Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently purchased my 2001 Roadster TT Turbo.. This is my first turbo car, so I'm unfamiliar with some of the sounds. Whenever I accelerate, I hear the following noise (not my car, but the sound is the same - been searching for this sound!):

Is that a normal Turbo sound, or is there "boost leak"?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
On my mk one as you accelerate you get a shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh type sound as if sucking air in, it's the induction noise if that is what you are getting? You don't tend to hear the Turbo, the tssh in the link as he changes gear is a dump valve, you don't tend to hear that on the MK1 unless it has had a valve fitted as it normally is quiet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apologies for being a Noob.. I thought MK1 referred to pre-2007?
I have a 2001 - title should read "New to me"... sorry.

The link has the exact sound from about 6 seconds in and again at 12 seconds through 20 seconds.
It sounds like a whistle kinda..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jay-225 said:
was gonna say you have a mk1 ( well says that in the op) .....

anyway from what i can hear on that vid, that sounds like a normal working turbo :p
If that is the case, that's fine...
The sound doesn't bother me, I just hadn't heard it before.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's odd that it doesn't really correspond with the extra boost in HP... that comes a little later.. (seems a pretty long lag too).

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
You will usually hear a turbo spooling before it gives you any really hit in power, from 3k onwards a standard 225 will be on full boost.... before this not much really happens but does make quite a loud hissing sound more so if you have an induction kit fitted!

few other examples of turbo hiss/ whistle sounds to give you an idea what a turbo itself sounds like although both are a little modified and not TT's :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuEJ9DiB ... re=related

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it... Mine makes that sound from the beginning (Even under 2k when accelerating - I hear it in the parking garage!). I'm not the first owner, so I can't say that it hasn't had a modification done - but I doubt it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.