Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is a new one...

The car has been fine for months, despite a slight annoyance with the fan controller but thats besides the point.

Anyway, saturday i was driving along for all of about 2 mins and all of a sudden the car just literally died.

The traction light came on and the car slumped as if it had run out of fuel (it has a FULL tank), the rev counter dropped, the accelerator had no affect and the steering became heavy.

I changed down through the gears and it made the usual sound as the engine was clearly running, but just slowing down.

I turned off the ignition and pressed the clutch to freewheel to a safe part of the road to stop.

The car would not start

literally no more than the sound of the starter motor, no firing, just turning over, but not even a splutter of ignition.

i got towed home and tried bumping starting it as i went a few times, did the same as when i was changing down.

Still nothing..

Got home, still dead, read a few forums, not much help.

disconnected the MAF, tried to start, nothing so plugged it back in and gave up.

Then about an hour later, i just tried it again and it fired up straight away!!!!

Never come across something so odd and unpredictable as now i cant drive it anywhere as i dont trust it not to happen again.

I really dont know where to start

any ideas?

2000 TT 8n 225 roadster

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the crash sensor cutting in, thinking you've had a crash and cutting the fuel. As always, the best advice is to get a vagcom scan to see if any fault codes show up. If you give your rough location, there may be a forum member near you with vagcom who can scan your TT for you.

edit; sorry, just noticed you're in Bucks. Anyone?

:)

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,342 Posts
Hi Ben,1st thing is get a VagCom scan done to see what faults are there.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Possible crank (engine) speed sensor issue - symptoms look similar i.e turning over & no firing
Get it scanned - should determine if its the above

16706/P0322/000802 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal
Possible Symptoms

Engine shuts off
Engine doesn't start
Speedometer inoperative
Glow Plug Indicator Lamp (K29) flashes

Possible Causes

Engine Speed Sensor (G28) loose
Engine Speed Sensor (G28) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

Special Notes

The Engine Speed Sensor (G28) is also used as a reference sensor for the crankshaft position

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Have you checked your battery connections are tight? Had a very similar thing happen to me some time ago; turned out that the connections had become loose (through this it transpired that I also had the wrong battery :roll: ). It's something easy to try anyway, and then if the connections are tight, you can rule that out and move onto something more complex.

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Hey Ben,
I don't have a clue although I can scan it for you. Unfortunately I'm an hour~hour 'n' half away, but there must be a forum member nearer with VCDS/VagCom. Oh and I won't charge you sixty quid for the privilege! :roll:

What Audi charged me once :evil: although I have got a scan for free from another dealer but only 'cos I insisted first I wouldn't pay. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately my friend who has vag-com is in germany at some mk1 golf show so hasnt been able to pop round and i REFUSE to pay my local stealer the luxury!

However, I'm getting the gyst that its probably the crank sensor or other sources suggest an immobiliser problem, but I have now discovered something new within the same problem as today it is failing to start again. luckily i am already parked at home this time.

Now, traditionally if i turned the key to the first position, ie before the ignition actually starts but with al the dash lights on, you could always hear a kind of high pitched constant beep or buzz kind of thing.. hard to describe but a typically electrical sounding noise from somewhere in the midst of the engine. Its always done it, does it on two of my friends TT's as well so I have always assumed its something normal.. Any ideas what that is by the way?

But now that the car is refusing to start, this noise has dissapeard and the engine bay is silent with the key at this position.

Coincidence or a handy pointer to the problem i wonder?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The buzz you normally hear will be the fuel pump priming, I also noticed this wasn't audible when I had issue with Crank Speed Sensor.
It may be the same issue - but get it scanned before buying parts on a hunch, you can get the cable for yourself for under a tenner off ebay which will scan for faults

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay, so a bought a basic cable off ebay and downloaded the "lite" version of VCDS, managed to get it to run and when running the Autoscan it stops after about 3-4 mins with the following;

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V004
Coding: 18446
Shop #: WSC 06435
VCID: 3E0FBDFB2979
1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
49-00 - No Communications

If i go to the inidividual module tests it reports "no communication" with anything engine related, and exactly the same message when testing the ABS / braking controller.

Im COMPLETELY novice at this but a non-communicating ECM doesnt sound too good to me, although im pretty confused by it stopping at the ABS controller.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,342 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no other faults reported full stop

just what i posted above on autoscan

im assuming im using the software correctly

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whitty said:
Are you running to scan with the ignition on but not running?
Correct

Ignition on but not running (mainly as it won't start!!)

I can test various controllers (haldex, abs, instruments etc) and it will
Communicate and give me the relevant info / groups to measure. But anything related
To the engine simply comes up as "cannot communicate with controller" or the aforementioned codes relating to abs etc

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i wouldnt know where to start to be honest, as i say, im a real novice.. not even sure my ultra-basic version of the software will even let me!!! lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts