Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's worth logging just what my TT means to me, after 3 years and 37,500 miles, as it is, by some margin and in many ways, the best car I have had in 45 years of driving. It's often said that the problems related here show our car in an unfair way, since few come on here for any other reason, so here's some praise for a great car - the TT.

The most impressive thing about the car, comparing with my previous Golfs etc, is that there are still no rattles or squeaks from anywhere. The car still feels as solid and well built as that Saturday morning, 3 years back, when I picked it up. The cabin is, to use that old cliché, a nice place to be; comfortable, classy and with all the controls in the right place.

I have had just 2 reasons to complain to Audi. The first was corrosion of the chromed tail pipes, which happened after the first, admittedly rather bad, winter of 2009-10. This required the replacement of the whole back box, as the pipes are integral, rather than add on accessory tips. Audi did this without question and the second set have faired better, but still with some corrosion after 2 winters. Stainless tips would be a more durable option, I feel.

The second was a noise from the steering at low speeds, which I believed was the rack. I delayed getting this attended to, as I was reluctant to have the car dismantled for something which did not seem to cause any issues, other than the noise. Turned out, when I did get Audi Lincoln to check it out, that the cause was just a lack of lubrication, which, once sorted, cured the noise and also made the feel of the steering much smoother and "connected". Wish I'd flagged that earlier!

Fuel consumption, which was never a priority for me, even making the change from a 45mpg diesel Golf, ramped up from an initial 30'ish to an OK 32.5mpg. I reckon this is pretty good, considering that the majority of my mileage is my weekly cross country commute between Scarborough and Lincoln, which gives me ample opportunity to misbehave! Each trip gives me a heap of enjoyment - almost makes working away from home worthwhile!

The car still looks fantastic. The Monza Silver paint finish is excellent and has weathered well, with no swirl marks, although I have picked up a number of stone chips in all the usual places. Protective vinyl next time I think. The Titanium 19s, which are very much a highlight of the car, are still in remarkably good order. I have picked up a couple of stone chips on them, but no kerb marks, and they have no corrosion at all. My last Golf wheels lasted barely 12 months before the dreaded worm attacked. I was on my third set by the time that car was 3 years old!

I haven't made too many changes to the car, as yet. IMO, there's not much that needs doing. Better headlight bulbs, a space-saver spare wheel, satin black brake callipers and a retro-fitted RNS-E satnav covers it.

You all know the best thing about the TT - it's that sublime shape that's makes you grin every time you see it. I still love just looking at my Monza Silver beauty, even after 3 years, so, for now anyway, it's staying. Maybe a gloss black roof and mirrors and maybe a remap, to 'shake the bottle', but, just as it is, it's a brilliant motor and I love it to bits! :)

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Excellent stuff. I am just 10 days into new ownership but having previously owned a 2003 Mark 1 for 2 years its just nice not to have to worry about what problems might await you each time you drive the car!! :D

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Excellent stuff. I am just 10 days into new ownership but having owned a 2003 Mark 1 for 2yrs its just great to be able to get in the car without worrying what might go wrong and what it might cost!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Great post Roger, and without trying to 'cliche' , those are my feelings too. Two years and 40k miles and it's the best car 'all round' I've ever had in 40 + years or driving

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
igotone said:
Should some of you old farts be driving a TT? :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I've only been driving 26 years so I'll class myself as one of the younguns!! :) Of course for many of us, especially those who have children at a young age, a TT and most certainly a new TT is not an option until the onset of the 'mid-life crisis' years!! :D :p :wink:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I've enjoyed mine - especially the looks but time for a change and need something a bit more practical for work!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I dont have 45 years of driving! but in my recent driving experience.....

I had one of the Mark 1 225 roadsters, loved it. Went over to a M4 Coupe, great car but felt cheap compared to the TT. Then changed it for a A4 cab final edition. Loved being back in audi quality, but missed the thrill of a TT, so then swapped it for a TT Mk2 TDi Roadster. I am now trying a TT TDi Coupe, and the TT has to be one of the best coupes around. Love it!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts