Audi TT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first set were Continental Contisportcontact 5 which came from factory, they were fine no issues as such but towards the end one tire had a bubble and another was just losing air through some fine cracks in the side wall. The roads in my city are shite so what applies to me might not apply to everyone. Now I've switched over to Michelin pilot sport 4s and I can tell you there is a huge difference between these two. PS4s are the best tires I've ever owned, a lot more responsive and grip levels are phenomenal. The contisportcontact6 are out now never tried those so no idea, don't know anyone who's tried those either so can't comment, maybe they are better than CSC5? I'd recommend PS4S blindly though!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Harsha369 said:
My first set were Continental Contisportcontact 5 which came from factory, they were fine no issues as such but towards the end one tire had a bubble and another was just losing air through some fine cracks in the side wall. The roads in my city are shite so what applies to me might not apply to everyone. Now I've switched over to Michelin pilot sport 4s and I can tell you there is a huge difference between these two. PS4s are the best tires I've ever owned, a lot more responsive and grip levels are phenomenal. The contisportcontact6 are out now never tried those so no idea, don't anyone who's tried those either so can't comment, maybe they are better than CSC5? I'd recommend PS4S blindly though!
Spoke to a friend who got some Hankook from factory he is planning to change to ps4s or csc6, will keep you guys posted. He said the hankooks were very mediocre.

·
Registered
51 Posts
*UPDATE* My friend went with Michellin Pilot Sport 4S as well. People here prefer the PS4S over the continental CSC6. Anyone else with further input on CSC6 should share their experience.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
I've recently bought a mk3 TTS
When Buying it the car had hankooks on it but it needed 2 front tyres
They said they would replace the fronts before I collected it, which they did but they didn't match the rears.

I'd already in my head decided I'd put some good quality tyres on all round.

On my mk2 I had Goodyear f1's and was very happy with them but fancied a change

Ended up on getting conti 6's
Found the ride to be smooth, noise to be a lot better and the grip is awesome, drove it last night for the first time in the wet and made an effort to push it hard on islands etc to test wet grip and found them to be excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
802 Posts
moro anis said:
I had Yokohamas on mine (20") and was very pleased with them.

Very quiet, good road holding in all conditions plus a kerbing band.
My TTS 20" came with Yokohama Advan Sport V105's. Those and the (awful) Pirelli P Zero are the OEM spec tires (yes, i haha) here in the states. None of the other (limited) options for the 20" wheels come close to these in terms of test results and reviews, so I'll be keeping with these even though they're a bit pricy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
ReTTro fit said:
I've recently bought a mk3 TTS
When Buying it the car had hankooks on it but it needed 2 front tyres
They said they would replace the fronts before I collected it, which they did but they didn't match the rears.

I'd already in my head decided I'd put some good quality tyres on all round.

On my mk2 I had Goodyear f1's and was very happy with them but fancied a change

Ended up on getting conti 6's
Found the ride to be smooth, noise to be a lot better and the grip is awesome, drove it last night for the first time in the wet and made an effort to push it hard on islands etc to test wet grip and found them to be excellent

Totally agree with this, the Contis are great tyres, the Hankooks just don't do it on a performance car that is Quattro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S fitted yesterday. £720 with mobile fitting from Black Circles. They feel better then the Hankooks so far but I've not really tested them yet. Have to say though, the Hankook lasted almost 30k miles on the front. Quite surprised by that.

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
So new tyres feel better than old tyres... [smiley=book2.gif]

·
Registered
421 Posts
Toshiba said:
So new tyres feel better than old tyres... [smiley=book2.gif]
Well quite. No surprise to me, hence I am reserving judgement for now!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
How are the MPS4S performing in the cold weather? My Bridgestone tyres are fairly poor in the cold weather.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
handyman said:
I had 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S fitted yesterday. £720 with mobile fitting from Black Circles. They feel better then the Hankooks so far but I've not really tested them yet. Have to say though, the Hankook lasted almost 30k miles on the front. Quite surprised by that.
Yes, I found the Hankooks wear very well, about all they do well though, well that and fuel consumption. Binned mine when only half worn on my latest TTS, as I also had them on my 16 plate TTS and on cold, wet roads they offered almost no grip at all and their propensity to tramline is shocking. I too have put the Michelin PS on my car, night and day better than the Hankook!

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's been a few days now. I've done about 200 miles with the new tyres in both wet and dry conditions. They are very grippy when compared to the Hankooks and I'm able to take specific corners with a lot more confidence than before. I've noticed a huge reduction in the traction control light coming on. Vey impressed!

·
Registered
350 Posts
tt3600 said:
How are the MPS4S performing in the cold weather? My Bridgestone tyres are fairly poor in the cold weather.
Poorly. But not worse than any other uhp summer tyre. The tt inspires a lot of confidence in its grip and handling, but not a lot of feedback, so you have to be careful in conditions below 5c in any summer tyre as they start losing grip fast, and can just understeer away without much warning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been looking for new tyres (245/35/19) and have found MPS4S for £185 each at Costco but from Monday there is a voucher for £100 off when buying 4, comes in at around £640 fitted or there are Bridgestones for £155 each with £80 off, about £540 fitted, if ordered before midnight Sunday, just in case anyone needs new tyres.
I'll be ordering 4 Michelin next week.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Managed to get 17k miles out of my Pirellis, but at a couple of mm off the wear bars they are now losing grip, so time to change.

Before I opt for the Michelin Pilot Sports 4s at £203.39 each from Black circles, are there any other recommendations for the RS?????

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Further to my post above, just done a bit more research and the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's are getting better scores than the Michelin.

Has anyone tried the Asy5's??

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Right now, MPS4 are just £168 inc. VAT per tyre fitted at Kiwkfit, plus you get a free dashcam worth £80 (probably crap). If you're looking to change right now, this is a no brainer IMO. If you're on Hankooks, you'll be mortified how badly they compare to the MPS4 and surprisingly (to me) the fuel economy is pretty good on them too - I've regularly been getting high 30's on the daily commute. Wear is good as well.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Mark Pred said:
Right now, MPS4 are just £168 inc. VAT per tyre fitted at Kiwkfit, plus you get a free dashcam worth £80 (probably crap). If you're looking to change right now, this is a no brainer IMO. If you're on Hankooks, you'll be mortified how badly they compare to the MPS4 and surprisingly (to me) the fuel economy is pretty good on them too - I've regularly been getting high 30's on the daily commute. Wear is good as well.
Yes Mark that is a good deal, unfortunately Kwikfit are not showing any of my size in stock - 255/30/20. Don't know if it is worth going to the local Kwikfit to see if they can get any.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Update to my last post. Decided on MPS4S. Qwikfit are not carrying stock of RS 20" tyres, but a chat with the manager at the local branch revealed that even if they did, they could not match the Black Circles price of £202. Had budgeted £1k to replace tyres, so pretty happy at £808 for 4, leaving change for first service at an independent :p

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Did you apply the promo before buying and get the 10% discount, as that still seems a lot compared to what I paid, albeit for 19's... Kwikfit don't do much to make it very obvious that there's a promo running on Michelins right now. I only found it by luck more than judgement. Saved I think it was about £80 after adding the discount code at check in :eek: Free dashcam too, but hasn't arrived yet. You won't be disappointed with them, excellent tyres!

https://www.kwik-fit.com/offers/michelin-offer

21 - 40 of 106 Posts