Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

Had my TT a couple of weeks now & i've been really pleased with the car so far. Thought id take advantage of the Audi Coil Pack recall & get a health check done at the same time.
I was'nt suprised when the technician said there were a few bits to look at but was a bit shocked when the total for the work listed came in at over £1200!! [smiley=bigcry.gi

Front & rear discs worn & scored (pads all recently changed) £468
Front anti roll bar damaged £518
Rear anti roll bar damaged £273

This seems a bit ridiculous to me but what price do you think I should be looking at to get the work done at a good indy garage?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
Have a look in the group buy section there is a good deal on discs and pads.

Regards ARB I would take the car to a good local Indy as Audi Dealers seem to bring this up on every health check they do bless them :lol:

·
Registered
442 Posts
You nearly always get the discs scored whenever you have a health check at any garage or for an MOT but depends on how bad they are scored as to wether you get them changed, I paid less than £200 for a new front arb they are prone to the nylon bush collars breaking down, go to a good indie in your area and get them to check it out and give you a price
Ron

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Jamman...As others say, you can get a good deal on discs and pads in the Group Buy section. I bought mine from GSF - they are quite easy to fit yourself or supply to an Indy if you can't. You need a wind-out tool to do the rears.

So far as ARBs damaged - this is 'Stealer speak' for the ARB bush inner plastic collars have cracked / moved / popped out - here is an extract from a post I made in response to an exact problem:

Posted: 25 May 2012, 21:29
I've just replaced the bushes only on my front anti-roll bar (ARB) that was suffering from the same problem as yours with split sleeves - there is really no need to replace the whole ARB just because the silly plastic sleeves have cracked-up or popped out. Just fit smaller bushes (dispensing with the sleeves) and prevent lateral movement by fitting jubilee clips either side - I fitted four but you can get away with just two. Including new droplinks at £15 a side and a tin of squirty silicone spray job done for under £40..!

My front ARB measured 20mm diameter but where the plastic protective coating had been rubbed/fallen off it measured 19mm dia. which is apparently the correct diameter for front ARB on my 2003 quattro 225.

Having gleaned all my info from reading all the posts on this excellent forum about ARB squeaks and droplink knocking and having suffered creaking and knocking for ages on speedbumps etc I squeaked my way to GSF (German Swedish and French) at Farnham and bought standard 19mm bushes. They offered me some 23mm (or so) bushes that are obviously meant for using when the plastic sleeves are intact.

Now all is fitted and MOT passed (with jubilee clips mod fitted and mentioned to MOT inspector) and I cannot believe how smooth, tight and creak/squeak free the ride is - and all for under £40..! It's better than when I bought it six years ago..!

I'm sure that same could be done for rear ARB...?

By the way, my nearside droplink only had an infinitesimal amount of play, offside no play at all but even with that small amount made a hell of a knocking noise. Also the ARB had slid laterally from offside to nearside until it rubbed on the nearest part of the chassis or subframe and made extra gronching noises.

Maybe you could buy the parts and ask your independant garage to do the work..? - it only took me two hours to do.

Hope this helps...Alex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The MOT a couple of months ago showed no issues with discs or arb's, the discs dont seem scored so it could just be Audi trying it on? At least I got the coil packs & a free coffee!

Found an indy garage in Sheffield called Autotecnic, will give them a call.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
chris82 said:
Thanks for the replies.

The MOT a couple of months ago showed no issues with discs or arb's, the discs dont seem scored so it could just be Audi trying it on? At least I got the coil packs & a free coffee!

Found an indy garage in Sheffield called Autotecnic, will give them a call.

Cheers.
I wouldn't worry if the MOT was done so recently - Audi will usually flag the slightest imperfection.

Any good indy garage will do all that for a hell of a lot cheaper in any case (R32 ARBs are a nice little mod and don't cost much more than stock when you do come to replace them & don't forget the brakes GB).

·
Registered
5,667 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
jamman said:
Have a look in the group buy section there is a good deal on discs and pads.

Regards ARB I would take the car to a good local Indy as Audi Dealers seem to bring this up on every health check they do bless them :lol:
They get commision on every ARB they "sell"

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Aaaahhh Audi, whilst I sat in front of the TV drinking the complimentary drinks and looking around the showroom I wondered, who the hell pays for all this fluff....... :roll:
Then I got a defect list and thought ahhhhh they expect me too, but not only that, they appear to want me to sponsor a third world country for a week... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got the fixed price service, stamp in the book and my money was spent elsewhere getting the snags done for a fraction of their pipe dream.. Lol.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm not sure if I need to change my ARB bushes or a drop link but there is an awful knocking over rough ground. I took the car to a local Kwikfit (stupid I know...) but they said I needed to replace the front wishbone rear bushes. Did this and knocking is still there. So the mechanic had a look again and everything seemed tight and secure on each side. But did say there was a little play in the o/s drop link but nothing huge. The handling doesn't feel "tight" if that helps, so should I be looking at the drop link or ARB more?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts