the wheels off better. Also only put on wheels manufactured by Audi designed for the TT MK2 otherwise with 19 or 20" could get wheel rub.

Just sold my old 18" wheels to a guy because his 19" wheels were rubbing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Here's the 17" oem look of my car :p
Thinking of getting some lighter 18s, seeing as the 17s are 8.5j what spec should I get in 18s? A lot are 18x8 but then I'd be looking at 235 tyres instead of 245.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good evening, I got the 19 Inch wheels + tyres on the car and I really do think the car sits fine on stock suspension!

19 inch peelers; 8.5J ET 43
Tyres; 255/35 R19 Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2

Don't have any decent pictures yet bacuse the weather really has been horrible lately. :?

EDIT: The ride quality difference from 17 to 19 really isn't that bad at all, only slightly harder over bumps

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quick wheel related question, does the TT have wheel bolts? Are they 60° tapered?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yes, bolts.

Any colour that floats your boat

M14x1.5mm Thread Length 28mm to Radius Seat, overall Length 52mm, Radius Seat type (R13) This Bolt uses a 17mm Socket/Wrench

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have Aurum gold OEM Y spoke 20" 9j forged wheels. Wrapped in nankang 255/30/20 and am looking to get my car lowered 30mm all round and was wondering if i will have any issues.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Cloud

61 - 80 of 85 Posts