Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Looks like the tractor impersonation I've been doing for a few weeks is down to a blown exhaust gasket. Preparing for the worst, there's a good chance the exhaust manifold has also cracked. So if that needs replacing, what are my options?

I can go stock replacement, or maybe some sort of uprated (is that a word?) manifold. I know JBS are/were working on a K04 exhaust manifold so I might give them a call on Monday and see what the story is, but who else makes a better exhaust manifold?

And I'm not entirely sure, but the K03 turbo is for the 180BHP cars, right? And the K04 will be on my 225, right? Don't want to decide on a manifold only to discover it's the wrong one for my engine. :oops:

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Ta,

Mondo

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've had the Turbo to exhaust gasket go twice now. In my case it's because the bolts have worked loose and the escaping gas has burned through the gasket which was only around £5 from the dealers. You can replace this in situ once you remove the charge pipe you can get to the bolts easily (assuming you can undo them easily!) I didn't have any issues with the manifold so fingers crossed for you. I was looking at the JBS offering as an upgrade but it seems to have gone quiet on that front.

John.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
225 wil be a ko4 and will be a 3 bolt manifold. ko3 are 4 bolt manifolds. I cant imagine just cos yoour gasket has gone your turbo mani has :?

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys. Just looking at options if the exhaust manifold is bollox'd - I hope it isn't, but I do know of others whose exhaust manifold had cracked, although whether as a result of a blown gasket or not I don't know.

I suspect changing my own gasket is beyond me. 4Rings were suggesting around 5 hours' labour, and that's from guys that know WTF they're doing. Unlike me. And as JBS seem to be the only people doing upgraded exhaust manifolds, and it is indeed all quiet on that front, it might have to be plan a: get someone to pull the car apart, change the gasket and, if the manifold is cracked, replace it with a standard Audi item. If it's OK, just refit. The advantage of that is I haven't shelled out £400-£500 on an exhaust manifold I don't need.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.