Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just curious if the my TT with be able to sit on 20" wheels? I'm about to order the oettinger kit for my car but wondering if my car with the MR will be able to support the 20" wheels.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
876 Posts
yungy said:
hey guys just curious if the my TT with be able to sit on 20" wheels? I'm about to order the oettinger kit for my car but wondering if my car with the MR will be able to support the 20" wheels.

any thoughts?
You going to feel your lungs bouncing around inside your body :p

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
To maintain the same relative body to wheel positions for the MR sensors, you'd have to keep the the same circumference for the tyre/wheel combination. This means you would have to mount 255/30/20" tyres on your 20" wheels to keep to the 2076.9mm circumference of the stock fitments (based on the 19" RS4's). The Oettinger 20" tyre fitment is 245/30/20 which yield a circumference 1.9 cm smaller than the stock tyre/wheel combo. That makes for a mighty thin sidewall.....you hit a pothole or curb at even 30 kph and you're going to need a new wheel :eek:

Presumably there is some tolerance in the MR system...but I have no idea what it would be. I would suspect in the end that if would have little to no effect since it is unlikely that an appropriate 20" tyre would change the circumference much.

Lowering springs on the other hand....now that's a matter of some debate. :wink:

·
Registered
425 Posts
What does MR care about wheel diameter (+ or -). Wheel diameter just makes the car sit higher or low of the ground. It doesn't change suspension geometry/angles.

Phil

Singletrack said:
To maintain the same relative body to wheel positions for the MR sensors, you'd have to keep the the same circumference for the tyre/wheel combination. This means you would have to mount 255/30/20" tyres on your 20" wheels to keep to the 2076.9mm circumference of the stock fitments (based on the 19" RS4's). The Oettinger 20" tyre fitment is 245/30/20 which yield a circumference 1.9 cm smaller than the stock tyre/wheel combo. That makes for a mighty thin sidewall.....you hit a pothole or curb at even 30 kph and you're going to need a new wheel :eek:

Presumably there is some tolerance in the MR system...but I have no idea what it would be. I would suspect in the end that if would have little to no effect since it is unlikely that an appropriate 20" tyre would change the circumference much.

Lowering springs on the other hand....now that's a matter of some debate. :wink:

·
Registered
878 Posts
TTSFan said:
yungy said:

any thoughts?
You going to feel your lungs bouncing around inside your body :p
I agree, I think that 20" could be pushing it a bit too far.
Oohh err missus :oops:

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
I think 20's will look fine I have seen them on a few MK II's and look ok, I remember when 19's were frowned upon and still are on here to some extent. I have run 19's for about five years on various cars with no detriment to the ride or suffered any pot hole damage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.