Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I currently own a BMW Z4 which I took delivery of in April this year. I am a very active member over on the Z4-forum and this place seems as active and friendly as over there. Anyway, not to bore you with too many details but I am considering selling / rejecting the car due to many issues and contemplating alternatives. To be honest it has put me off BMW as a brand, not only with the faults on a brand new car but the way in which BMW are dealing with the issues.

I have owned a number of Audi's in the past.. I had a Mk1 TT 225BHP back in 2001, a brand spanking new A3 2.0TDI sport DSG in 2004 and an A3 3.2 Quattro Sport DSG in 2007. All have been good cars if not as enjoyable to drive as the string of BMW 3 series and Z4's that I have owned (please dont shoot me for that comment on an Audi Forum) :oops:

Anyway, I quite fancy the thought of a TTS, not sure wheter coupe or roadster at the minute. Just hoping that someone could point me in the right direction of what to look out for, what's the must haves? I do love the look of the bucket seats I have to say but these seem to be quite rare, especially when looking at approved used ones on Audi's website.

Also, what's the servicings costs like on the TTS? Road fund lisence? realistic MPG? etc...

Thanks in advance people.

John

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
First of all welcome to the TT Forum lol. Glad you came over from the dark and somewhat uneliable side :lol:

The TTS isn't too bad on fuel and i believe 30-35mpg is achievable on longer run obviously when you boot it then expect 15-20mpg maybe even less. It's a damn good car with the quattro system and the engine pulls well throughout the rev range.

What colour are you looking for?

TTS look stunning in Coupe and Roadsters.

I still would love a TTS but my TFSI will do (for now) lol :p

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Hi John and welcome to the forum :) .

I bought an Audi Used Approved TTS 3 weeks ago after 6.5 years of owning a MK1 225.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with a TTS - I would say get a test drive asap. I loved my MK1 but this car is in a different league in terms of handling - it actually feels like a sports car.

As for must haves, subjective of course - mine were 19" wheels, RNS-E SatNav Plus, bluetooth phone kit and Bose (although I'm not that impressed with the Bose to be honest). SatNav is the only option that will add resale value (approx £1k) - it gets slated by some on here as there is no full postcode entry and is generally a bit 'old' but I like it.

Road tax is £250 a year for the manual, you are probably aware of potential issues with the Stronic gearbox.

Can't comment on servicing costs yet but the fuel consumption is surprisingly good - I get 32mpg on my 21 mile commute which is admittedly mostly motorway but I don't hang about so I thought 30+ was very good.

Hope you get one - no doubt lots more advice will follow.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Welcome!

I've been with Audi for the last 10 years, the last two cars being TT's. When it came time to change my last TT, I tried a couple of Beemers (admittedly both 3 series, not Z4). I also tried the TTS and, for me, it was not contest. In my opinion the TTS is one of the nicest places to sit; I found the Beemers well put together inside but very dull. Driving-wise it's the perfect combination of performance and practicality. It's no Lambo - not even close - but I can get (with the rear seats down) 4 big suitcases in the back, plus hand luggage. On the public roads it's plenty fast enough; I guess if I was wanting to track something, I'd look for something else. It's fun, affordable and a great everyday car.

As for fuel consumption, I get around 33 average. I don't hang about and only intermittently go on motorways, driving mostly on country roads and A roads. As for extras, I concur with WozzaTT - especially regarding the RNS-e. As he says, not the best satnav around but I really like it and don't find the postcode thing an issue at all. The other thing I would always go for are reversing sensors, which you can get as part of the Comfort pack. The TT has fairly poor rearward visibility and I find them really useful. I also really like the lighting pack, but it's hardly essential.

I hope you join us and happy hunting [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I probably have one of the worst congested commutes - a round trip of around 15 miles, twice per day. In Winter I get around 21-22 mpg while in this warmer weather I'm getting around 25-26 mpg on the same commute. On the motorway or open roads, I get around 30mpg without hanging about. That figure could be improved considerably with a lighter right foot but then.... why buy a TTS?

Performance of the TTS is pretty blistering but it's also hugely practical with loads of storage space - particularly with the rear seats folded down. Putting all that power down in pretty well any conditions is no problem at all with the Quattro 4WD. Detractors of the TTS say it's too easy to drive quickly and I suppose it is - it's superbly well planted, but if that bothers you then look elsewhere.

The TTS is easily the best car I've owned- ticks all the boxes for me and I can't really see anything I'd fancy replacing it with without spending a LOT more money.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome to the forum! (although admittedly I'm fairly 'new' myself)

TTS is a fantastic car - you will not be disappointed! I bought my TTS coupe (PCP arrangement with Audi) new in March this year and have loved every minute of it. Not very many where I live - have only ever seen 3 other local(ish) ones in the 5 months of owning mine.

Smooth, quiet and well-behaved on the motorway, yet an absolute animal on the B roads and country lanes if you want to put your foot down and have a play. My best mate owns a Kawazaki ZX6r and it struggles to keep up on a bendy/hilly road...

MPG? 25-28 around town, 30ish on a longer journey with a mix of A and B roads, and up to 33 on the motorway. Cold starts drink fuel (as does very cold weather), but once warmed up, or if driving on a warm day then I usually get 28+mpg.

My road tax (current pricing) is £210 for TTS coupe with manual gearbox. This is slightly cheaper that earlier TTS versions. First year is £315, but that's included in the OTR price. Can't comment on servicing as not had a service yet...

Practical as well as fun - I can get two sets of golf clubs in the boot, or quite a lot of luggage and shopping. Being able to put the seats down and create a bigger boot space was something that really appealed to me.

RNS-e system is apparently is the only optional extra that holds any value long-term, but the sat-nav is pretty poor to be honest. My girlfriend's new Renault Clio has a built in TomTom system which is far better - for example the Audi won't let you put in post codes and is very fiddly to operate whilst driving. However the sound quality is good and I like the visual display. Worth mentioning that most TTSs, as they are near the top of the range, have RNS-e built in, so if, like me, you were looking at dealerships with TTSs in stock, then they'll probably have RNS-e fitted unless you order one brand new and don't specify it... (that's my experience anyway, others may dispute that).

Rear parking sensors are an investment (as already mentioned) and I now rely on them all the time given the lack of vis at the rear.

Of course it all boils down to personal preference, budget, your expectations and what you're looking for in a car, but if it was up to me I'd sign the dotted line for you! :p

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I looked at both the Z4 and the TTS.

Ended up with the TTS - The Z4 i was looking at was quicker... the 3.5 but lack of space and it being only car pushed me to look at the TT.

What did it for me was like others have said you can drive the TTS very quick with out it trying to kill you....

Found the Z4 in a test drive in the wet putting the power down you had to time it.

Guess some may say the TTS is too clinical in its drive and lacks that driver feel but after a long day i like something i can just relax and drive without any worries thanks to the 4 wheel drive. Forgiving if i push a little bit to hard on a roundabout for example.

Servicing is good - £150 - £300 jobs.

Very nice cabin to be inside but i would say must have is parking / Bose as the standard speaker set-up was poor (not saying Bose is great but better than standard) / Sat Nav and interior lights. Nothing else really missing....

You can always retro fit cruise control if you want it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you're even considering the roadster then it is definitely the way to go.

It only loses out marginally on practicality (coupe rear seats are next to useless). You'd regret a coupe on a nice day when the roof could be down!

Cost wise, I'm similar to those above. Mine has averaged 31mpg since I've had it. Best of 37, worst of 27.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Hiya,
Love my TTS roadster. The fit and finish for the cost when you look at the interior is superb and the performance for a four pot is amazing, even more so after a remap. A friend that lives local to me had a Z4 for about a year and was shocked at how much the service/repairs cost him. Also come the winter with the dreadfull no weight in the rear problem he sold it.
If you need a boot or have small kids go for the coupe and have to say it also has nicer lines. If you would like a convertible that has decent boot space with a cracking roof then plumb for the roadster.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi there,
I was also considering a z4, but thankfully did not go down that route. Probably due to a d... Salesman who thought I could not afford! Tts is great fun, would opt for roadster if you can. I have auto box, which means I can hold onto the steering wheel with both hands when giving it the beans! Also found out about launch control which gives it 0-60 in 4.9! Not so good for fuel consumption, but oh well. Would get Bluetooth, don't know if this is standard and agree with other posts re parking sensors. If you buy from Audi they can fit genuine ones if needed. The ride is great, better than my mrs copper.
Enjoy the test drive

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Chrispy12 said:
If you're even considering the roadster then it is definitely the way to go.

It only loses out marginally on practicality (coupe rear seats are next to useless). You'd regret a coupe on a nice day when the roof could be down!

Cost wise, I'm similar to those above. Mine has averaged 31mpg since I've had it. Best of 37, worst of 27.
:? Can't say that on a nice day I've ever regretted buying a coupe.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Go for test drive, the dealer will have to cut your hand off to get the keys back.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
Hi JDM and welcome to the forum.

I've had my TTS for 6 months. It's my 3rd TT and 2nd roadster. I love it to bits. It can be both relaxing and anamilistic. Comfort and quietness is great. I've recently done a 500 mile round trip twice and suffer no discomfort when I get out of the car.

The TTS has all the nice bits as standard, Xenon lights with DRLs, magnetic ride suspension, extended front spoiler, rear diffuser, sideskirts and 4 exhausts. It looks the part.

Economy is much as said. I get about 26 round town and 34 on motorways. If you get big stretches of SPEC cameras or restrictions you can get it up to 36.

Also, as said there aren't many TTS on the road. In the 6 months I've had mine I've only seen about 6 on the road whilst travelling about.

Whatever people write, the only thing is to go and try one to see for yourself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys,

Many thanks for all your replies, adivce and welcomes so far.. I've been having a mooch around the site and you all seem a great bunch.

Well I have an appointment at my local Audi dealership this evening to just look at my options. I dont think I will be able to stretch to a new one as there doesnt appear to be any significant discounts available on new PCP deals as I got with my Z4 so may have to look at a used one. Having said that from past experience its normally the new cars where the deals are to be had.

What I have noticed is there are quite a few that are cheaper outside the AUC sector at independent garages. I suppose it wouldnt be too much problem sourcing one from here if its been maintained properly with FASH and that is still under manufacturers warranty. This will at least give you the option to extend it when it runs out?

The servicing and running costs dont sound bad at all to say its an S..

Here's hoping that I will be joining you all soon on the quattro road of fun [smiley=cheers.gif]

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Should be fine I would have thought. You might want to get an AA/RAC inspection for complete peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Let us know how you get on.

As for Coupe V Roadster.
If you need a good size boot or children then Coupe wins hands down because with the seat down it's amazing for a Coupe.
If you don't need to carry children and a good size boot will do you, then why not look at a Roaster.

As for looks one over the other, well that's personal taste, The coupe looks stunning and elegant, the roadster with roof up looks meaner a bit more aggressive to me but not so elegant.
Roof down.....OMG love it and the look is breath taking.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Try price matching at the dealer....

Orange wheels.com have cracking deals and the car is delivered via the dealer in the same way so the dealer will often match the price, you dont ask you dont get.....

Spec a new tts on Orange wheels and take the online quote into the Dealer, my bet is he/she will match it!

8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts