Audi TT Forum banner
141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Not the most interesting update but I swapped my fog light bulbs with some whiter ones that better match the LED DRLs when the coming/leaving home lights are active

In these photos I had swapped only the right side for comparison:

Water Atmosphere Photograph Light Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Less hassle than LEDs and the fading still works when unlocking and when the cornering lights are active. I used Philips WhiteVision ultra H11

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Another small lighting update, this time for the LED number plate lights. I came across a newer part number than the ones originally fitted to facelift MK2 - original info here My Phantom Black V6 Thread

I tried them out of curiosity. They have a more complicated lens and one LED rather than two, but the overall brightness is about the same, as is the colour temperature. So no gain in fitting them if you already have LEDs, but it is another option for those looking to retrofit them. I have left them fitted purely because they are "newer", and are still fitted to some current models 🤷‍♂️

TT factory part on the left of all photos - 4G0 943 021 / A
Newer part on the right - 5NA 943 021

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rectangle Automotive tire Grey

Rectangle Automotive lighting Grey Automotive exterior Font

Rectangle Grey Font Technology Electric blue

I looks dimmer in this photo but in reality it isn't, it is just the way the photo came out:

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

Reactions: CurryMan and IPG3.6

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
How to: adjust delay of convenience folding wing mirrors

In my original post here I coded the door modules to enable 'convenience folding' for the wing mirrors. This is a useful feature but I always felt that you had to hold down the lock button on the fob for a bit too long. However, I came across this post on another forum.

I had to wait until I had retrofitted the BCM in order to give it a try, and I can confirm it works on the TT BCM (haven't tried all revisions of course but I have tried B and R).

As with before, this is a direct EEPROM edit and VCP is required as VCDS does not have this ability.

The steps are similar to before:
  1. Firstly, open door module 09 and switch it to 'Engineer mode' with the dropdown in the bottom left
  2. Then press 'Sec. Access' on the right and use code 42013 which should be accepted. Then press 'Up/Download' on the right which will open the EEPROM editor
  3. It is advisable to now take a backup of your current coding. Enter 42013 as the 'Login', 0 as the 'Address' and 4096 as the 'Size' and then press the blue read button
  4. Use file > save as, like normal, and give it a .hex file extension. Various free tools are compatible with this, eg I use Hex Fiend on my Mac
  5. The next stage is to read the specific bytes we are interested in, which is 1120, 1121 and 1122. To make it clearer, change the address to 1120 and the size to 3 and re-read:
    Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

6. Now to decide what to change the values to. FF is the original which defaults to 2 seconds, but for other values you need to do the following:
    1. Decide how many milliseconds you want until the mirrors fold and the windows shut. This also affects opening the windows when holding unlock (but does not unfold the mirrors). The number of milliseconds must be divisible by 10
    2. Divide by 100, eg: 1 second == 1000ms/100=10
    3. Convert to base 16. Online calculators can do this for you if you get stuck, or Windows and Mac built in calculators both have a programmers function, eg: 10 == 0A
  7. Now this needs to be saved back to your module. Highlight the first two characters and change them to your new hexadecimal coding. If you don't highlight them before typing, you may end up adding extra bytes to the string. If you make any mistakes, just close the window and re-open and read it again
  8. Repeat for all three occurrences, setting them all to be the same
  9. Double check your values, and then press the red save button. This will rewrite the coding to the module, and hopefully you will see a success message at the bottom of the window. All being well, you are now done, so close all the windows, disconnect the VCP cable etc and try out your handiwork
I had mine set to 1 second for a while but found that if you were a bit slow when double unlocking the car, that I mistakenly opened the windows a little. I have now changed it to 1.1 seconds to see how that goes. It is mostly a case of experimenting to see what works best for you.

