Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps, I know the fuel to empty thing adjusts depending on how you drive but i've seen it being low like say 15 miles left after a good blast yet the fuel gauge still shows say just under 1/4 tank.

Now i'm more inclined to believe the Fuel guage for some reason, probably because it's better on my wallet! The Fuel light comes on around 1/4 tank and on the DIS it says 40 miles roughly.

Now I would add I don't actually think the display is misreading or broken.

Any advice?

·
Registered
18,698 Posts
My fuel light has only come on the once and I was well into the red, I average about 28-29mpg, a full tank provides around 420mls according to the DIS, have you tried resetting everything?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know what, I haven't. I'm actually just replying to your email Gordon! :eek:

Just use the reset button on the right stalk and start again? My Fuel gauge is sitting just under a 1/4 tank now so if I only had 15 miles to empty it would be in the Red surely!

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
has your dashpod ever been removed and taken apart???

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
gally said:
Not that I know of chap. It's on 68k and has full Audi service history.
just a thought as the needle may have been put back and been slightly out, I'll check my Bently manual to see if there are 2 fuel sender units, that would explain the difference, I'll get back to you.. 8)

·
Registered
18,698 Posts
Yeah at a quarter tank I'd expect anywhere between 70-100 mls to be left, if you only 15 it's either due to flooring it or a fault somewhere I'd guess, there is a post on here that Peterss did about resetting the mpg to get it accurate again, I'll see if I can find it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say at 1/4 tank it's reading 40 miles and the light would pop on. I feel like the Fuel gauge would be more accurate. Ie it's hardlined to the Tank. The DIS will use something else I imagine.

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
There are 2 fuel level sending units but thats as much as I could glee from the electrical schematics, but I would guess there would be one for the guage and one for the data system, but thats just a guess but would account for different outputs, sorry I cant be of more help. :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Gauge definitely more accurate for me, my DIS will say 420miles when I fill up, never had that out of it. Currently sitting at 35mpg average (225) on the DIS but it's not accurate, reads about 2mpg over the calculated figure. I have a phone app to record all vehicle costs (sad eh).

I don't rely on DIS on the basis that there's known faults with them

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
If you have or can get hold of vag-com you can do an output test on the pod needles. It will force them to known points which if they display incorrectly then you have trouble Houston! I know because my fuel gauge show well over full on full and 3/4 when on half tank. Need to check the needle placement sometime to see if I can resolve it. Or maybe a pod repair is pending [smiley=bigcry.gif]

@Gordon wow I must be having more fun than you as I average 25mpg max at the moment. Must be all the slipping into 's' mode. My mpg readout is over reading too! :eek:

Brian

·
Registered
18,698 Posts
Hey Brian, I have a crap route to drive to and from work so I tend to just plod along, gets the odd blast if the road and traffic allows! I'm not saying my read out is correct but that's what it shows!

And I'm no longer a young buck so I'm happy with the comfy armchair ride I get in D, S is a bit too much for the route I use and don't get me started in that launch control............

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I have Vagcom and the TT guide etc. just the cable I don't have so at least I can check it with Gordon's. Not desperate it only seems after a real blast that it misreads.

I'll organise something and see how I get on.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
gogs said:
Hey Brian, I have a crap route to drive to and from work so I tend to just plod along, gets the odd blast if the road and traffic allows! I'm not saying my read out is correct but that's what it shows!

And I'm no longer a young buck so I'm happy with the comfy armchair ride I get in D, S is a bit too much for the route I use and don't get me started in that launch control............
Ha Understand Gordon, crap route tend to depress the throttle foot on the old bones. Makes me want to fight back! Bet I'm older than you na na nee adaa :lol: :wink: :-*

We're having a buy three get one free underkek promotion in the supermarket I work for :D hint!

Brian

·
Registered
18,698 Posts
Tritium said:
gogs said:

Ha Understand Gordon, crap route tend to depress the throttle foot on the old bones. Makes me want to fight back! Bet I'm older than you na na nee adaa :lol: :wink: :-*

We're having a buy three get one free underkek promotion in the supermarket I work for :D hint!

Brian
Ha ha, yeah it's all down to the old bones! I turned 40 last year mate and god it's been downhill since! Victor Meldrew move over!...

Put me down for a dozen of those promotional offers...............

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
gogs said:
Ha ha, yeah it's all down to the old bones! I turned 40 last year mate and god it's been downhill since! Victor Meldrew move over!...

Put me down for a dozen of those promotional offers...............
Hmm think I can give you nearly 50% on top of 40 :oops: I guess my driving has become: " we'll kid you've got more years behind you than infront so might as well do similar with scenary miles :lol:
Silly ole buffer!

What size underkeks mate: 52 waist? - with plenty of er, rear 'fill' room....For those 's' mode moments... :lol: :lol:

Brian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.