Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I come back from holiday to find a note from my neighbour to check my car. To discover half of the cars paint is damaged from what appears to be FRP that has been sprayed over it and because it has not been noticed its badly marked the paint. Its seems 4 cars were hit and all have the same results. The only god send is I had paint protection which has stopped it burning to deep.

Below are a couple of pictures - it looks a bit like water marks but its much deeper and it is over at least half of the car.

So I sent the car off to Gemcleandetailing who after 4 days of working solidly on the paint finally got it back to new. This is the full process they used which was a full correction and then C1 protection coat.

• Bottom half of the car is degreased and left to dwell.[/*]
  • Door shuts are degrease and cleaned via detailing brushes.[/*]
  • Arches are degreased, cleaned and rinsed.[/*]
  • Wheels are cleaned using non acidic citrus gel cleaner and cleaned using various wheel brushes.[/*]
  • Car is then treated to a snow foam bath.[/*]
  • Car is treated for tar deposits.[/*]
  • All badges, grilles and vents cleaned via detailing brushes.[/*]
  • Car is then rinsed.[/*]
  • Car is then washed using a PH neutral shampoo using the two bucket method.[/*]
  • Car is then treated to clay bar treatment to remove oxidations and contaminates. This includes paint, glass and wheels.[/*]
  • Car is further treated for caustic compounds in the paint via a cleaner fluid.[/*]
  • Car is then rewashed using a PH neutral shampoo using the two bucket method.[/*]
  • Car is rinsed for the second time.[/*]
  • Car is completely dried using warm air blower, 70/30 drying towels and drying aid solution.[/*]
  • Car is then masked up to cover badges, vents, lights, exterior trims and door gaps.[/*]
  • Paint is then measured via a paint depth gauge.[/*]
  • Paint is then corrected using various compounds and pads to remove paint defects.[/*]
  • Paint is then burnished using polishes and finishing pads to remove micro marring and bring gloss, depth and clarity to the paint.[/*]
  • Paint then has an IPA wipe down to remove left over polish oils and inspected.[/*]
  • A pre wax cleaner is applied to give a perfect surface for protection to be applied to.[/*]
  • C1 clear coat protection.[/*]
  • Windows are polished inside and out.[/*]
  • Exterior plastics dressed and resealed.[/*]
  • rubber seals are resealed to prevent wear.[/*]
  • Wheels are then treated with a pre wax cleaner.[/*]
  • Wheels are then applied with 2 coats of wheel wax.[/*]
  • Tyres are dressed to a matte finish.[/*]
  • Exhaust tips are polished.[/*]
  • Final Inspection body wipe down with spray sealant.[/*]

below are a few pics of the process

snow foam

IPA wipe down

Correction and polish. some elements even required a wet sand.

Compound correction example

The finished results - which make the car look better than when I picked it up from the show room.

I have to say I was blown away by the results achieved by mike who said it was one of the hardest corrections he has ever had to do.

At least the cars looking its best for Wilton House on sunday!

·
Registered
83,928 Posts
Fantastic results did they get the twats who did the damage :?:

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Sorry but there are a lot of sad brainless jealous twats about. Car looks great now :p

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
whats FRP ?

great results by the way, really good.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys I may have my terminology wrong FRP is the stuff rubbish car cleaners use on your wheels. We are not certain of this but the burns look very similar.

My car had a full correction and also a c1 protection coat again (for reference the protection coat is what saved me needing a respray) the cost was £800. And I think it was worth every penny as the photos do not do justice to how bad the damage was on the car. In total they spent 40 hours solid working on the car.

My next door neighbour who has a boxster has not been so lucky his bill is into the 1000's as his replacing the roof cover as it has off white marks covering it that simp,y can't be removed.

Why people do this I have no idea.

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
But that means they WENT out to damage cars in the first place....and not only that its not like it was a small amount of stuff used.

Looks like they have washed the car in the stuff.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
That's just appalling. At least yours was correctable. Unfortunately, there have always been vandals and there probably always will be. When they are at home, my cars are always locked up in the garage but when I'm working away I always have a sense of concern that something like this could happen. Envy is a dreadfully destructive thing and people do seem to resent it when others have nicer things than they do, irrespective of how hard earned those things might be.

Anyway, I'm glad yours is back in good shape again.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I know how it feels when your P&J gets damaged by some senseless idiots but glad it could get sorted.

A bit off topic but I do really like how the new A5 looks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts