Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first post on here although I've been perusing it for some time. Has been very useful in deciding on my choice of mk2. I took delivery end of Feb spec is 2.0T TTR ice silver, turbines, magma nappa leather, black extended leather, bluetooth and MFSW. It replaces a BMW Z4 2.5si sport roadster in midnight blue with pale grey leather.

These are my thoughts so far:

1) Outside of the car is amongst the prettiest of any, even with money no object it's only perhaps a F355 or Gallardo that imo look better. I'm sure there will be some of you that laugh at that but hey I'm blown away every time I look at it.

2) Interior is nicer than the Z4, better instrumentation and feel. However I'm not convinced yet that the driving position is as good, my back feels strained sometimes when changing gear and the seats don't hug you quite as well. Saying that the Z4 has an amazingly good driving position compared to most.

3) Driving it is sweet. Having gone from a naturally aspirated straight six I'm finding the turbo engine great fun. I like boost particularly when the lag is negligible. The engine is very refined although I do miss the sport button on the Z4 as this sharpens the throttle response and stiffens the suspension. It's a very obvious change. Figures for the two cars are about the same and I'd say they feel as fast as each other if only in a different way. Gear change is nicer in that it's smoother, the Z4 change felt slightly notchy. I'm still assessing the handling which feels different, a little less planted. The TC has kicked in once or twice and I'd say that any more power would be better in RWD or need AWD. Overall the TT feels like more of a comfortable (and it is considerably more so than the Z4) fast cruiser. Definitely more of a posers car than an out of out sports car imo but hell looking good's not so bad! And it does match the performance of the Z4 in reality anyway.

4) Toys. I absolutely love getting the roof down, it's a very good mechanism plus the electric wind deflector is so cool. Reminds me of the James Bond DB5 rear shield and makes you for a moment feel like that's what you are....for a second anyway! The spoiler is also very cool, I can't resist watching it now every time I hit a dual carriageway (with a greater than 70mph limit of course :wink: ) Stereo is quite good but does lack something in the bass end. The Z4's would buzz at certain frequencies which was not nice but the TT's is solid and smooth in the mid to high end. I'm a pro sound engineer so know what I'm listening to. It's no B&W/Krell but as a standard set up it's acceptable to me. Plus it seems the Bose is not much better if at all. Wheels - love the look of the Turbines on a silver TTR, there are lots of good publicity shots out there that swung that combination for me. Wasn't sure at first, the bi colours were a v close second. The Trapez look a tad small and dull, the RS4's I think look a bit after market. I'm pleased with the Magma, it looks closer to burgundy for me and not as "brothel" as I thought it might be. Phew! Extended adds the nice final touch to the interior and is worth it for me.

Now for the question and slight problem I've had with the phone setup. I have a SE K750i which pairs up and works with the BT fine. However I have installed an Audi compatible phone cradle which works with the phone, charges it, turns off BT (as it's supposed to) and makes and receives calls. Great - only problem is that the audio when plugged in to the cradle is much much lower, almost inaudible when the phone level set on the MFSW is the same as when using BT. I can't hear it ringing. Only solution is to turn the phone level on the MFSW up to virtually maximum but this allows increases the hiss and background noise (less signal to noise ratio). Audi say that a firmware update may cure this as when they tested it with one of their phones it worked fine. I have tried to update the phone but the application says my s/w is up to date.

Before I go and change phone has anyone got any ideas of how to resolve this?

Thanks guys.

Si

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse.... cough.... forum. Glad to see you've got taste :wink: Would love to see a couple of pics.

As for the phone, and maybe its just too simple a suggestion, but is the internal phone volume dictating the volume via the cradle? In which case have you checked the volume settings on the phone? Just a thought.

I don't have cradle, BT for me with Nokia 6310i. No problems. Others with Sony ericsson might be able to better advise.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Nicely balanced thoughts there Si [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I agree with most of what you say - especially the Ice & Turbines choices :p

Would have been interesting to hear your handling thoughts if you had Mag Ride too...

You're spot on with the Audio too (as you should be!). I found that there is an absolute abundance of mids, upper mids and highs in the BOSE system, which when cut certainly aid the low end, but there is definite room for additional support down there

Anyway, enjoy! (oh and yes, piccys as soon as you're ready fella... chop chop ;))

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, being a newbie it's nice to get a warm welcome. Good idea BobFat I'll try the phone volume when in the cradle but I'm not sure I can see why it would do that if it doesn't with other handsets. I'm going to try it with my daughter's Sony (different model can't remember which) and see if that behaves the same way.

Cheers for the reply Janitor, in retrospect mag ride should have been on my list but when I test drove it the standard set up seemed OK. However the TT-S spec does seem to be the all round right package for the TT.

Anyway will get some pics up asap, only seems fair.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good review chief. It's nice to hear your opinions and thoughts and comparisions with Z4, a car I always admired, althought prefere the coupe. Reading your review makes me want mine yesterday. Only one month to go hopefully. Anyway, welcome to the site. 8)

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Interesting read - thanks!

I was seriously tempted by the 3.0 Coupe Z4 but when I test drove it I found it tended dart around and was potentially tiresome. Fantastic (and I MEAN FANBLOODYTASTIC) engine though.

Agree that the TT is less focused, but for me that's a good thing on the whole (must be getting old :oops: ) It's an easier everyday proposition. Having said that if I had a run about to go to work, it would be 3.0 Z4 Roadster in my garage (and I still might do that!)

Also agree that BOSE is not really worth it, but it's nice to see someone who actually knows what they are talking about confirm it.

Hope you find the whole Audi experience rewarding and thanks again for a top class 1st post!

Oh yes - Welcome [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Welcome, never driven a Z4 but kind of got what you are saying.

Have fun.

Pictures are mandatory! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.