Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am employed at the moment but havent been able to return after motorbike accident. So 10 months down the line, money is extremely tight and if I dont get back to work soon I dont think I ever will :wink:

My trouble is that all i have ever really done is work for motor parts companys, I worked for 5 years for Motorspares where I started at the bottom and in a year i was assistant manager, then cover manager, then branch manager for the last 3 years.
Then I left and moved to Euro car parts but was only there for 3 weeks before my accident, I was just a parts advisor but the money was good and I was closer to home.

But its still a 40 minute drive and around 50 hours a week, I would prefer a 40 hour week to get back into work again and I would like to find something local so I dont have an hour and a half driving each day.

So my question is really what employment idea's does anyone have, cant do much in the way of lifting heavy stuff as i still have to use a walking stick, but other than that im 22, 11 gcse's A-C, managerial experience, telesales, very computer literate (no specific qualification though :?), I have very good communication skills and people skills, I am very good with numbers and money, would prefer to work with people but can work on my own, would happily work from home, office or shop, would happily do a driving job.

Clacton is quite big and the town has plenty of banks, estate agentcies and a few retail parks and I am willing to give anything a go.

So does anyone have any ideas, I am starting to get extremely bored :-|

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking that, dont think they would appreciate the fact i am as able bodied as a 70 year old :roll:

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
teacher / social work ?? :idea: :idea:
tho having read some of your rants and " flames " i expect you would be going to work with a shotgun !!!!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol: :lol: I dont think teaching would by my thing apart from P.E and social worker, to be honest the whole system is so floored that i wouldnt be able to do it, they do a great job but the legistlation they have to abide by is beyond ridiculous :?
I would still like to do something security based even if it was a cctv operator or something, i would love to do that infact :)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what?????? you are a complete KNOB [smiley=argue.gif]

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'd be surprised if you didn't find security work mind-numbing. I don't know anything about your injuries or disabilities, but would sitting on your arse all day just looking at screens really be a good idea? Would you not be better trying to keep yourself as mobile as you possibly can?

Something in the public sector might not be a bad idea. Turn your disability into an advantage. All public sector organisations are falling over themselves giving jobs to disabled people so that they can meet their PC targets, and someone with a mobility problem that's not serious enough to oblige them to make loads of expensive access changes to the workplace is an absolute God-send! There's so much to choose from in so many different sectors - I'm sure there'll be something in there to interest you.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
denimblue225turbo said:
:lol: :lol: I dont think teaching would by my thing apart from P.E and social worker, to be honest the whole system is so floored that i wouldnt be able to do it, they do a great job but the legistlation they have to abide by is beyond ridiculous :?
I would still like to do something security based even if it was a cctv operator or something, i would love to do that infact :)
ive done the CCTV thing even more legislation there, too costly in some places i believe they are being turned off
, anyway sooo booooring i would sooner count washers :lol: :lol: :lol:
......i wish you good luck in the hubt

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
bella_beetle2.0 said:
and perv...!
ive done it and its OK for about a week and then there is NOTHING you havnt seen and do not want to see again,
watching human beings when they do not know it is NOT pleasant, needless to say i have never watched Big Brother

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well to be honest i wanted to join the police force, i applied as a special but 2 weeks after my application went in i had my accident so that went down the drain. I would still like to do something within the police if it was possible but im not sure what is available, basically got hit by a car smashed my left leg and knee so now i have trouble walking but its getting better everyweek with physio, its never going to be normal and strong enough to do any physical activity but hopefully i will be able to walk as near as normal as possible without walking aids :)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mikeat45 said:
bella_beetle2.0 said:
and perv...!
ive done it and its OK for about a week and then there is NOTHING you havnt seen and do not want to see again,
watching human beings when they do not know it is NOT pleasant, needless to say i have never watched Big Brother
I can imagine but its because i want to do something towards stopping criminal activity, i have got a really good eye for wrong-un's and attention to detail so i think i would be quite good at it [smiley=policeman.gif]

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Loads of 'civilianised' work in the police, and increasingly so. You'd have no problems working on the communications side, which puts you as close as you can be to the front line work without actually being there. You could also consider forensics, where as a CSI you'll be out on the streets and helping to solve crime but your disablity won't necessarily be an issue.

Get onto your local force's website. It will have a section on career opportunites. Have a good look through it and see if anything catches your eye.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
" ello " " ello " " ello ",, this your car sir ???,, :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There doesnt seem to be a massive amount on the essex police website but I did see 'call handler' which i think would be interesting so I am going to send a letter to the head office in chelmsford and see if there's anything available :p

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
denimblue225turbo said:
There doesnt seem to be a massive amount on the essex police website but I did see 'call handler' which i think would be interesting so I am going to send a letter to the head office in chelmsford and see if there's anything available :p
Few months ago there was a mobile speed camera police job I saw. How about something like that for you? Just see you doing that and then doing your write up's on here ;). I think you would like forensic as Charlie suggested also. So much you could do in the police Glen apart from chasing people, just see you hobbling along ;). Keep their website under your favourites check it every day.

·
Registered
518 Posts
How about working in a Control room for one of the emergency services? It means shift work but you'll be making a real difference to people's lives.

This is from London Ambulance's website:

http://www.londonambulance.nhs.uk/worki ... staff.aspx

Your local Ambulance trust is East of England:

http://www.eastamb.nhs.uk/

If you want any more information, PM me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ldn

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oooo yeah, i could do that, i wouldnt mind who i done it for, i like the idea of the control room operator sector, i would like to be ambulance driver but doubt i would stand much chance there although i have been driving for 5 years and no accidents and only 3 points :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.