I will try and get a video at some point to demonstrate this.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I was at GTI Spring Fest yesterday and couldn't resist taking the TT on the drag strip. I ended up doing 4 sprints, my best time was 14.45 seconds @ 94.69mph. Unfortunately I was never up against anything too similar, was hoping for another TT or an R32 Golf

Vehicle Wheel Tire Car Hood

·
Premium Member
2007 3.2 VR6 DSG Quattro Coupe
726 Posts
I was at GTI Spring Fest yesterday and couldn't resist taking the TT on the drag strip. I ended up doing 4 sprints, my best time was 14.45 seconds @ 94.69mph. Unfortunately I was never up against anything too similar, was hoping for another TT or an R32 Golf

View attachment 484945
I've woken up to a sunburnt face today and had a good day my next visit I intend to run mine. It's not going to break any records except to put a big grin on my face like the one clearly in this photo. I will hook up with you so we can do some runs if you like at a later date won't be much in it really except the smile points. You did well on the other bit also when you consider the heavy lump in the front and the DSG box for the garage part. Do wish I had done the service that I've had lined up for Easter weekend earlier instead but never mind. Let me know if you are up for going again sometime and we can sort something out.

·
Registered
TT Mk2 VR6 3.6L & TT Mk1 1.8t Frankenturbo
2,127 Posts

View attachment 484945
Oooh nice one!

Hope you were launching it each and every time!!

Oh yeah and spoiler up. I found that helped with my times.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Thanks both, yep such good fun, just in very limited bursts. Track days are more my thing but I like to mix things up a bit. Granted the 3.2 TT isn't really a drag weapon, but the AWD traction and DSG shift times certainly help

Would definitely be up for another visit and would be a fun challenge against you Nidana as it would be all down to reaction times and the launch

And of course I used launch control :D it worked very well 3 out of 4 runs. The one it didn't I suspect the gearbox wasn't up to temperature. The downside being that you have no idea on what that actually is until you try, and it was tugging on the brakes when I tried, but the car was staged so too late to try again. Annoyingly in that run my reaction time was my best, so combined with my best run I'd be a lot closer to 14 seconds

Didn't use the spoiler but I guess it came up by itself towards the end of the run. Every little helps eh?!

Reactions: IPG3.6

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
GTI fest has another Sunday in October on the 2nd other than the german day in august so can plan for either if you like.

·
Registered
TT Mk2 VR6 3.6L & TT Mk1 1.8t Frankenturbo
2,127 Posts
And of course I used launch control :D it worked very well 3 out of 4 runs.
I also found this to be the case where launch wouldn't "activate" each time. Do you remember what RPM yours sits at for launch? Mines just above 3k....

Looking forward to the Nidana vs MT-V6 runs!!! hehe

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
I also found this to be the case where launch wouldn't "activate" each time. Do you remember what RPM yours sits at for launch? Mines just above 3k....
Sorry I forgot to reply to this. Yes about the same as mine then, can't remember if it was 3000 or 3500 :unsure:

I have fitted LED front indicator bulbs. I like the instant on/off flashing but was always put off by bulb errors/resistors etc. However I came across a nice set by Philips. They do actually come with resistor modules but it turns out they are not needed which is nice. Quick video to show the comparison between the original and the LED

They are Philips 11498XUAXM for anyone interested. Note that the PY21W fitment is specific to the LED DRL xenons variation of the headlights

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Cheers MT-V6 have these fitted as of yesterday. Shame I have taken the dynamic mirror repeaters out but just was not happy about the fitment they will have looked good together.

·
Registered
2008 TTS
1,561 Posts
Sorry I forgot to reply to this. Yes about the same as mine then, can't remember if it was 3000 or 3500 :unsure:

I have fitted LED front indicator bulbs. I like the instant on/off flashing but was always put off by bulb errors/resistors etc. However I came across a nice set by Philips. They do actually come with resistor modules but it turns out they are not needed which is nice. Quick video to show the comparison between the original and the LED

They are Philips 11498XUAXM for anyone interested. Note that the PY21W fitment is specific to the LED DRL xenons variation of the headlights
It's the small details which make it.
To most I guess this would be no difference, but as you I really like the crispness
Another item to add to the need to purchase list

·
Premium Member
TTS 2010 8J sprint blue CDL
230 Posts

Kudos to your assistant. Unless it was you that stood in the rain while they sat in the car...
I know what mine would say if I said I want a video of my car indicators 😠

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Haha, it was me in the rain, though it was barely spitting, the dazzle from the lights made it look worse in the video

·
Registered
943 Posts
Not the most interesting update but I swapped my fog light bulbs with some whiter ones that better match the LED DRLs when the coming/leaving home lights are active

In these photos I had swapped only the right side for comparison:

View attachment 484170

View attachment 484172

Less hassle than LEDs and the fading still works when unlocking and when the cornering lights are active. I used Philips WhiteVision ultra H11
I've always wanted to change my fogs to something more matching the xenon lamps, even going back to 2013 when I got the A3 with them (my previous A3 didn't have xenons). But, I never did, lol. The main reason being...basically never use the fogs because they are manual. Unlike other cars I've had with auto headlights in the past, the fogs were able to be set and left so whenever the headlights came on, the fogs would come on. (Note it is perfectly legal to run fog lights when there is no fog/rain where I live, but I know this varies depending on where one is in the world.) But not so with VAG cars, you can't combine auto and fogs in any way--I even fooled around with every coding option I thought might do it but nope.

Also on A3s with halogens (like my previous one) the fogs are used as DRL, but with the LED DRL there is also no way to use the fogs [additionally] as DRL, at least not that I found. I think it's stupid they can't both be used as DRL stupid given it does use both for CH/LH. I had once thought about just wiring up the fogs on relays to be on all the time, whenever the car was on (and back in the car's control when ignition is off)--that will fix this coding nonsense! lol But then I thought with all the complicated electronics and stuff that was just gonna net me some stupid error codes or whatever, so I axed that idea.

On the A3 I did enable fog as cornering light because I don't have AFS on that car; but, TBH it barely does anything anyway.

So ends up I only ever bother to use the fogs when I'm driving at night and it's raining or foggy, which isn't all that often. They are used for CH/LH though and every once in a while I get the inkling to buy LED fogs, but then there's just so many different ones out there, I just don't feel on researching what's what and what I should buy :LOL: Nice to see there are some standard halogen alternatives as well.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Honestly I only bought them for the CH LH lights, rarely do we ever get enough fog for them to be worthwhile and even when we do they are pretty useless to be honest. I enabled them for cornering lights just because I could, though again I rarely manoeuvre somewhere so dark for them to be useful

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,348 Posts
TT'sRevenge said:
snip-> every once in a while I get the inkling to buy LED fogs, but then there's just so many different ones out there, I just don't feel on researching what's what and what I should buy :LOL: Nice to see there are some standard halogen alternatives as well.
Another option, (albeit a bit expensive) is bi-colored LEDs.
Switch from yellow (3000k) to bright white (5500k) or both for a pseudo-halogen look (4300k) by cycling your fog switch on / off / on. You can also get them with a strobe-effect (for emergencies?) but I opted for a set without the strobe figuring I'd be more likely to get in trouble with the law.

See:

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Some minor bits and pieces I've done recently.

Firstly I have had missing and bent lambda wiring clips for ages. The wires were hanging low and in places were cable tied. Some clips were completely missing and some were loose due to rust. This might be helpful for others, as the parts catalogue diagram isn't very clear. This will different for different engines/exhaust of course

Light Automotive tire Automotive design Tread Line

Next I painted a few brackets just to tidy things up, including this brace bar in the engine bay

Before:
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

After (the type of bolt also changed, maybe due to the spline type holding water and rusting?)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood Vehicle

I also did the front brake line brackets after noticing how shabby they looked against the new Bilsteins (more on that to come)

Human body Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Electric blue

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas

141 - 160 of 172 Posts