Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I break in to a cold sweat waiting for my insurance renewal because of mods, it's got to the point now were it is taking the fun out of owning the car for me.

So I'm thinking of chopping in the 225 with all mods and getting a V6 for a change, question is will I regret it?

Cue V6 owners, and no not you Steve I know you've got a turbo :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Never owned a 1.8 (mine's a 3.2), but from what I've seen on here the insurance for a 3.2 isn't much different from a 1.8.

And if purchase price is an issue, 3.2s really aren't selling right now, so it's a buyer's market for those. (2001/2 1.8s seem to be selling for the price of a 2004 3.2.)

Don't know why, but the demand for 1.8s is possibly because purchasers are either assuming that 3.2 ownership will cost more, or maybe because they're worried about DSG problems. (If the DSG issue is putting you off, try getting a quote for a 1.8 clutch or turbo replacement!).

3.2 is the way to go in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Oh, and of course with a 3.2 you don't have to stuff it full of extras to make it go properly. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83,928 Posts
Have you tried shopping about for your insurance :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
Sickboy said:
...thinking of ...getting a V6 for a change, question is will I regret it?...
Dunno. Power delivery is, unsurprisingly, different. Suck it 'n' see. Not driven one myself - nor even been in one - but I can see the appeal. Try it; you'll know if it's for you or not.

And try getting some insurance quotes for a stock 3.2 so you've something to compare with. Might not be that different. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,637 Posts
I also have never owned a 1.8, I test drove a few 225's before a test drive in the V6 DSG, I was sold immediately, granted a year into ownership I had mech issues but as already said costs will be comparable for a clutch I the 1.8
You will need to declare mods on the 3.2 also, insurance group is 19 on the V6, I don't think there is much between them insurance wise or mpg wise unless you have a heave right foot

And of course you get the awesome growl thrown in!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove Steve Collier's V6 before he molested it and I enjoyed it, It's seems every year I'm confined to the same 2 or 3 insurance companies because I have mods. My insurance was the same as the TT when we had our E46 M3 :eek:
I really love the TT and so seems a good idea to change but not change if you know what I mean? And like you say the sound is lovely! Prices do seem good at the moment too with some tidy examples out there sub 60k miles!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,704 Posts
Both cars are great and I have owned a modded 225 , a BT QS and now my V6. The biggest difference is obviously the power delivery and the noise.Personally I find the V6 a more satisfying car for day to day use but the turbo car especially when modded can also deliver big thrills too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
nat11911 said:
Oh, and of course with a 3.2 you don't have to stuff it full of extras to make it go properly. :D
:lol:

It'd be funnier if it were true. From Parkers:

Model 0-60 mph Top Speed BHP

1.8 T quattro (225ps) 2d 6.4 secs 151 mph 221 bhp
3.2 V6 quattro 2d 6.3 secs 155 mph 246 bhp

PS: I spaced those columns out nicely, but looks like they got stripped off. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,514 Posts
Mondo said:
nat11911 said:
Oh, and of course with a 3.2 you don't have to stuff it full of extras to make it go properly. :D
:lol:

It'd be funnier if it were true. From Parkers:

Model 0-60 mph Top Speed BHP

1.8 T quattro (225ps) 2d 6.4 secs 151 mph 221 bhp
3.2 V6 quattro 2d 6.3 secs 155 mph 246 bhp

PS: I spaced those columns out nicely, but looks like they got stripped off. :?
Thanks fat bird you got there before me. As Neil says the power delivery is what makes it for me. Linked to the DSG its as smooth as butter on a slappers arse ( small bump here and there but nowt to concern)

BTW FB in the post reply box your formatting is intact hmmm.

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,647 Posts
neilc said:
Both cars are great and I have owned a modded 225 , a BT QS and now my V6. The biggest difference is obviously the power delivery and the noise.Personally I find the V6 a more satisfying car for day to day use but the turbo car especially when modded can also deliver big thrills too.
Neil my brother I love you but you have had the car 2 days so shutttttttup :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
Mondo said:
nat11911 said:
Oh, and of course with a 3.2 you don't have to stuff it full of extras to make it go properly. :D
:lol:

It'd be funnier if it were true. From Parkers:

Model 0-60 mph Top Speed BHP

1.8 T quattro (225ps) 2d 6.4 secs 151 mph 221 bhp
3.2 V6 quattro 2d 6.3 secs 155 mph 246 bhp

PS: I spaced those columns out nicely, but looks like they got stripped off. :?
I've seen various figures from the 225 being quicker and so on. I've been up against a 225 Stage 1 and there wasn't anything in it. It is largely dependant on what you want to do with the car. You buy the V6 knowing that you unless you are Steve, you aren't going to spend 1000s on it. Well I don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,704 Posts
jamman said:
neilc said:
Both cars are great and I have owned a modded 225 , a BT QS and now my V6. The biggest difference is obviously the power delivery and the noise.Personally I find the V6 a more satisfying car for day to day use but the turbo car especially when modded can also deliver big thrills too.
Neil my brother I love you [smiley=gossip.gif] but you have had the car 2 days so shutttttttup :lol:
:lol:

love you too
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
jamman said:
neilc said:
Both cars are great and I have owned a modded 225 , a BT QS and now my V6. The biggest difference is obviously the power delivery and the noise.Personally I find the V6 a more satisfying car for day to day use but the turbo car especially when modded can also deliver big thrills too.
Neil my brother I love you but you have had the car 2 days so shutttttttup :lol:
It only takes a minute to fall in love with the V6. :-* :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,647 Posts
If I was buying a coupe I would def consider a V6 they look great and perform reasonably well.

If I already had a 225 and had spent money on it I'm not so sure I would bother.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,704 Posts
jamman said:
If I was buying a coupe I would def consider a V6 they look great and perform reasonably well.

If I already had a 225 and had spent money on it I'm not so sure I would bother.
Well said cousin. You are right for most people that is probably the best thing to do for sure. Unless you are me and just cant stop yourself :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,053 Posts
neilc said:
jamman said:
If I was buying a coupe I would def consider a V6 they look great and perform reasonably well.

If I already had a 225 and had spent money on it I'm not so sure I would bother.
Well said cousin. You are right for most people that is probably the best thing to do for sure. Unless you are me and just cant stop yourself :lol:
Or the richest person on TTF so you buy what you want and then can spend huuuuuuuuuuuge amounts of mahoney on it :D
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top