Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya!
just bought a mk1 TT and I love it. However my last car was a mini cooper S and the TT doesnt feel that much quicker. Im interested in a remap, seen some cheap ones on the internet in my area i.e. £150 for a full remap but are there any good? has anyone had experience with these or should i go for something a bit more expensive. i just need to know what people recommend etc.
Also im thinking of changing the exhaust and induction kit, should i do this before a remap or doesnt it matter? and what is a WAK box? ive seen them mentioned on the forums?

Cheers lads

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
Might be worth letting us know your location for recommendations

Welcome to he TTF :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Nugz_TT said:
Hiya!
just bought a mk1 TT and I love it. However my last car was a mini cooper S and the TT doesnt feel that much quicker. Im interested in a remap, seen some cheap ones on the internet in my area i.e. £150 for a full remap but are there any good? has anyone had experience with these or should i go for something a bit more expensive. i just need to know what people recommend etc.
Also im thinking of changing the exhaust and induction kit, should i do this before a remap or doesnt it matter? and what is a WAK box? ive seen them mentioned on the forums?

Cheers lads
A wakbox is a DIY mod to increase induction noise. You basically derestict it and drill some holes in the standard airbox.

If you're looking at a remap and also thinking of a new exhaust it's prob best to do all the mods 1st. You'll also want to change the DV to a Forge 007 or similar as the standard one isn't great.

I'd be warey of cheap remaps. There are loads of places people will recommend on here depending on where you live....

·
Registered
83,930 Posts
Nugz_TT said:
just found out what a WAK box is lmao i was always told not to drill holes in the air box but if it works i migt just do it
It defo works as for remap I would go with one of the better known companies such as REVO APR etc

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Nugz_TT said:
cheers for the help lads, Im from north east lincolnshire does anyone know if there are any reputable places round here?
do your wak box and exhaust and any other bits first, then get the remap, if youre close to Cannock or fancy a trip out to Cannock then Midland VW will do you a stage1 remap (Custom Codes) for about £250.

After having work done by them a few weeks back my car wont be going anywhere else from now on and my remap is next on my list!

I would be very carefull from buying a remap off the net, i know a guy from way back who does remaps for BMW's and i assure you he's absolutely pants, but still manages to *fish* people in for cheap money, but when the shit hits the fan, he walks away!!!

What bhp TT do you have at the mo?

·
Registered
240 Posts
i like how everyone here calls it a wak box lol,its just a drilled airbox,people have been doing it on all types of cars for god knows how long,anyway,im a big fan of AMD,they always seem to map the car perfectly to suit your needs,know exactly what they are doing and keep you involved

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
marknjayne said:
i like how everyone here calls it a wak box lol,its just a drilled airbox,people have been doing it on all types of cars for god knows how long,anyway,im a big fan of AMD,they always seem to map the car perfectly to suit your needs,know exactly what they are doing and keep you involved
I did the WakBox on my RSturbo about 12 years back lol maybe we sould call it the st3V3 Box

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers st3v3 I'll take your advice, I'll look on the net when I've got time to see how far midland vw is away from me. I've got the 225 version. So I've got a list of mods in mind now, forge DV, wak box, pipercross panel filter, some sort of exhaust system (been looking at custom ones coz I've found they are cheaper than miltek) and a remap. What sort of bhp should I be kicking out after that lot?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Nugz_TT said:
Cheers st3v3 I'll take your advice, I'll look on the net when I've got time to see how far midland vw is away from me. I've got the 225 version. So I've got a list of mods in mind now, forge DV, wak box, pipercross panel filter, some sort of exhaust system (been looking at custom ones coz I've found they are cheaper than miltek) and a remap. What sort of bhp should I be kicking out after that lot?

Cheers
You're probably looking at 30 to 40bhp for a stage 1 remap. To be honest, the mods you're planning won't particularly add anything extra. I assume you're going to add a catback exhaust?

·
Registered
14,496 Posts
Nugz_TT said:

Cheers
All depends who is doing the map ,
I've had stage 1 on mine , and car was pushing 276bhp 426nm ,

Send from my Android using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ive had my TT 225 for a few weeks now and the first thing I did was buy a wak box with pipercross filter, this gave the car a better sound when pulling off, then a couple of weeks ago I had a stage 1 remap done at CCTuning, this took the car to 276BHP, I was told it could of gone to more but once you start pushing over 280 its time to start upgrading a few other bits. My remap was £250 so not the cheapest but definitely worth it if you get someone who knows what there doing, it was like driving a completely different car when I drove home.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Callum_TT225 said:
Ive had my TT 225 for a few weeks now and the first thing I did was buy a wak box with pipercross filter, this gave the car a better sound when pulling off, then a couple of weeks ago I had a stage 1 remap done at CCTuning, this took the car to 276BHP, I was told it could of gone to more but once you start pushing over 280 its time to start upgrading a few other bits. My remap was £250 so not the cheapest but definitely worth it if you get someone who knows what there doing, it was like driving a completely different car when I drove home.
51bhp on a stage 1?? Was that at Midland VW? How did they measure it?

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Callum_TT225 said:
... I had a stage 1 remap done ... took the car to 276BHP...
Really? For £250? Fair play to you. That's very impressive for just Stage 1 and a Wak'd panel filter. I have silicone hoses everywhere, FMIC, cold air feed, high flow twin cone filter, 3" TIP, 3" downpipe, sports cat and twin back boxes, phenolic spacer, Stage 2 remap... and make 276bhp also.

My point? I would bag yourself a copy of the free VCDS-Lite software and a £10 USB-to-OBD-port cable and log your air mass flow to confirm your BHP. Don't want to start another 'I don't believe your BHP figures' thread - we had one of those recently and it didn't end well - but for your own satisfaction I'd try to verify exactly the figures you're getting.

Happy to help with the logging. Took me awhile to work it out, but now I do it myself every now and then, when I change something on the car. Pretty straightforward, actually.

And to the OP, I know it's miles away, but you could do worse (but not much better) than driving down to Staines to see The Sultan thereof. :wink:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Callum_TT225 said:
pretty high figures..
what did it make before the map?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Mondo said:
And to the OP, I know it's miles away, but you could do worse (but not much better) than driving down to Staines to see The Sultan thereof. :wink:
That thar be what i will be doing once i recover from me last visit to 'im.

·
Registered
582 Posts
badger5 said:
Callum_TT225 said:
CCTunin... took the car to 276BHP
pretty high figures..
Unfortunately they have one of 'those' websites that once you've selected your manufacturer, model and engine will happily tell you that you'll gain an additional 54bhp from stock...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Jakalus said:
badger5 said:
Callum_TT225 said:
CCTunin... took the car to 276BHP
pretty high figures..
Unfortunately they have one of 'those' websites that once you've selected your manufacturer, model and engine will happily tell you that you'll gain an additional 54bhp from stock...
oh dear.
for the 1st time for a long time I had a 1.8t in for mapped (a TT APX) which actually made stock power... where most are 10-15bhp down at least these days from ailing rotten pipes, splits, leaks, and general old car milage issues.

even so, the std map made 222bhp it did make went to 230bhp when I fixed its.... yep, you got it, leaky pipe (pcv one under manifold split in 3 places.. 8bhp recovered from this. Only mod being a cone filter on it. This one seemed a rare "goodun" - wish I saw more as good. Sadly not likely it seems

1 - 20 of 22 Posts