Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my mate took his TT down to get the Cambelt, water pump and tensioner done today at Mr Clutch in Swindon....The guy said it will be £279 for the belt kit inc fitting and then told us the waterpump will be £95 and also another £118 for the hydrolic tensioner.

As I've recently had mine done I knew straight away these prices were a little steep to say the least. I asked the guy who his supplier was and he told me Euro Carparts. Whilst we were waiting for the car I called Euro's to see how much the parts would cost if I just walked in off the street and bought them.......£34.99 for the tensions and £35.99 for the waterpump!

When we picked thecar up I questioned this and the guy at Mr Clutch told me that they payed even less for the parts as they get a trade discount!!

How the hell can the buy a waterpump for under £35 and charge the customer £95 for it and the same for the tensioner!!!!

No wonder people are skint!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
neilc said:
Please tell me you didnt let them go through with the job then :?:
Exactly what i was going to say.

Mr Clutch are one of the worst company's ive come acrross in my whole driving life, (yeah sue me if they want for that comment) and thats been 23 years now, yeah there is some very happy customers,but more un-happy.
They constantly fit cheap (very cheap) parts but charge expensive and thier workmanship is almost as bad as Quick fits (yeah they can sue me too, join the que)
Mr Clutch, Quick fit, Techniclutch are just afew i wouldnt do any business with regardless, i hope you got a cast iron warrantee with that work i more so hope you never have to try and claim against it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I told my mate to ring them straight away and put his car back together and we'l go elsewhere but he just wanted it done. They tried blaming the "system" for the prices and offered a £25 discount! A letter of complaint has gone off to their head office alone with a copy of the invoice and also prices from Euros for the parts

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
TT Stu-82 said:
I told my mate to ring them straight away and put his car back together and we'l go elsewhere but he just wanted it done. They tried blaming the "system" for the prices and offered a £25 discount! A letter of complaint has gone off to their head office alone with a copy of the invoice and also prices from Euros for the parts
This is the exact reason they do it mate, because people are plain stupid and pay anyway! Sending a letter of complaint off just proves even more stupidity, you bothered to do some homework found it all cheaper and still went there for it hahahahahaha

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
TT Stu-82 said:
Seriousely, you havent a prayer.
The fact they quoted you (your mate) and you took thier price will be simply be down to you.

Lets put it this way if you had got a quote for the work all inclusive for £300 then got a second quote at £500 and you picked the cheaper quote then who saved £200? your mate,Great...but its the other way round on this occasion, so the owness will simply lie on the person who had the work done and where he took the car for the work to be done.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stupid indeed. Just thought I'd share this with you all and warn you all off these Mickey Mouse bunch of cowboys

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
TT Stu-82 said:
How the hell can the buy a waterpump for under £35 and charge the customer £95 for it and the same for the tensioner!!!!
1. Blatant cheek.
2. What "the market will stand" plus the old chestnut reassuringly expensive.
3. Ignorance in the public at large.
4. Preying on the fact like bank accounts we don't shop around.

Good for you questioning it! Although as said a quote is a quote. Advertising the fact its not acceptable can only help - albeit not much in isolation.

Brian

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Fully understand the concern on parts prices mark up but unfortunately this happens in all trade's be it a plumber , carpenter, mechanic , general builder etc .

Prices charged to the customer are retail costs . the plumber etc buy at a reduced cost to the trade.

I know annoying but this is often how it works but is not seen by the customer .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts