Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TT fans,

I purchased a 2008 (58) reg TT last weekend. Last night some scum smashed the window and took the Sat Nav unit out, must of been a skilled crook as nothing else was damaged or taken.

Pretty much gutted as i was loving the car till this.

Ive looked on eBay and found 2 different units on sale, does anyone have any idea which one i need?

I saw one which had a Media button as a second button and the other one said TV/CD. I cant remember what it was!!! :oops:

Also is it just a plug and play job?
My car had the sat nav, and bluetooth phone connection and parking sensors has any of this been affected? [smiley=bigcry.gif]

Thanks
J

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,372 Posts
Hi TT58, Can't help with the answers, but feel for you, I would also be gutted. [smiley=bigcry.gif]
Hoggy. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
Scum bags, might be worth posting the eBay links to help with which one is correct :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response.

So does that mean i had the older version one in my 58 reg one? Registered 01/09/2008?

And is it just plug and play back in to the car and slot back in?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Mate,

Thanks for that.

Say if i went for the newer one is that plug and play too?
Besides that is there any configuration to do?

Also is there anything that can stop this from happening again?

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Yes, the newer one would be plug and play too.

Bad luck to have yours stolen. Not much you can do to prevent it, other than security film on the glass. If you've got a thief in the area, who's into this sort of thing, he might well return to nick your replacement. I feel for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi talk-torque,

Thats exactly my thoughts, splash out £700-£1000 on a new unit only for it to be done again! Claiming on insurance will only make me worse of next year.

Seemed like they knew what they were doing as nothing else was touched no screwdriver marks on the dash. Looks like they just smashed the glass put they unit removal keys in pull out unclip and gone. Crooks who dont know what their doing usually try wedge things out with the famous screwdriver then be a total w*nker and use wire cutters and just cut the wires off, its happened to a mates car a few years ago with an aftermarket unit.

Was thinking of getting a more sensitive alarm fitted like a Viper or something.

Sorry to sound stupid but when you say security film do you mean tinting the front windows?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
TT58 said:
Sorry to sound stupid but when you say security film do you mean tinting the front windows?
Security film is similar to tinting film (and can itself be tinted) but tougher and designed to make smash and grab more difficult. See here: http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/supaglass/

It won't stop someone determined to get in, but it buys time, which is all any anti-theft device does.

·
Registered
26 Posts
talk-torque said:
TT58 said:
Security film is similar to tinting film (and can itself be tinted) but tougher and designed to make smash and grab more difficult. See here: http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/supaglass/

It won't stop someone determined to get in, but it buys time, which is all any anti-theft device does.
does anybody have experience of how well this works on the TT with frameless windows?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'd go for an after-maket head unit which are about £350 on Flea Bay as your car is a 2008 J. They come with SAT NAv, Bluetooth, Ipod connection, steering wheel control and much much more.

Your sysem will have been stolen to order which unfortunately is quite common these days.

I hate theiving scumbags.

IMAGE$3E781F44761A9726.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
Stick with OEM - they add value (or devalues without) the value of the car.
Why pay loads of money for a stylish car to fit a poorly finished designed generic unit to save a few pennies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts