Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of being loaned a brand new C7 S6 last weekend & racked up just shy of 800 miles over 4 days. As somewhat of an Audi fan i thought i'd pen my thoughts on what i can best describe as an outstanding vehicle.

As you'll see from my sig below, i'd owned a selection of fairly nice cars over the years, with the bulk having been fast Audi's, to be blunt though the new S6 knocks all of them into a cocked hat

Firstly the obvious data, this is a £53K car that comes fairly well spec'd from the factory (the car i had benefited from Bose, High Advanced Parking & HUD as optional extras). It's powered by the new 4.0litre V8 TFSi engine that Audi are also using in the new S7 & S8 (higher state of tune in the S8 at just over 500ps) & it's rumoured this engine will also form the power plant of the new RS6 with over 550ps. The drivetrain is a 7 speed s-tronic & the car i had was a saloon. It's on paper performance stats put it a touch quicker 0-62 than the same power but much lighter B7 RS4 & the same weight but much more powerful C6 RS6. This in itself is quick some feet & naturally down to the fantastic new powerplant mated to the ever improving Audi s-tronic box. As it's party piece & due on the main to what Audi call 4 cylinder technology, it can achieve a combined mpg of 30+ & i saw a steady 34mpg during 80mph motorway cruising.

First impressions on the looks were very good as the C7 is a nice looking car, on the S it has a few subtle changes over say an S-Line, such as a different front grill, quad exhausts, S branded interior trim (seats & dash etc.) & the chrome effect wing mirrors. The car i had was a very dark grey & a can best describe the whole package from a looks perspective as subtle & akin with a near perfect Q car. In a more shouty colour such as Sprint Blue, i'm sure the car would stand out alot more.

What i did notice straight away was how direct the steering felt & how planted the car felt, as well as that familiar turbo boost which planted me well into the very supportive S branded sports seats. the car even with only 140 miles on the clock felt very rapid, but didn't shout about it. As i got used to the car & started to play with the toys, i very quickly realised this could be an almost perfect car for my motoring requirements.

At this point it's fair to outline what those motoring requirements are, as these will differ to others no doubt. I've done loud, silly fast & numerous track events, as well as spent an insane amount over the years modifying a variety of cars, so it's fair to say for now i'm looking at my next car to be a consumate all rounder so desire good looks, rapid progress, good on road behaviour, comfortable interior, toys & nowdays a car that isn't going to rape my wallet at every available moment when it comes time to fill the tank or renew the rfl. On all these points this new S6 scores a 10/10.

Need to mention a few of the toys that really caught my eye, firstly the Advanced Parking Camera's, basically you get a full 360 degree view of the car, with cameras front & rear as well as hidden somewhere on the sides. When parking you get a surround view that also includes a birds eye view (no idea how this is achieved) so you can see a digital image of the car with its real surroundings so can even see if you've parked perfectly between white parking lines & what's behind, in front & next to the car (loved this). Also the uprated MMI/Nav that has full Google Maps & web connectivity (useful for booking hotels & finding points of interest among many other uses) Bose sound quality was excellent & more than adequate, however this could be upgraded (for a small fortune) to B&O. A cute touch was the auto boot which not only had the now common place button inside the lid to close it, but for those times when you hands are full & as it's advanced key you'd need that about your person, you basically wave your foot under the rear of the car & the boot opens. The look & feel of the interior was both extremely modern very high quality, nothing rattled or felt loose & the seats both looked amazing & provided fantastic support & comfort.

Can't think of much more to say really, other than i'm already looking at the S6 to replace my A8 when the contract is up & i really do feel it's an exceptional all round vehicle for anyone with similar requirements to me.

Hopefully the link below will take you to a handful of photos i took of the car. They're only taken on a point & shoot & the car was a tad dirty so don't judge the quality

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lvigktbtq87qkz9/_5a9p-Seth?m

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
I had the pleasure of one lap around a track last month in each of the new S6, S7 and S8. With the same engine it was more of a chassis comparison and also a very quick single lap insight, but from that for me the S7 felt the best.

I've not looked at price or features compared to the S6, but I'd certainly suggest trying one if it was in with a shout.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a fan of the A7 shape, just doesn't look right to me & same applies to 5dr A5.

Had heard the S7 was marginally more dynamic, but I believe it's also a gnats todger slower. Trying a new S8 (purely for fun) next week & with an extra 100bhp & an even quicker 0-62, it should be quite a giggle. Could never justify spending that kind of money on any Audi Saloon & have to stay in my Contract for another 15 months.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Lovely car you should write car reviews for Top Gear magazine :roll:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Nice writeup ... I must say Audi has improved leaps and bounds and not many cars will come close to "fast" Audis saloons...

edit: Those seats are awesome!!!

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
Nice write up Paul.

Looks like a great car too. I aways thought an RS6 Avant in a subtle colour would be the ideal all round Q-car.

How was it going from Deseasel back to petrol?

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kell said:
Nice write up Paul.

Looks like a great car too. I aways thought an RS6 Avant in a subtle colour would be the ideal all round Q-car.

How was it going from Deseasel back to petrol?
What made the S6 for me was it's ability to tick every box. OOTB it was very good - excellent in every dept. including economy, so an all round perfect car (depending on ones requirements).

Used to swapping between fuels as Sue's Q5 is petrol. Is of course a better noise from a V8 Turbo than a V6 tdi Turbo :lol:

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jampott said:
Could be tempted with an RS6 version putting out a decent level of BHP. And 30+mpg :)
It's rumoured to have the same engine but with the same power levels as the current C6 RS6. Given in the new S8 that same engine is producing just over 500bhp & is still achieving North of 30mpg combined, i reckon it's possible, however a long shot that Audi will apply the economy settings to an RS model, so i feel although an improvement in pace & economy over the C6 RS6, i doubt it would be quite such a good all rounder as the S6.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Simon H said:
Paul,
Is this the twin trubo V8 ?, and would you rather have it than a standard MY12 GT-R ?, regards, SIMON.
Simon, yes it is the new V8 Turbo. Same new powerplant has gone into the S6/7/8, albeit an extra 100ps in the S8.

Very very different to the GT-R & if i was to head back towards a Sports car then it would likely be a new 991 Turbo before another GT-R as i have to scratch the Pork Turbo itch. Loved my GT-R more than any car i've ever owned, but it's impracticalities did become a frustration & my love of track action meant the car was becoming a very expensive commodity.

Likely i'll stay on he sensible road for a further 2yrs & if that's the case then the new S6 will be very very high on my list of replacements for the A8.

·
Registered
829 Posts
W7 PMC said:
Simon H said:
Paul,
Is this the twin trubo V8 ?, and would you rather have it than a standard MY12 GT-R ?, regards, SIMON.
Simon, yes it is the new V8 Turbo. Same new powerplant has gone into the S6/7/8, albeit an extra 100ps in the S8.

Very very different to the GT-R & if i was to head back towards a Sports car then it would likely be a new 991 Turbo before another GT-R as i have to scratch the Pork Turbo itch. Loved my GT-R more than any car i've ever owned, but it's impracticalities did become a frustration & my love of track action meant the car was becoming a very expensive commodity.

Likely i'll stay on he sensible road for a further 2yrs & if that's the case then the new S6 will be very very high on my list of replacements for the A8.
Paul,
It sounds like you wont be dissapointed with the new S6, especially with the new twin turbo engine. I bet a couple of the tuning firms will soon have an upgrade for that, with mega torque etc. Having to have a bit of a sensible spell myself with cars at the moment, as it looks like a move of house is looming, oh well, all the sweeter when we get back into something really tasty, regards, SIMON.

·
Registered
980 Posts
ive been invited to Berlin next week as a vip customer to test drive all their new s class cars, so ill give you my verdict, it will be a private jet from stansted, staying at the grand hyatt and testing of their s6,7, and 8 models on their private test facility :D

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
vwcheung said:
ive been invited to Berlin next week as a vip customer to test drive all their new s class cars, so ill give you my verdict, it will be a private jet from stansted, staying at the grand hyatt and testing of their s6,7, and 8 models on their private test facility :D
Private jet!!! Lucky man lol!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts