Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm hoping to pick up a new TT (second hand, but new to me) on Tuesday however after getting an AA mechanic to do some tests on it I got a report back saying that the engine idling is slightly erratic and that the headlamp wash is not working. The car is 2001 and has 60,000 miles on the clock. I'm thinking that the erratic idling is gonna manifest itself into a water pump/cam belt replacement shortly. I'm looking for advice on whether to purchase this car or not based on these observations perhaps someone on here can shed some light or give me some guidance. To buy or not to buy that is the question!!!

·
Registered
775 Posts
mickotoole said:
Hey all,

I'm hoping to pick up a new TT (second hand, but new to me) on Tuesday however after getting an AA mechanic to do some tests on it I got a report back saying that the engine idling is slightly erratic and that the headlamp wash is not working. The car is 2001 and has 60,000 miles on the clock. I'm thinking that the erratic idling is gonna manifest itself into a water pump/cam belt replacement shortly. I'm looking for advice on whether to purchase this car or not based on these observations perhaps someone on here can shed some light or give me some guidance. To buy or not to buy that is the question!!!
It wont m8, erratic idle, maybe anything from a faulty coil pack, to the throttle body needing cleaning and reset through VAGCOM

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough, that has put my mind at ease slightly. Looks like I'll have my new car on Tuesday so!!!

A couple of minor points that the engineer brought up about the car that it is missing a battery cover, the turbo half pipe bracket is missing and the offside window operation is noisy ... other than that it's in top notch shape. It's had 5 owners in the last 7 years too ... should that worry me?

Just thinking out loud, once again any comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dont be too put of by the number of owners, most of the teething fauts on the car were probably repaired by them anyway :p

Ive seen a few TT's with a high number of owners, I think a lot sell the cars on due to the expensive maintenance and running costs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.